E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

500whp e61 AT build--looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 09:25 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 e61
Question 500whp e61 AT build--looking for advice

Finally starting my build after much hand-wringing and anxiety but still feel unsure if I'm going about this the right way. End goal is a "modest" all-day-everyday500whp on e60/some e85 mixture. Running MHD, can also add JB4 if recommended.
Here's what I'm planning so far:

Fueling
Stg 2 LPFP
Motivmotorsport FF kit (necessary?)
That's pretty much it. Got lucky w/ previous owner, index 12s and fresh HPFP under warranty within the last 30k.

Lungs
ARM Motorsport 7" FMIC + Tial BOV/chargepipe (overkill, I know).
BMS catchcan (of course)
BMS inlets (are outlets totally necessary? hearing lots of contradictory information)
Stock airbox
  • Not willing to spend $$ on hot-air intake (cone) system--there's a company in Vancouver that makes a true CAI for e9x's and they're somewhat confident it should fit an e6x, and I've heard again conflicting reports on how much this actually matters for this power goal
Unsure if I'm missing anything here but it seems straightforward enough.

Exhaust
ARDesign downpipes
  • unsure if the extra $$$ is worth for the high-flow cats? ultimately I want this to "pass emissions" (LOL) without screwing around with too much stuff. If you have experience w/the high flow cats please let me know
Some sort of catback exhaust, though wouldn't mind not shelling out $$$ if the performance gains are negligible over stock (sound is a low concern)
Some sort of upgraded turbo
  • pure stg 1 seems asymmetrical in terms of cost for performance, RBturbo seems fine but at the price why not just go pure stg 2, but that's total overkill... see my dilemma?

Tidbits
Trans overhaul (fluid, solenoids, applicable gaskets)
Front & rear diff fluid (sitting at 130k right now, seems like a good time to do it)
Pump and thermostat (will do w/ turbos, no evidence of weakness or failure but I don't want to screw myself by being overly confident)
Random suspension stuff, bearings and bushings, blah blah blah

I've already replaced most of the tired cooling system along w/ getting the ports cleaned + oil pan and valve cover gasket and plan on doing an oil analysis within the month alongside the oil filter housing gasket. The car runs strong with no obvious issues/codes, comp/leakdown done earlier this year was spectacular and the only thing that I think bugs me right now is a slight vibration coming from the driver's front wheel.

So, lots of info, I've tried to keep from posting every second asking a billion questions already answered here. Am I missing anything? Am I getting ahead of myself? Ultimately I want this car to run well and strong despite its age and mileage and I'm willing to spend quite a bit to make sure it lives a good life whilst being fun. Will get a custom tune once everything's on the car and sorted (if anyone has tuner in CO that they love send them my way).

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-15-2023, 09:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 e61

I posted this on Bimmerpost and haven't gotten any bites so far. Doing some more research I think I'm going to just run the VRSF downpipes and have decided to cop the RBturbo TD03's later this year. It also seems like outlets are diminishing returns, but who knows--if you have great experience with an upgraded set please let me know.

I do have more questions regarding fueling, however, and I can't really seem to get any straight answers (or at least find a thread that doesn't devolve into people verbally abusing each other over DI/PI).

Some say you need a full supplemental DI kit (manifold or plate) for anything north of 450whp. Others say that an e85 mixture is fine. Others say still that you're stupid if you're not going VTT single-barrel shotgun HPFP. Regardless I know I'll need an upgraded LPFP (already covered) and probably a flex fuel kit for convenience/safety. I'm just confused on the conflicting accounts and would rather not spend more money on stuff that I don't really need to. Again trying to avoid methanol at all costs. Also, has the DI technology for this platform improved appreciably at all? I've been seeing talk from 2016-2019 about how awful DI piggyback solutions were and I can't seem to find much else within the last couple years.

Please let me know your thoughts, if I'm missing anything, or if I need to re-evaulate. Thank you a million
Old 09-19-2023, 07:27 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61, 6 Speed, Sport Package, Single Turbo
Model Year: 2008

My take may be a bit different as I'm a single turbo E61 with a 6 speed right around the 750awhp mark but I've gone through a few items that you are looking at and had a buddy with an auto E61 with 19t's that made 520awhp on pump gas and fully stock fueling. Here's my 2 cents based off what him and I've done:

What are you looking to get out of the JB4? I'd personally stay away from it but if you really want one, I'll send you mine if you pay for shipping. It has the 2-step/antilag chip and port injection controller.
Motiv Reflex has a better port injection setup (sequential fire vs batch fire) and gives you more control in the long term if you want to push the power limits. Currently running the Reflex on my current setup and love the power it has.

