Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Why this site doesn't rock anymore

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:32 PM
JMC
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5, Silverstone II/Black

I have both and F10 (535d MSport) and an E60 (LCI M5) now and I still use the E60 archive as a resource when I need to. Most of the knowledge I gained about my 3 E60s I got from this site and I'm grateful for the diversion and often comedy of the discussions as well as the vast amount of wisdom on the cars themselves that people were happy to share. I haven't posted very much in the many years I've been a member - I'm a great believer in the tenet of only contributing if what I have to add is valuable or at least novel, and I frankly didn't know as much about the cars as some of the senior members, so I've stayed pretty quiet. But I have enjoyed reading plenty.

Since I started looking at an F10 though it hasn't been the same at all. I bought and generally like my F10 but still have mixed feeling about it. It's certainly a change in direction in a BMW in my experience and I'm not sure I'll stay with it, although I'll probably keep my M5 until its a museum piece. But any attempts to discuss openly and honestly the change in character of the cars, and even to gain and/or share insights into the best combination of spec to get the character of car I want, or to compare to alternative marques have been frustrating and disheartening.

Unlike the earlier days of the site when it was E60.net, there is little honest attempt to engage by some of the people on here, and they have spoiled the experience for me. Some of the members are, frankly, active bullies and contribute nothing except noise and vitriol, and I don't want a part of it anymore. If anyone raises a question about the F10 it doesn't necessarily mean they are trolling, they may just have concerns that deserve to be treated with respect. Getting shouted down, flamed or abused by overdefensive members (I'm sure I don't have to spell out who I'm talking about), who seem to be so thin-skinned as to take offence at the smallest perceived slight just causes members not to want to contribute. The upshot is that the culture of debate is now, I think, gone. At best everyone will simply agree with each other that the F10 is indeed a marvel with no faults (and what an anodyne and pointless exercise that is), and at worst you have to wade through petty abuse and repetitive aggression to get to any value a thread may hold.

The bottom line is that if this site can't moderate the abusive posters who add no value except noise, I have to say I'm out. I'm sure many will think "so what", but I think it's a shame when a site that was at the forefront of car sites turns off people like me.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Sorry to hear that you are leaving. Drink water and stay motivated. Always give the wave to a fellow Bimmer enthusiast.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by tonymac
Sorry to hear that you are leaving. Drink water and stay motivated. Always give the wave to a fellow Bimmer enthusiast.
+1. Well said.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Drink water and stay motivated

Bwahahahahaaahaaa fookin macaroni

OP gripe TL;DR petes550 is a bully
/thread