E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 gaskets...Ultra grey anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 05:43 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default E60 gaskets...Ultra grey anyone??

Am gonna do my alternator bracket gasket and with all the known gasket issues is there a reason why we don’t use Ultra grey or some other Permatex sealant on top of the problem baskets to insure we don’t do these jobs again and again?

just this winter finished overhauling my grandson's Impreza engine after a blown rod bearing and Ultra grey is the gasket of choice and it apparently last forever without springing leaks all over.......

Love to hear any pros and or cons.
thx
Old 05-01-2019, 05:31 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I think that with the profile (o-ring) gasket, any additional sealant is only going to be squeezed out from between the two machined surfaces. The goo that isn't squeezed out will shim the gap and reduce tension on the profile gasket making it probably leak sooner.

That, and the possibility of the goo oozing into places it shouldn't go. I remember my highschool friend was an huge proponent of silicone gasket maker. He'd blob it on, clamp the part down, then wipe the lumpy mess off around the outside. I once asked him "do you think the inside part of the assembly looks like the outside did before you wiped off the excess?". Then one time I had an OHC Ford Cortina motor that wiped its frontmost cam lobe. The oiler bar had a little tag of silicone blocking the spray port to that cam lobe.

As Edna Mode said "NO CAPES!!", I say "NO SILICONE!!"

Maybe, just maybe, if you fabbed a gasket using traditional gasket stock and cut it out to match the sealing needs the profile gasket provides and install that instead of the profile gasket? Hmmm? You first.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:16 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by audiophool
I think that with the profile (o-ring) gasket, any additional sealant is only going to be squeezed out from between the two machined surfaces. The goo that isn't squeezed out will shim the gap and reduce tension on the profile gasket making it probably leak sooner.

That, and the possibility of the goo oozing into places it shouldn't go. I remember my highschool friend was an huge proponent of silicone gasket maker. He'd blob it on, clamp the part down, then wipe the lumpy mess off around the outside. I once asked him "do you think the inside part of the assembly looks like the outside did before you wiped off the excess?". Then one time I had an OHC Ford Cortina motor that wiped its frontmost cam lobe. The oiler bar had a little tag of silicone blocking the spray port to that cam lobe.

As Edna Mode said "NO CAPES!!", I say "NO SILICONE!!"

Maybe, just maybe, if you fabbed a gasket using traditional gasket stock and cut it out to match the sealing needs the profile gasket provides and install that instead of the profile gasket? Hmmm? You first.
Agreed. There is a reason for how the gaskets are engineered or designed. Unless one knows what he/she is doing, re-engineering any part is fraught with risk and peril!. That goes for modification of any part of the automobile.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:25 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Agreed. There is a reason for how the gaskets are engineered or designed. Unless one knows what he/she is doing, re-engineering any part is fraught with risk and peril!. That goes for modification of any part of the automobile.
The reason I am doing this job is because the poor BMW engineering of this particular gasket (and more)failing at or before 100K.....and I do know how to use this stuff properly and not to overuse the material.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:48 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
The reason I am doing this job is because the poor BMW engineering of this particular gasket (and more)failing at or before 100K.....and I do know how to use this stuff properly and not to overuse the material.
As I said, "unless one knows what he/she is doing.....". Good luck on your project.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:09 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

If you're taking the OFH off, best to check if the mating surfaces are flat. Mine were, and the new profile gasket isn't leaking. I still need to replace the oil cooler lines however. Thought just new o rings would clean up that area, but the hoses themselves are weeping.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:17 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 BMW 535i Sport Package
Model Year: 2009

I also think it's a good idea to use genuine BMW gaskets for the oil cooler gasket and OFHG. The aftermarket ones don't seem to last as long.

Steve
Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by anthracite
I also think it's a good idea to use genuine BMW gaskets for the oil cooler gasket and OFHG. The aftermarket ones don't seem to last as long.

Steve
May I ask the reason you say this as I would think those new BMW gaskets are still “environmentally friendly” and still are going to biodegrade too soon for my liking....so therefore I will use some Ultra grey stuff just to keep from leaking because it’s taking me two days to get this stupid bracket off and I never gonna do this again.