Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

.avi Files, e60.net Forums, and Firefox

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi Friends:

Recently, I made a movie using my Minolta DiMage G500. The file format necessarily is .avi. I thought any decent browser would have no problem with .avi's. But, I am having trouble playing the file in Firefox. It plays fine in Explorer. The movie is the "Movie/Sound Clip" linked in the B&B Exhaust information in my sig.

I would appreciate it if all that are interested try playing the file and let me know if you have problems-- particularly those of you using something other than Explorer. If you are able to play the file in Firefox, then please let me know what application it plays in. In principle, it should play in either Window's Media Player or Quicktime, but I have had no luck with either when using Firefox.

Oh, and, I created the page the movie is linked to using FrontPage. It may be that Firefox doesn't like FrontPage or vice versa. If you have any informaton on this possibility, then please let me know.

Thanks much.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='207306' date='Dec 4 2005, 10:10 PM
Hi Friends:

Recently, I made a movie using my Minolta DiMage G500. The file format necessarily is .avi. I thought any decent browser would have no problem with .avi's. But, I am having trouble playing the file in Firefox. It plays fine in Explorer. The movie is the "Movie/Sound Clip" linked in the B&B Exhaust information in my sig.

I would appreciate it if all that are interested try playing the file and let me know if you have problems-- particularly those of you using something other than Explorer. If you are able to play the file in Firefox, then please let me know what application it plays in. In principle, it should play in either Window's Media Player or Quicktime, but I have had no luck with either when using Firefox.

Oh, and, I created the page the movie is linked to using FrontPage. It may be that Firefox doesn't like FrontPage or vice versa. If you have any informaton on this possibility, then please let me know.

Thanks much.
No problems here. Worked with Media Player and Quicktime (even tried it with Real Player).

What version of FF are you using? Have you installed 1.5 yet? Or are you off-track on Deerpark, or one of the experimental builds?
Old 12-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

cant see it using opera..or is it just me??
Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='207313
Hi Friends:

Thanks much.
No problems here. Worked with Media Player and Quicktime (even tried it with Real Player).

What version of FF are you using? Have you installed 1.5 yet? Or are you off-track on Deerpark, or one of the experimental builds?
[/quote]
Thanks ipse d. I installed 1.5 yesterday to see if that would help, but no luck. And, to clarify, you definitely are using Firefox, right? To switch between Windows Media Player and Quicktime, did you have to do more than just switch programs using "View and Edit Actions..."?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m5lover' post='207327' date='Dec 5 2005, 03:36 AM
I tried both Explorer and Firefox at my office this morning. Explorer fine, Firefox no dice. Anyone else using Firefox that can lend a hand?
Old 12-05-2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='207539
I tried both Explorer and Firefox at my office this morning. Explorer fine, Firefox no dice. Anyone else using Firefox that can lend a hand?
[/quote]

vnod -

Got your PM.

Try this - this is a known bug in v1.5. Go here for the fix.

Also, you can use the Grease Monkey extension to get around this problem of embedded Explorer codes that do not match FF codes.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='207548
vnod -

Got your PM.

Also, you can use the Grease Monkey extension to get around this problem of embedded Explorer codes that do not match FF codes.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]Great, and thanks. I'll check the possibilities out later.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='207548
vnod -

Got your PM.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]Despite ipse d's great help, I still am having my original problem. I decided to use the QuickTime approach to try to solve the problem first. So, I upgraded to QuickTime 7.x.x and set things up as explained. No dice. Finally, I upgraded to QuickTime Pro, did the settings, and still no dice. As indicated earlier, I have already upgraded to Firefox 1.5. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any thoughts, then .
Old 01-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vnod' post='208138
Originally Posted by vnod' post='207539' date='Dec 5 2005, 01:26 PM
[quote name='m5lover' post='207327' date='Dec 5 2005, 03:36 AM']
vnod -

Got your PM.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]Despite ipse d's great help, I still am having my original problem. I decided to use the QuickTime approach to try to solve the problem first. So, I upgraded to QuickTime 7.x.x and set things up as explained. No dice. Finally, I upgraded to QuickTime Pro, did the settings, and still no dice. As indicated earlier, I have already upgraded to Firefox 1.5. I'll keep trying, but if anyone has any thoughts, then .
[/quote]
The problem was with the server I was using to host the files, but I am not sure what the problem is. I changed hosts, and all is well over various browsers and movie formats--one way or another. Check my sig. And, if you can't play the B&B movie with a given operating system/browser pair, one way or another, then I'd appreciate it if you would let me know. Just curious. Thanks.