E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

My 04 530i won't start. It cranks but won't turn over and start. I thought the battery was going bad and replaced it but still won't start.

I can't hear the fuel pump on and can hear that buzzing sound under the hood and near the gas tank (I think).

Note: I did change the spark plugs, air filter, microfilters on Saturday afternoon. Started it, even drove it 4 hours on Sunday and started it Monday too. Come yesterday morning the car will not start. (And the CPO just ran out and it's in my driveway.)

Ideas where to start? Bad fuel? Bad fuel filter? Bad fuel pump? (I'm off in the morning to buy some starting fluid to see what that will do for me.)
Old 04-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by brianstash
My 04 530i won't start. It cranks but won't turn over and start. I thought the battery was going bad and replaced it but still won't start.

I can't hear the fuel pump on and can hear that buzzing sound under the hood and near the gas tank (I think).

Note: I did change the spark plugs, air filter, microfilters on Saturday afternoon. Started it, even drove it 4 hours on Sunday and started it Monday too. Come yesterday morning the car will not start. (And the CPO just ran out and it's in my driveway.)

Ideas where to start? Bad fuel? Bad fuel filter? Bad fuel pump? (I'm off in the morning to buy some starting fluid to see what that will do for me.)
Cranks but no start can be one of two problems, no fuel or no spark....since you recently did work on the plugs I'm guessing the latter is the problem. Go back and check all the coil packs and related the connections, something has probably come loose.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Members

The starter needs to be replaced. Happened to me.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by royalflush408
+1. That is exactly what happened to my 550 this summer. The starter cranks but the car doesn't start. It is a bad starter.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by royalflush408
Maybe I don't understand (very possible)...but, if it's cranking...then the starter is ok isn't it?? The starter's job is to turn the engine over until it ignites...correct?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by Allen
Maybe I don't understand (very possible)...but, if it's cranking...then the starter is ok isn't it?? The starter's job is to turn the engine over until it ignites...correct?

If the engine is turning, it's more than not likely to be the starter. Sounds to me like an ignition problem, like MiamiPhill said, go back and check your work, maybe something came loose, or maybe your ignition coil went out. You just got done working on changing your spark plugs so it would just be bad luck that something went wrong with the fuel system right now, so check the obvious first!

GL
Old 04-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Members

I reseated each ignition coil on the spark plugs and nothing. Cranking (na-na-na-na-na-na-na) but won't start. I hear the buzzing of the fuel pump as soon as the car wakes up.

I'm at a loss... as mentioned ealier... the starter? Really?

Any suggestion would be great, I don't know what to do.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Members

I have a 2004 530i also and yes it more than likely is your starter. My car was doing the exact same thing where it would crank as you call it but not start. I got stranded an hour from home and sure enough it was the starter.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Members

Thanks for the feedback.

Can someone explain what the starter is not doing correctly? The starter IS working and turning the flywheel properly? What isn't is to doing right then?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by brianstash
Thanks for the feedback.

Can someone explain what the starter is not doing correctly? The starter IS working and turning the flywheel properly? What isn't is to doing right then?
Yes, I'd like to hear this one too.....because if the engine turns over (cranks) then how can it be a faulty starter.......they can, and do get stuck on the ring gear of the flywheel but in that instant all you get is a click.

Quick Reply: Car cranks but won't start