E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Malfunctioning fuel pump message with engine stalling at idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 535xi
Default Malfunctioning fuel pump message with engine stalling at idle

Hello all. I have a 2008 535xi with 109K on it and I've been having a lot of issues with my fuel pump, BUT my issue is different from many others describing FPFP problems while accelerating. I've already searched a bit but I haven't seen the problems I'm having. I got a fault in idrive saying that the fuel pump was faulty along with the car shutting off WHILE IDLING. It was shutting off and wouldn't turn back on for about 10-15 mins and then it would start back up and drive fine. Check engine light DOES NOT turn on.
The car is fine at normal/freeway speeds and only stalls while idling. I already replaced the low pressure fuel sensor but it didn’t help. Has anyone out there experienced similar issues?

thank you in advance for your input.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

Have you checked for error codes by using a laptop BMW software program such as INPA, ISTA, NCSExpert or one of the other BMW proprietary programs, or a BMW compatable OBD code reader that will pull BMW proprietary error codes? If not do that first and come back with your findings.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:02 AM
New Members

Thank you for your suggestion, I used Carly and another code reader "Creader" by Launch and there are NO codes available to read, grrr
The car ONLY stalls out while idling and NEVER while driving. It does not stall every time it idles either, but usually after idling for approx 20-30 min. Fist the "Fuel pump malfunction" message appears on the IDrive, then the engine cuts off. The car does not start back up for as long as the ignition is on. I then turn off the ignition and take the key out and wait for approx 2-3 min. Next, I hear a sound similar to the fuel pump priming. As soon as that sound goes away, I put the key back in, turn on the ignition and the car starts right back up again and stays running with no issues. Check engine light is OFF and no codes stores in DME.
Based on all of this, I figured it has something to do with the LPFP or its components. I'm not sure if its the LPFP itself or the sending units or some kind of relay or something else. I DID replace the LPFP sensor, but that did NOT fix the problem. Does ANYONE out there have any suggestions for me?
Thank you so much in advance.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:19 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same exact issue - only stalls while idling and after 5-10 minutes it's fine.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:53 AM
New Members

Yes, I fixed it by replacing the low pressure fuel relay located in the trunk on the passenger side under the trunk carpet lining. It’s somewhere around the wheel well area. The relay was not getting hot either, just FYI. Car has been running great since then
Old 06-02-2019, 06:48 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kvlar78
Yes, I fixed it by replacing the low pressure fuel relay located in the trunk on the passenger side under the trunk carpet lining. It’s somewhere around the wheel well area. The relay was not getting hot either, just FYI. Car has been running great since then
Are you referring to the fuel pump module by chance? I have attached a picture of it?
Old 06-02-2019, 07:09 PM
New Members

Yes, that’s the part I replaced
Old 06-05-2019, 12:58 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Kvlar78
Yes, that’s the part I replaced
Thank you! I have ordered that part. Hopefully it fixes my issues as well.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i and 2007 328i

Originally Posted by cmihaylov
Thank you! I have ordered that part. Hopefully it fixes my issues as well.

Did this resolve your issue as well? I'm having the same issue, except mine did cut off once while driving, but it was immediately after start up from the engine cutting off after an extended idle.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:32 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Girl_brett
Did this resolve your issue as well? I'm having the same issue, except mine did cut off once while driving, but it was immediately after start up from the engine cutting off after an extended idle.
Yeah that fixed it. It is very easy to replace it too.

Quick Reply: Malfunctioning fuel pump message with engine stalling at idle