5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Site Comments & Suggestions (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/)
-   -   Flood control (https://5series.net/forums/site-comments-suggestions-10/flood-control-2071/)

530E60NL 08-05-2004 02:28 AM

Flood control is enabled on this board, please wait 30 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

I sometimes get this message if I am to quickly replying on certain topics. Is there a possibility to get it back to 15 seconds. Especially when posting several pictures this is more userfriendly.

TIA! :thumbsup:

Rudy 08-05-2004 05:04 AM

Here's a little trick I use when posting multiple attachments. It doesn't get past the flood control issue, it just uses the time more efficiently.

When posting more than one attachment in a row, make the first post without any attachment. Then, go back and edit that post and add the attachment. Depending on the size of the attachment, it takes a few seconds to upload. Usually, once the upload is finished, the flood control timer is already expired and you can post the new (second) message immediately. Repeat this process until the last attachment (no need to do it on the last one).

Iceman 08-05-2004 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 5 2004, 03:04 PM
Here's a little trick I use when posting multiple attachments. It doesn't get past the flood control issue, it just uses the time more efficiently.

When posting more than one attachment in a row, make the first post without any attachment. Then, go back and edit that post and add the attachment. Depending on the size of the attachment, it takes a few seconds to upload. Usually, once the upload is finished, the flood control timer is already expired and you can post the new (second) message immediately. Repeat this process until the last attachment (no need to do it on the last one).

But when posting a couple pics in a row it takes about 30 seconds to find the file on your computer, add it, etc... So when I post more pics in a row I'm not having a problem... so far...

530E60NL 08-05-2004 12:18 PM

That is a great one.. I know the flood control is against abusement. But I find your tip very helpful to overcome the waiting!

Jimbo 08-05-2004 05:45 PM

I've been on other boards where the flood control is 10 seconds. There were never any problems associated with someone "flooding" the board with replies. With the delays in the Internet and computers in general, it works out to be somewhat longer and worked fine.

Lomag 08-05-2004 05:48 PM

Hmmm yeah, flooding is probably not a big problem. 30 seconds should be fine though since Guest's are allowed to post we don't want issues from them.

Jimbo 08-07-2004 06:37 PM

The easiest thing to do is to test a 10 or 15 second "flood control" for a period of time. If it becomes a problem, then change it. The well-mannered members shouldn't be inconvenienced just in case a guest is not. An ill-mannered guest can always be made "read-only" or banned if a problem arises.

browellm 08-09-2004 06:36 AM

It's an odd one because sometimes if I get a flood control warning when trying to reply, I can hit "quote" instead and get through straight away.

Almost seems to be cookie related.

530E60NL 08-09-2004 06:50 AM

I still find 30 seconds rather long... During the day I will get it 4 or 5 times when trying to reply.. Maybe the quote thing works better.

JDN 08-09-2004 08:04 AM

I never get Flood Control unless I mistakenly try to reply to a message that I just posted.