Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Is the 5Series forum dying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Guys, seriously? I'm new to the forum, new to the 5series, and love the site and will continue to use it. Yeah, some if not all of my posts are probably boring and old hat for you guys, but its all new and exciting to me. Maybe its time for you guys to move on and let us newbies find out for ourselves what we want / need to know. I don't mean to be disrespectful to those of you who started this or significantly contributed throughout the years, its just that once you've been involved in something for so many years its GOING to get boring. I'd bet that your also getting bored with your E60's to. You've done every mod you wanted to do, you've asked all the questions you needed to ask, you've answered all the questions you can - multiple times I'm sure, you've driven your current E60 many miles and tested its limits. I haven't, nor have alot of us newbies. We have all that excitement and anticipation ahead of us, and we can't get enough. I'm on here all the time, always refreshing my screen looking for new tidbits here and there - just like you were at one time. Sometimes they are fast in updating, sometimes they're not. No big deal, I wait and check again later.

Personally I love this site and thank you all for the work you've done up till this point. What a wealth of information and knowledge out there. Long live the 5Series forum.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by bha7176' post='1057575' date='Nov 18 2009, 02:18 PM
Guys, seriously? I'm new to the forum, new to the 5series, and love the site and will continue to use it. Yeah, some if not all of my posts are probably boring and old hat for you guys, but its all new and exciting to me. Maybe its time for you guys to move on and let us newbies find out for ourselves what we want / need to know. I don't mean to be disrespectful to those of you who started this or significantly contributed throughout the years, its just that once you've been involved in something for so many years its GOING to get boring. I'd bet that your also getting bored with your E60's to. You've done every mod you wanted to do, you've asked all the questions you needed to ask, you've answered all the questions you can - multiple times I'm sure, you've driven your current E60 many miles and tested its limits. I haven't, nor have alot of us newbies. We have all that excitement and anticipation ahead of us, and we can't get enough. I'm on here all the time, always refreshing my screen looking for new tidbits here and there - just like you were at one time. Sometimes they are fast in updating, sometimes they're not. No big deal, I wait and check again later.

Personally I love this site and thank you all for the work you've done up till this point. What a wealth of information and knowledge out there. Long live the 5Series forum.
This post basically sums up my own thoughts exactly. Us long time E60 owners have gotten used to the car and know practically everything. The newness feeling is gone. It will be back when the F10 hits the streets within the next year.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with both Lomag and bha7176 but want to add that some of the complaints recently seem to be coming from a handful of members who think (or maybe wish) that this place should be more like a social networking site instead of a place to share information about BMW's 5 series automobiles.

Granted, we all share a common bond and over the years many members have become good friends who often have fun making jokes, etc. but lately, I've seen some "relatively newer" members try to become "the life of the party" and post stuff that -- probably out of boredom -- doesn't contribute much (if at all) and only causes others to take note of a perceived "downfall" of the forums as a whole. This place was never meant to be a facebook or myspace.

As Lomag and bha7176 have said above, the boredom (or lack of new information about the E60) clearly seems to stem from the fact that pretty much everything about the E60 has already been posted here so many of the veterans are just lurking and not participating as much. Obviously, there will be E60 newbies who will participate in "new to them" discussions and I'm all for that. What I don't like seeing is when a veteran member gets annoyed with a newbie because he didn't use the search function, etc. They'll figure it out and if they don't, some other member will probably jump in and help them out. To those veterans who are annoyed, I think the best approach is to simply not post at all and move on to something else.

The F10 buzz is already starting to escalate. The unveiling is coming in a matter of days and it won't be long before our first "forum delivery" happens... I can already sense that this buzz in the air is going to bring back some of the excitement from the early days but I'm also concerned that there may be some trolls bashing the new design and claiming the E60 is better, etc. -- just like the trolling that happened when the E60 was unveiled and the E39 faithful thought it looked ugly.