DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004
Smile

I decided to make a DIY about installing an MSport steering wheel to your E60. There's another DIY about this already, but it's a bit more complicated project, since it guides to mount the newer (09/2005-->) type MSport steering wheel into the "older" (-->09/2005) car. A great thread, but I recommend you buy a proper model for your car. Here's that thread anyways.

My thread concerns about the "older" (-->09/2005) model, but I'm quite sure the project goes quite the same way in a newer car. The "cross-matching" will require much more work.

You will need these at least:
- MSport steering wheel with airbag (you can't use the one in original SW)
- 10mm open-end wrench (to disconnect and connect the minus cable in battery)
- 15mm box key with some extension and a lever (to dismount and mount the steering wheel itself)
- mid-size screw driver (to dismount the airbag)
- different sizes of torx keys
- tiny screwdrivers (to hassle with the cable plugs)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work phases:
1) Disconnecting the minus cable from the battery.
2) Dismounting the airbag from the original SW.
3) Dismounting the original SW.
4) Disassembling the original SW and collecting the parts you need for the new one.
----- A break maybe ----
5) Disassembling the MSport SW to put parts in.
6) Mounting the parts into the MSport SW.
7) Mounting the MSport SW.
8) Mounting the airbag into MSport SW.
9) Connecting the minus cable into the battery.
10) Ignition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then more detailed instructions following the phases above:

1) Disconnecting the minus cable from the battery.
- Use a 10mm open-end key to open the nut in the clamp and pull the clamp out.
- Cover the clamp with a sock or something to prevent the connection with the battery.

2) Dismounting the airbag from the original SW.
- Find a small hole on the bottom side of SW.
- Use a mid-size screwdriver to push the metal wire inside of SW to release the mounting of an airbag.
- This was the hardest part for me! I often managed to release only the other side of airbag. Had to push it back many times and try again.
- Note!! I suggest you do this from outside the car. I kneeled to the driver's door and operated it from there.

- Carefully pull the airbag from it's place. Disconnect the airbag wiring harness plug from the module on the bottom of SW. Don't mind the other texts in the pic at this point!
- Place the airbag outside of the car just for sure. Emblem up!

3) Dismounting the original SW.
- Open the bolt in the middle using a 15mm box key. You will need some extension to do this. The pic above.
- Note!!!! Don't wring against the SW lock! It might break. Ask someone to hold the SW instead.
- When you get your fingers to the wiring harness plug, gently pull it out. You may find a little scredriver handy here!

4) Disassembling the original SW and collecting the parts you need for the new one.
- You will need the module, wiring harness and a little white plastic part for the MSport SW.
- Deattach the metallic base plate to get the wiring harness out. Use a torx key to open the bolts (red). The buttons will be disconnected too with the base plate.
- Open the bolts (green) to deattach the plastic part.

- Note!!! When you dismount the base plate and buttons, the wiring harness is still connected to buttons!

- Carefully pull the plugs out. I had to disassemble the button parts even more to get these little plugs out without braking them. There are six torx bolts on the backside to do this. You will see them after dismounting the base plate.

- Take the module and wiring harness out.

Now, maybe that coffee brake .

Last edited by Anzafin; 01-01-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:29 AM
Contributors

5) Disassembling the MSport SW to put parts in.

- Dismount the airbag the same way as in original SW. Note that there is a separate ground cable that you need to pull off too.

- Dismount the base plate by opening the torx bolts (red)
- Note!!! The buttons parts are attached to base plate with two torx bolts (green), but the plastics are sitting tight on the SW. You don't need to take the plastic parts (buttons) all off. Opening those two torx bolts (green) and lifting the plastics a bit helps you to get the base plate out of the bottom of SW.

6) Mounting the parts in MSport SW.

- Push the module on the bottom of SW. It fits just nice.

- Place the wiring harness to the lanes around the SW bottom and push the plugs into their slots.
- Place the biggest plug through left rectangle hole.

- Attach the white plastic part with two torx bolts.

- Mount the base plate back. Double check that wiring harness doesn't get stuck under the plate.
- Fasten the plastic parts (buttons) too with two torx bolts.

7) Mounting the MSport SW.

- Attach the wiring harness plug to the left.
- Mount the SW with the help of flat levels in the pole and in the SW.
- Note! Don't brake the plastic parts in the pole (reds).
- Fasten tight with the 15mm bolt. Note!! Again, don't wring against the steering wheel lock!

8) Mounting the airbag into MSport SW.

- Push the wiring harness to its place into the module.
- Put the ground cable to its place too.

9) Connecting the minus cable into the battery.

- Reconnect the minus cable.

10) Ignition.

- Turn the ignition on but don't start yet.
- Wait for the blings (time, date).
- Start the car.
- Test out all the buttons in SW.
- Note!!! I did this from the passenger seat just for sure !

Enjoy!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice DIY - the detailed pics should make this an easier MOD for others. And the finished product looks very good

Was the battery disconnect the only precaution / preparation necessary for safely removing the airbag? I thought there was some power reserve somewhere / somehow so the airbags could deploy in an accident even in event of a dead battery?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='782325' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:37 PM
Very nice DIY - the detailed pics should make this an easier MOD for others. And the finished product looks very good

Was the battery disconnect the only precaution / preparation necessary for safely removing the airbag? I thought there was some power reserve somewhere / somehow so the airbags could deploy in an accident even in event of a dead battery?
I think airbags may deploy without the battery connected, but I surely wouldn't do this job with the battery connected.
I handled the airbag units with extreme care. And I left the system to drain out for approximately 30 minutes after disconnecting the battery before touching anything.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:50 AM
Contributors

Nice! Thanks for all the work you put into this. I'm sure many future-installations will appreciate it!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='782320' date='Feb 1 2009, 07:29 AM
Enjoy!
awesome write up. However, if you're buying a new wheel to retrofit instead of a used one, on a pre-9/05 car go for part # 32 34 0 396 032. This includes everything except the airbag all connected together, so it is literally a plug and play exercise. I didn't have to do any of the parts transfers from the old wheel to the new one.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Great post...Very detailed....Good work....
Old 02-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530ix / E60
Model Year: 2007

Great DIY!!

How much you paid the new wheel and airbag?
Old 02-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Thats very detailed write up!!
Thanks for that
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Thanks fellows!

Originally Posted by Milko75' post='782411' date='Feb 1 2009, 06:56 PM
Great DIY!!

How much you paid the new wheel and airbag?
665?

Quick Reply: Changing the original steering wheel to MSport one!