E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

LED bars on e61

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61 530d with 3,5l injectors and remapped, love that workhorse
Default LED bars on e61

Hi i was just wondering if anyone has installed a led bar behind or infront the bumper grille on an m-tech front bumper
Old 12-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Siggifreyr
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has installed a led bar behind or infront the bumper grille on an m-tech front bumper
I am sure it has been done, probably by Europeans but may I ask what is your goal by adding a light bar?
Old 12-18-2018, 07:24 PM
New Members

For better visability on the road
Old 12-19-2018, 04:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Wouldn't those LED bars just emit light in every direction? Wouldn't that be upsetting to oncoming drivers?

I realize that your car might not have Xenon headlamps, you might want to consider those instead.

If you do have xenons but that's, somehow, not enough, UCSBWSR has upgraded his headlamps with much brighter and better elements, these keep the brightness away from oncoming traffic and cars he is behind, look up his thread; that would be a much better way to do it and still consider those who you share the road with.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:05 AM
New Members

Yeah i would ofcourse turn them off if an oncomming car is in front
Old 12-19-2018, 05:46 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Are those lights (LED bar) even legal in Iceland?
Old 12-19-2018, 05:49 AM
New Members

Yeah they are, as long as you can turn them on and off with a button and not blind anyone, don’t remember the exact rule from it but they are legal
Old 12-19-2018, 06:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Oh really? lol I figured that much. I was hoping for a more detailed response on your lighting needs, there are many different types of lights for different applications.

First I would suggest upgrading your headlights since those are already on the car, are intended to illuminate the road, and with proper modification can produce all the light you will really need for pretty much any circumstance. More importantly you can increase low beam light output that will be controlled and safe for oncoming traffic, there is also the high beam.

Most light bars are intended for off road use only and consequently don't have very controlled beam patterns with regard to rise (cutoff) so when it's on it blinds people, if you don't care then there are some other factors to consider. Mounting it behind the lower grill will be blocking your radiator or intercooler depending on your motor, not ideal. The grill will also be blocking a small amount of light. Probably the most important thing to consider with that mounting location is "foreground" since the light bar will be so close to the ground it inherently will be illuminating the road immediately in front of you much like fog lights and if your goal is to have a light bar as a high beam supplement for distance vision then foreground is counterproductive since it reflects and creates glare. The light will make your pupils constrict and you won't be able to see as far.

So in summary, upgrade your headlights and if you still need an auxiliary high beam then consider mounting the light bar to the roof. If you are after different results then be more eloquent than saying "for better visibility" so I can be more helpful.

Evan
Old 01-09-2019, 08:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535XI wagon

Those bars are illegal in some States. I am not sure of the exact law but I know some people with Jeeps that got tickets for having them installed and uncovered we have to buy covers for them because the local cops said that even if they were not on they could reflect light from another drivers legal headlights back into their eyes. One guy had a Jeep liberty with a factory light bar in top that had 4 round lights in it. He got a ticket but went to court and won because it was a factory installed option and had DOT approval. The judge said that state and local laws can not override federal vehicle laws when pertaining to factory options.