E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

How competent are BMW techs

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 07:37 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ""
Default How competent are BMW techs

Hi fellas,

Been trying to resolve the rough idling issue on my dad's car. Has code P0102 low air/low voltage. Decided to replace the MAF sensor and reset code, no use. So I decided to bring it to the pros at a local dealer. The code is not coming back, but the idle is still erratic. They deemed that the sensor is bad based on fault memory, and would cost $700 to fix it. This is absurd in many levels.

-They told me what I already know
-$700 to replace the MAF sensor is outrageous.
-The MAF sensor is new.
-It just cost me $175 for "diagnostics"

Do they not run comprehensive test for air leak/ coil pack/ injector faults? Some of the diyers on yt are more helpful than these 'pros'. Anyone has productive experiences at the shops?
Old 10-09-2018, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

The dealership are mostly incompetent. Unless your car is under warranty there is no need to go. An Indy shop is the best place to go if you are trying to take it to a mechanic.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:43 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
The dealership are mostly incompetent. Unless your car is under warranty there is no need to go. An Indy shop is the best place to go if you are trying to take it to a mechanic.
I would not make a blanket statement like that. I have found instances where some are very competent, but using a dealer is never going to be cheap. I would agree that finding a competent indy is your best bet if out of warranty, but the latter's competence can be all over the map too.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I would make that statement because I have been to more than my fair share due to me moving a lot more than the average person and every time I've had to tell them what to do after misdiagnosing. Now there are some that are good but most troubleshoot on your dime. But the number 1 reason to go to the Indy is to save money and most were techs at BMW and left due to the rules dealerships have in place which gauge for profit.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 5 Series Manual

I don't know about BMW techs because I moved from Mercedes-Benz world. For years, I have been fixing everything myself, except changing tires.

Not sure if it is well known, but this site youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw has a ton of great DIY guides for BMW. They are meant for DIYers like me, so if you don't mind getting dirty try fixing your own BMW. No more excuses.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi

Originally Posted by utah
Not sure if it is well known, but this site youcanic.com/vehicle/bmw has a ton of great DIY guides for BMW. They are meant for DIYers like me, so if you don't mind getting dirty try fixing your own BMW. No more excuses.
That's a GREAT resource! Thanks for sharing. I think I'll post it as a sticky in the DIY section.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2012 5 Series Manual
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JayArras
That's a GREAT resource! Thanks for sharing. I think I'll post it as a sticky in the DIY section.
That would be a great idea.

Moderator note: Done!

Last edited by JayArras; 10-11-2018 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: ""

Originally Posted by utah
I don't know about BMW techs because I moved from Mercedes-Benz world. For years, I have been fixing everything myself, except changing tires.

Thanks for the link. I was a bit frustrated that having spent $400 and not getting a satisfied result. They didn't bother to calibrate the steering wheel sensor after the alignment. I had to use INPA to wipe out all the codes, then calibrate with an ODB scanner.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:55 AM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather

Don't forget there are outstanding tutorials from other sources -- though these usually assume you've found the cause and you want to do the repair:

Best repair videos I've seen are Autodoc from the UK;
Then Bavarian Auto and Pelican Parts (many photo guides too).

Whenever considering a repair, spend an hour reviewing the videos form several sources to get clear on what you're doing.

Nowadays, for most repairs, it's a major mistake to just grab the toolbox and start in. Get educated first.