E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

545i Knocking noise and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i
Model Year: 2003
Default 545i Knocking noise and rough idle

Hi All!

I have an e60 545i 2003 with 124k miles (200k km) and it idles quite rough. I own this car for about 2 years now and the tapping noise becomes worse. It's better on really cold days but when it's warm, it really sounds like uneven diesel. Probably due to this the exhaust note at idle is also a bit rough.
As far as I know the chain has never been replaced and neither vanos solenoids.

Here is a video I made with the noise. Seems that the knocking noise is a bit more at the passenger side of the car.

And here is the rough idle not really visible or audible that well but pay attention to RPM drops after gas pedal is released. In car it vibrates quite a lot. It does similairly when stopping at red light for example. In worst case it drops to about 450rpm.

Any advice of where to start?
Would changing just chain tensioners make any difference in this case? Chain? Vanos?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:36 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i E60
Default Knocking noise

Hi, I had same issue. Did you ever figure out what it is?
Old 03-24-2019, 12:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 545i
Model Year: 2003

Originally Posted by Jimmydo003
Hi, I had same issue. Did you ever figure out what it is?
​​​​​​My car is now at shop - valvetronic system will be rebuilt. Hopefully this will take away those problems I had. I will update later, after repairs will be done. but basically this situation got worse quite quickly, started to get even misfires when cold and such stuff. Apparently if valvetronic is disabled and engine runs great... it's a mechanic problem with valvetronic - most commonly wear of intermediate levers and eccentric shafts.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:08 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Rev92
Hi All!

I have an e60 545i 2003 with 124k miles (200k km) and it idles quite rough. I own this car for about 2 years now and the tapping noise becomes worse. It's better on really cold days but when it's warm, it really sounds like uneven diesel. Probably due to this the exhaust note at idle is also a bit rough.
As far as I know the chain has never been replaced and neither vanos solenoids.

Here is a video I made with the noise. Seems that the knocking noise is a bit more at the passenger side of the car.
https://youtu.be/qUA8fS2XoL0

And here is the rough idle not really visible or audible that well but pay attention to RPM drops after gas pedal is released. In car it vibrates quite a lot. It does similairly when stopping at red light for example. In worst case it drops to about 450rpm.
https://youtu.be/dnQnWyMtElg

Any advice of where to start?
Would changing just chain tensioners make any difference in this case? Chain? Vanos?

Thanks in advance!
hey I have same engine noise. Did you find out what it was?

thanks!
Old 03-27-2019, 01:48 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Rev92
​​​​​​My car is now at shop - valvetronic system will be rebuilt. Hopefully this will take away those problems I had. I will update later, after repairs will be done. but basically this situation got worse quite quickly, started to get even misfires when cold and such stuff. Apparently if valvetronic is disabled and engine runs great... it's a mechanic problem with valvetronic - most commonly wear of intermediate levers and eccentric shafts.
Mine turned out to the the water pump. Just got it replaced with the water transfer pipe, return lines, broken thermostat and serpentine belt. Runs good if not better. Mostly the engine is so quiet. I'm not use to it yet lol anyway good luck to you man. Hope all pans out. Keep me updated on the progress. Thanks for your help.