E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

power steering noise or AC compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 07:38 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 530xi
Default power steering noise or AC compressor

Hi recently my 2006 E60 started to make a noise that i would describe as a power steering pump failure soon.
so i replaced the pump, with a known good rebuilded one from Rock Auto (LUK LF30).

The noise remains exactly the same. New reservoir, new hoses, new fluid,...i followed the procedure. Steering is light, no noise when i turn, no hard spots. nothing wrong with the power steering function at all.

I have a mechanic stethoscope and listened to all the noises all over the engine. the steering pump is dead quiet.

The most noticeable noise seems to come from the AC compressor, the type without clutches.

==>>I would like to know if is is even possible for this AC compressor to make such noise very comparable to power steering noise when it goes bad EDIT YES IT CAN

Noise is mostly noticeable at idle or with moderate rpm. it disapears when i drive.

thanks.

Last edited by patallen; 07-20-2019 at 05:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:53 AM
New Members

i quadripple confirm it is my AC compressor that makes that noise, everyone i took for listening told me it was the PS pump

i took a 44 1/8 belt to bypass the AC pump so all that was running was the PS pump and alternator

boom the noise gone

note to self: AC pump can make horrible noise comparable to PS pump
Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I've had AC noise on mine for years (as long as I've owned the car (August 2012)) and it's never become any worse. I'd describe it as a faint woooo sound most noticeable at low speeds and is masked by road noise at any speed over about 20kph. I confirmed it was the AC by just switching the AC off - noise goes away. Aside from the fact my AC randomly doesn't kick in after starting the engine, but will kick in after a couple of minutes, it's still working fine. I'm leaving it alone until something actually fails.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:43 AM
New Members

fwiw there are two type of AC compressors on those cars, with and without clutches. Mine is the latest type without clutches so turning AC on/off doesnt change the noise since it always spins. bearings in the compressor itself are all gone, but still workable.
Cant afford to have it seized on the highway so until i fix it i will leave my short strap in there. I will survice without AC.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:23 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by patallen
fwiw there are two type of AC compressors on those cars, with and without clutches. Mine is the latest type without clutches so turning AC on/off doesnt change the noise since it always spins. bearings in the compressor itself are all gone, but still workable.
Cant afford to have it seized on the highway so until i fix it i will leave my short strap in there. I will survice without AC.
Not sure about that! Even the variable stroke compressors have an on-off clutch which is activated by the on-off switch in the car. What do you think happens when the AC button is pressed? The variable stroke compressors sold are completed with on-off clutch. It is true that the temperature is controlled by the variable stroke mechanism and not by turning the compressor on or off by the clutch, but the clutch is still there. At least it appears to be the setup on my 2005 545.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:36 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Not sure about that! Even the variable stroke compressors have an on-off clutch which is activated by the on-off switch in the car. What do you think happens when the AC button is pressed? The variable stroke compressors sold are completed with on-off clutch. It is true that the temperature is controlled by the variable stroke mechanism and not by turning the compressor on or off by the clutch, but the clutch is still there. At least it appears to be the setup on my 2005 545.

if you are not sure why do you argue ?

dont get me wrong i know EXACTLY what happens when i press the Ac button in the dash. i am electronic engineer for automotive market with 30+ years of experience. this car is not an E30 by the way.

there is ONE wire that controls the valve, no clutch at all it is documented everywhere that the later style Ac compressor doesnt have clutch, spins all the time thus wear prematurely the valve divert the gas in the pump

SEE FOR YOURSELF obvious picture attached

get your fact straight before arguing with me and wasting everyones time

https://www.rockauto.com/info/52/97391__ra_p.jpg
Old 07-20-2019, 01:41 PM
New Members

Compressors without magnetic clutches ? MechanExpert

"Clutchless means that the compressor no longer has an electromagnetic clutch. This means that the compressor is permanently driven via the pulley and works even if the air-conditioning system is switched off. "

thus wears out the bearings in them all the time which is exactly what happened in mine.

you remember someone to me called Lee who always got unkown wrong facts out of nowhere just to proove himself smart.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:59 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by patallen
if you are not sure why do you argue ?

dont get me wrong i know EXACTLY what happens when i press the Ac button in the dash. i am electronic engineer for automotive market with 30+ years of experience. this car is not an E30 by the way.

there is ONE wire that controls the valve, no clutch at all it is documented everywhere that the later style Ac compressor doesnt have clutch, spins all the time thus wear prematurely the valve divert the gas in the pump

SEE FOR YOURSELF obvious picture attached

get your fact straight before arguing with me and wasting everyones time

https://www.rockauto.com/info/52/97391__ra_p.jpg
All the compressors shown on rockauto for the 2005 545 are with clutch. The control valve that you are referring to is the positioner for the swash plate that varies the stroke on the compressor which changes its compressing capacity. No gas is diverted.
I only said that I wasn't sure to be polite and give you a chance to check your facts. You are the one arguing, not me!

Further to this a link to rockauto catalogue for your year (2006) and 530 model. A picture of the Denso shows clutch and states that the clutch is included as does the literature:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ompressor,6628

Last edited by FormerE30Owner; 07-21-2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: More information.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:54 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Interesting conflict. If you go to the RockAuto site and enter 2008 535xi (my car, check profile), then look at the pix of AC compressors, mine looks like the picture you posted and states it is with clutch - link below for the Four Seasons 157345. As mentioned earlier, my noise goes away when I turn the AC off using the dash button.

If you look at the part description for 2006 530xi AC compressor, the Four Seasons item is 97391 and states it has a clutch. Hmmm.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/52/157345__ra_p.jpg

Last edited by audiophool; 07-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.