Fueling:
Pump: I ran a Fuel-it Stage 2+ DW400 for a long time before I built my current dual pump system (which still uses the original Fuel-it kit with the DW400) Great pump from Fuel-it and supported 575awhp on pump with port injection @18psi and 625awhp on E30 with port injection @24psi. FYI, E61 pumps are a PITA to install. Make sure your tank is really empty unless you like swimming in fuel.
Flexfuel: really depends on how readily available Ethanol is for you. If it's on every corner, then I'd say get it. I regularly run E40-E45 and have my Ethanol sensor wired into the Reflex. But again, you should have no issues getting to your power goal on pump only.
Port injection: Again, I don't think this is necessary but is nice to have IMO especially if you'll eventually want more power. I'd run port over a HPFP overdrive kit due to the current price of HPFP's and how much of a PITA it is to replace one. A port injection manifold and injectors is less than the price of a new HPFP.

Lungs:
Your intercooler, BOV and CP are a good choice. 7" looks sexy in the front
Inlets/outlets - I'll touch on that with the turbo options you listed but stock inlets are extremely restrictive.

Exhaust:
D0wnP1pes - Love me some AR's. Solid build quality but you certainly pay for it. I was fortunate enough to not have to worry about emissions and ran their catless pipes when I had twins. Still have them if you're interested. If you're upgrading turbos, high flow cats are a must or just go catless.
D0wnP1pes back - everyone has different taste. Evan has probably gone through the most exhaust setups for our car and I took some ideas from him on mine. 3" back with just a resonator was a bit too much drone for me at 75mph. Ended up installing a vibrant high flow muffler with a 18" resonator in the middle of the car is perfect IMO. Great sound when WOT and perfect cruising noise.
I'm not too sure about all the performance gains with those items as my build quickly snowballed into full send mode. But I will say is you will need upgraded d0wnp!ipes if you want to make some power. Stock is too restrictive.

Turbos:
Either RB or Pure. No one else. I haven't had much experience with RB but I've put on many Pure kits on other N54's and recommend the 600's for your setup.
Get the upgraded outlets if you upgrade the turbo. You're already in there, just do it.
Inlets are a royal PITA for our car. I built something similar to what Evan built with his custom inlet setup (his is well documented) and is much needed after you look at the factory inlets. Factory inlets are a bit embarrassing on how restrictive they are. Yes, hot air is not something you want but would you rather have hot air or not enough air for the turbos? Silicone stock location inlets are also an option but I have no experience with them.

Tidbits:
All sound like good items to take care of. The water pump/thermostat are ticking time bombs. Knock em out if you're doing turbos.
Rear M5 sway bar is a cheap fantastic upgrade

I'm sure there's a bunch that I missed but I'm always down to help get another fast E61 on the road!
-AJ

Old 10-07-2023, 09:46 AM
N54
New Members

My Ride: 08 535xi intercooler CP DCI 09 135i MMP1000 2x525LPH PI all bolt ons 335i 6spd single project

NW E61 I’m in the process of a similar build and would take you up on your offer and can Venmo PayPal or Zelle for the JB4/DPs. Have a 2008 535XI. Built numerous N54 cars and have a 135i that’s my summer beast. Want my snow beast 535xi to have at least 500AWHP. Just intercooler, CP, and DCI right now. Have a DW400 waiting to go in. When I do the DPs plan on inlets, outlets, upgraded snails since I’ll be right there and it’s a job on a XI. Did it on a 335xi many moons ago and want everything done while I’m in there. I can send my phone number but it won’t let me IM you. Thanks!
Old 01-11-2024, 07:01 PM
Probation Members

My Ride: 535xi

NW E61 are you RWD/AWD and i was thinking a big single turbo one of my GC Lites checked out today. Got a 2008 535xi that was built when i bought it and just wanted to see what turbo setup your running. First BMW and i had to have a wagon it was 534awhp when i got it now im hooked and need more power what part of WA are you in im in Renton. Thx D
Old 04-15-2024, 04:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 e61 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by telepath
Finally starting my build after much hand-wringing and anxiety but still feel unsure if I'm going about this the right way. End goal is a "modest" all-day-everyday500whp on e60/some e85 mixture. Running MHD, can also add JB4 if recommended.
Here's what I'm planning so far:

Fueling
Stg 2 LPFP
Motivmotorsport FF kit (necessary?)
That's pretty much it. Got lucky w/ previous owner, index 12s and fresh HPFP under warranty within the last 30k.

Lungs
ARM Motorsport 7" FMIC + Tial BOV/chargepipe (overkill, I know).
BMS catchcan (of course)
BMS inlets (are outlets totally necessary? hearing lots of contradictory information)
Stock airbox
  • Not willing to spend $$ on hot-air intake (cone) system--there's a company in Vancouver that makes a true CAI for e9x's and they're somewhat confident it should fit an e6x, and I've heard again conflicting reports on how much this actually matters for this power goal
Unsure if I'm missing anything here but it seems straightforward enough.

Exhaust
ARDesign downpipes
  • unsure if the extra $$$ is worth for the high-flow cats? ultimately I want this to "pass emissions" (LOL) without screwing around with too much stuff. If you have experience w/the high flow cats please let me know
Some sort of catback exhaust, though wouldn't mind not shelling out $$$ if the performance gains are negligible over stock (sound is a low concern)
Some sort of upgraded turbo
  • pure stg 1 seems asymmetrical in terms of cost for performance, RBturbo seems fine but at the price why not just go pure stg 2, but that's total overkill... see my dilemma?

