E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

New M Sport Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 09:39 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive M Sport
Default New M Sport Owner

Hello all - Merry Christmas

My wife and I made an impromptu trip to Seattle from Boise to pick up a 2010 E61 M Sport (Jet Black/Black Dakota). Funny story - someone else bought it but realized it was too much car for them and returned the car under Autonation's policy so I was second in line. We jumped in the car and braved some snowy/icy conditions through the Snoqualmie Pass to bring it back home.

Car is in "ok" shape - 1 owner Seattle car with maintenance history at BMW Seattle/Bellevue. However, in my haste and probably against better judgment I've got a number of issues to chase down. I've listed them below as well as a plan for addressing and ballpark pricing.

1) Front bumper has paint loss and looks like a small shunt - Drivers side is slightly pushed in above driver's side kidney - the bumper isn't broken but the mounting tab looks recessed. Replace brackets and repaint/adjust - $750 (could be another $800 if new cover needed)

2) Drivers side rear corner of bumper has a small paint rub/cracking Repaint/adjust - $600

3) Passenger side front thigh support is broken (motor works and manually moves in and out) - looks like the prior owner's significant other also pulled on it hard and ripped bottom corner of the seat covering Replace gear/sprocket $30 and possibly source used thigh bolster $350

4) Chrome exhaust tips are discolored (specifically the outside one) - hoping this isn't some sign of excess carbon build up?! Replace tips $100 from various sources

5) Drivers' seat has some thigh bolster wear from ingress/egress - Probably leave this as isn't too bad

6) Couple burnt out LEDs in the rear third light bar - Replace with new part $125 from various sources

7) Minor to moderate wheel curbing (worst is unsurprisingly the passenger front probably from parallel parking) Refinish wheels locally $125/wheel = $500 +/-

For now all the other electronics work well and car seems to run well. I didn't have the benefit of a PPI - when I bought the car there was literally a guy waiting in the lot to buy if I didn't close that day. The dealer had 2 other buyers waiting to come in for it as well!

Anyways - wanted to introduce myself and get acquainted to the forum - looking forward (but also a bit scared) to this new chapter of BMW ownership.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:14 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Welcome!
Old 12-27-2018, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

to the forum and congrats on your new ride. Consider this forum your support group and don't fear. Once you get used to being a bimmer driver, you'll never look back! Looking forward to your questions.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:58 AM
New Members

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

That's great, happy to hear it. I bought mine site-unseen basically out in Victoria this summer. It ended up having a few issues, but what 9-10 year old car won't? It was clean and looked nice which often means it has been taken care of reasonably well. I'm installing a replacement hydraulic pump for the rear liftgate today because a previous owner removed it and replaced with normal struts. I hate having a button in my car that doesn't work.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:46 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by kd7iwp
That's great, happy to hear it. I bought mine site-unseen basically out in Victoria this summer. It ended up having a few issues, but what 9-10 year old car won't? It was clean and looked nice which often means it has been taken care of reasonably well. I'm installing a replacement hydraulic pump for the rear liftgate today because a previous owner removed it and replaced with normal struts. I hate having a button in my car that doesn't work.
Welcome to the board...that's going to cost you over $1k bucks if you buy it new. You might want to explore a used one...or live with that button
Old 12-28-2018, 05:01 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by pocholin
Welcome to the board...that's going to cost you over $1k bucks if you buy it new. You might want to explore a used one...or live with that button
Got it installed yesterday and it works great! Paid $380 shipped on eBay for a pump and hydraulic cylinder.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

That's a great cost, kudos!
Old 12-29-2018, 05:40 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: N/A
Model Year: N/A
Engine: N/A

When I was looking this summer I inquired about that exact car. Glad to hear it is working out for you. I ended up buying, and then selling a 2006 530xiT 6 MT w/ M-Sport. Still driving my E91 but that E61 left enough of an impression on me that I am still poking around looking at them. There is a 2010 M Sport auto close to me that looks pretty nice.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Smith_Jason
When I was looking this summer I inquired about that exact car. Glad to hear it is working out for you. I ended up buying, and then selling a 2006 530xiT 6 MT w/ M-Sport. Still driving my E91 but that E61 left enough of an impression on me that I am still poking around looking at them. There is a 2010 M Sport auto close to me that looks pretty nice.
Wow, you couldn’t have owned that long, what happened?
Old 12-29-2018, 03:22 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: N/A
Model Year: N/A
Engine: N/A

Wow, you couldn’t have owned that long, what happened?
I bough tit in June with the clear intent of keeping and my E34 M5 and selling my 2009 328 xiT. I liked the 328 for sale immediately and had zero interest. Around mid- September I got serious about selling something and listed them both. As suspected the E61 went pretty quickly and now I still have the E91. As an aside I also listed the M5 and it ended up in Texas. I went from 3 cars to one in a matter of about a week.

Quick Reply: New M Sport Owner