E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Considering an E60 M5 engine swap into my 528i - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2024 | 01:16 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 528i with X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder
Default Considering an E60 M5 engine swap into my 528i - thoughts?

I currently drive a 2010 528i with x-Drive, 6sp manual, 167,XXX miles, 3rd owner. I'm considering dropping an M5 engine into it if I can find one that is in decent condition and with relatively low mileage. I have the following questions:

1. From a technical standpoint, is it doable?
2. What else do I need to consider replacing/upgrading, aside from engine and the obvious like brakes, clutch, transmission?
3. I know that there are a lot of variables to deal with, but what other possible nuances should I be on the lookout for?

There is a local shop in CT that is may be able to do the work, but if there are shops on the East Coast (I am in CT/NYC) that can do this type of work, I'd considering either shipping the car or driving it to where the shop is and leaving it for the swap to be done.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-29-2024 | 09:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530XD -06

I think my main question is: "Why?"

I haven't done the swap myself, but I'd reckon aside from the gearbox, propshaft, diff and CV axles, you'd probably want to at least replace the front and rear subframes to M5 ditto's to support an M5 suspension and M5 brakes.
I've seen some dirt cheap M5's in your area, at least compared to Euro prices. I think if you want to put a low mileage S85 into any E60, it'll probably be easier to just buy one of the cheaper M5's, part out the engine and re-do suspension/brakes etc and then get a low mileage engine. But at that point, you might as well just buy a low mileage M5 to begin with. Kinda circling back to the question of: "Why?". Especially if you're gonna let a shop do the work. I can't see how that'll be any cheaper than finding a nice E60 M5 to begin with. Second hand value would probably be pretty low as well.

It's a cool project, and I'd follow it. Definitely not impossible, but I fail to see the point tbh.
Old 09-30-2024 | 01:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 528i with X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 3.0 L 6-cylinder

Originally Posted by Whopperoni
I think my main question is: "Why?"

I haven't done the swap myself, but I'd reckon aside from the gearbox, propshaft, diff and CV axles, you'd probably want to at least replace the front and rear subframes to M5 ditto's to support an M5 suspension and M5 brakes.
I've seen some dirt cheap M5's in your area, at least compared to Euro prices. I think if you want to put a low mileage S85 into any E60, it'll probably be easier to just buy one of the cheaper M5's, part out the engine and re-do suspension/brakes etc and then get a low mileage engine. But at that point, you might as well just buy a low mileage M5 to begin with. Kinda circling back to the question of: "Why?". Especially if you're gonna let a shop do the work. I can't see how that'll be any cheaper than finding a nice E60 M5 to begin with. Second hand value would probably be pretty low as well.

It's a cool project, and I'd follow it. Definitely not impossible, but I fail to see the point tbh.
Well, to be perfectly honest, I think it would be awesome to have an M5 with xDrive. Besides, my 528i's engine is getting up there in miles, starting to burn a little bit of oil here and there, so I thought...why not?
But also, it would be an interesting project to. Think it might be 'easier' (or rather, less costly) to buy a used E60 M5 and convert that to AWD?
However you are right that cost wise it would be quite a lot, esp. since I'm not doing the work myself. :/
Old 09-30-2024 | 09:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530XD -06

It would be awesome, however there's a reason why the "normal" ZF gearboxes differ between RWD and xDrive, since they have to accommodate the transfer case. Regardless of the donor M5 having a manual or SMG trans, it would require a *lot* of work just to get it to physically fit. Let alone ECU/TCU work to make it work.

I'm sure it's possible, with the right amount of time and money spent, but it'll likely be an extremely costly ordeal.
If you do attempt to try to do it, please keep me posted.