Tidbits
Trans overhaul (fluid, solenoids, applicable gaskets)
Front & rear diff fluid (sitting at 130k right now, seems like a good time to do it)
Pump and thermostat (will do w/ turbos, no evidence of weakness or failure but I don't want to screw myself by being overly confident)
Random suspension stuff, bearings and bushings, blah blah blah

I've already replaced most of the tired cooling system along w/ getting the ports cleaned + oil pan and valve cover gasket and plan on doing an oil analysis within the month alongside the oil filter housing gasket. The car runs strong with no obvious issues/codes, comp/leakdown done earlier this year was spectacular and the only thing that I think bugs me right now is a slight vibration coming from the driver's front wheel.

So, lots of info, I've tried to keep from posting every second asking a billion questions already answered here. Am I missing anything? Am I getting ahead of myself? Ultimately I want this car to run well and strong despite its age and mileage and I'm willing to spend quite a bit to make sure it lives a good life whilst being fun. Will get a custom tune once everything's on the car and sorted (if anyone has tuner in CO that they love send them my way).

Thanks in advance!
Hi, I’m currently planning a similar build. Did you end up installing VRSF downpipes? I’m worried about fitment issues with the AT. Also, what did you end up deciding to do about inlets? Everything online says silicone inlets in the stock location are indeed a PITA. I went so far as to check with a builder I know in the Boston area and they confirmed they couldn’t make stock location silicone inlets fit. Very interested in hearing your thoughts if you have time to reply.

Scott
Old 04-15-2024, 04:15 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 e61 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by NW E61
My take may be a bit different as I'm a single turbo E61 with a 6 speed right around the 750awhp mark but I've gone through a few items that you are looking at and had a buddy with an auto E61 with 19t's that made 520awhp on pump gas and fully stock fueling. Here's my 2 cents based off what him and I've done:

What are you looking to get out of the JB4? I'd personally stay away from it but if you really want one, I'll send you mine if you pay for shipping. It has the 2-step/antilag chip and port injection controller.
Motiv Reflex has a better port injection setup (sequential fire vs batch fire) and gives you more control in the long term if you want to push the power limits. Currently running the Reflex on my current setup and love the power it has.

Fueling:
Pump: I ran a Fuel-it Stage 2+ DW400 for a long time before I built my current dual pump system (which still uses the original Fuel-it kit with the DW400) Great pump from Fuel-it and supported 575awhp on pump with port injection @18psi and 625awhp on E30 with port injection @24psi. FYI, E61 pumps are a PITA to install. Make sure your tank is really empty unless you like swimming in fuel.
Flexfuel: really depends on how readily available Ethanol is for you. If it's on every corner, then I'd say get it. I regularly run E40-E45 and have my Ethanol sensor wired into the Reflex. But again, you should have no issues getting to your power goal on pump only.
Port injection: Again, I don't think this is necessary but is nice to have IMO especially if you'll eventually want more power. I'd run port over a HPFP overdrive kit due to the current price of HPFP's and how much of a PITA it is to replace one. A port injection manifold and injectors is less than the price of a new HPFP.

Lungs:
Your intercooler, BOV and CP are a good choice. 7" looks sexy in the front
Inlets/outlets - I'll touch on that with the turbo options you listed but stock inlets are extremely restrictive.

Exhaust:
D0wnP1pes - Love me some AR's. Solid build quality but you certainly pay for it. I was fortunate enough to not have to worry about emissions and ran their catless pipes when I had twins. Still have them if you're interested. If you're upgrading turbos, high flow cats are a must or just go catless.
D0wnP1pes back - everyone has different taste. Evan has probably gone through the most exhaust setups for our car and I took some ideas from him on mine. 3" back with just a resonator was a bit too much drone for me at 75mph. Ended up installing a vibrant high flow muffler with a 18" resonator in the middle of the car is perfect IMO. Great sound when WOT and perfect cruising noise.
I'm not too sure about all the performance gains with those items as my build quickly snowballed into full send mode. But I will say is you will need upgraded d0wnp!ipes if you want to make some power. Stock is too restrictive.

Turbos:
Either RB or Pure. No one else. I haven't had much experience with RB but I've put on many Pure kits on other N54's and recommend the 600's for your setup.
Get the upgraded outlets if you upgrade the turbo. You're already in there, just do it.
Inlets are a royal PITA for our car. I built something similar to what Evan built with his custom inlet setup (his is well documented) and is much needed after you look at the factory inlets. Factory inlets are a bit embarrassing on how restrictive they are. Yes, hot air is not something you want but would you rather have hot air or not enough air for the turbos? Silicone stock location inlets are also an option but I have no experience with them.

Tidbits:
All sound like good items to take care of. The water pump/thermostat are ticking time bombs. Knock em out if you're doing turbos.
Rear M5 sway bar is a cheap fantastic upgrade

I'm sure there's a bunch that I missed but I'm always down to help get another fast E61 on the road!
-AJ
Hi AJ, do you still have your ARs for sale?

Scott