Site Comments & Suggestions Have questions, comments or suggestions about this site or how to improve it? We value your feedback!

Is the 5Series forum dying?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just what happens when there is NOTHING left to talk about. Every SINGLE detail about the E60 has been uncovered.

This forum will take a turn for the better, the minute some of the members get their hands on the F10 and start modding. Trust me
Old 11-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributors

i used to be able to sit at work, and every ten minutes hit refresh on the active topics page and have 15 new unread posts.

It has died down. I think a few months ago, right around the time the post whoring climaxed, so did the questionable avatars, huge signature pictures, and questionable threads. This is around the time that I left. I had no intentions on coming back, but after a month or so, my curiosity got the best of me. I came back, but I was blown away with how the vibe of the forum had changed.

I think it got so bad, the mods jumped in hoping their mediation would lead to members self-correcting themselves. Right now we are in the "calm AFTER the storm" if you will. Once the power comes back on and we pick up all of the large branches on the lawn, life will get back to normal.

Sadly, The lounge will never be the same. I hate to believe the post counter was a reason for high levels of activity in the lounge, but it may have been. It is a shame that people actually care about that crap.

I am now a member on city-data forums, which I took to during my 5series.net haitus. They have a "reputation" tool, which lets people click on a post "Quick-Rep" for someone providing good info or input. this would be a great tool, rather then a post counter, as I feel many people think of the post counter as some sort of "reputation level" which it is not. This is probably too far along in the life of the forums to implement, but a neat idea. your rep level would under your avatar instead of your post count...
Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1054337' date='Nov 13 2009, 09:16 PM
They have a "reputation" tool, which lets people click on a post "Quick-Rep" for someone providing good info or input. this would be a great tool, rather then a post counter, as I feel many people think of the post counter as some sort of "reputation level" which it is not. This is probably too far along in the life of the forums to implement, but a neat idea. your rep level would under your avatar instead of your post count...
If we could include that function in our forum, I think it would be a whole lot better than a post count.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1054179' date='Nov 13 2009, 04:54 PM
So... We've come along way, but is this it?

I feel that the forum has been quieting down lately. I'm not sure if this is a false feeling, but somehow it still exists.
Sure we are getting new members all the time and that is great, but "old stars" are leaving at the same time. Less and less posts are being seen from them.

I realized the thing few months ago while PMing with one of the "old stars". After that I started to eye things and something brightened up to me: It must partially be because of the oncoming F10. Are people getting frustrated with their "aging" model? We have to look back only to summer -09 and everyone was thrilled to get new mods etc. Now they think how they could get rid of the car!
I understand that minds change, and people have to move along, but it just feels bad...

Tell me I'm wrong!
It is good to get your opinions, Antti, but I'd like to know what Flat Eric thinks. PS Is he married yet?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1054337' date='Nov 13 2009, 09:16 PM
i used to be able to sit at work, and every ten minutes hit refresh on the active topics page and have 15 new unread posts.

It has died down. I think a few months ago, right around the time the post whoring climaxed, so did the questionable avatars, huge signature pictures, and questionable threads. This is around the time that I left. I had no intentions on coming back, but after a month or so, my curiosity got the best of me. I came back, but I was blown away with how the vibe of the forum had changed.

I think it got so bad, the mods jumped in hoping their mediation would lead to members self-correcting themselves. Right now we are in the "calm AFTER the storm" if you will. Once the power comes back on and we pick up all of the large branches on the lawn, life will get back to normal.

Sadly, The lounge will never be the same. I hate to believe the post counter was a reason for high levels of activity in the lounge, but it may have been. It is a shame that people actually care about that crap.

I am now a member on city-data forums, which I took to during my 5series.net haitus. They have a "reputation" tool, which lets people click on a post "Quick-Rep" for someone providing good info or input. this would be a great tool, rather then a post counter, as I feel many people think of the post counter as some sort of "reputation level" which it is not. This is probably too far along in the life of the forums to implement, but a neat idea. your rep level would under your avatar instead of your post count...
I've never seen this tool in action, but in theory it sounds like it could be used as a way to discredit someone you have a personality conflict with, or a popularity contest on the other end.

A forum that rates each other post after post does not sound like a community to me. I personally use most responses on this forum to direct my own research. There are some posters whose info I trust more than others, but I always cross reference and do my own research. I personally wouldn't trust a "reputation score" more than I would trust a post-count.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

I feel you Antti! There's just too many no, no's, and complainers!
Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by rogerj' post='1054295' date='Nov 13 2009, 05:00 PM
Ant,
I agree. I see it also. I think there are many factors. See thread nearby... "Sigs too laarge" by Mike the newb as one example why.
+1

it's larrge like a pirate
Old 11-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by radzM550i' post='1054372' date='Nov 13 2009, 07:40 PM
I feel you Antti! There's just too many no, no's, and complainers!

Agreed wholeheartedly Rich, it's sad when someone joins starts complaining and all of sudden we all have to bow to his whimsy. Maybe an MB would be a good trade
Old 11-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1054426' date='Nov 14 2009, 12:06 AM
Maybe an MB would be a good trade
I thought about that
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1054451' date='Nov 14 2009, 12:37 AM
I thought about that
Get in where you FIT in.

Quick Reply: Is the 5Series forum dying?