E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

535i 6 speed m/t swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 02:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i w/sports package
Model Year: 2004
Default 535i 6 speed m/t swap

New here to the forums, I wanted to know what parts I would need to do a complete conversion from auto to manual on a 535i. I’ve been waiting for a 535i with a 6 speed manual transmission to pop up in any of the car search websites, but quickly realized that they are very rare. So I figured I’d start researching a way to do the conversion. I plan on buying a 535i right after paying Uncle Sam my taxes due. I noticed the transmission code for the 335i was the same as the 535i any chance I can source all the parts needed from a 335i? Also, I’m assuming coding the vehicle to remove the auto transmission ecu is possible. I’m fairly familiar with coding and don’t see it as a major issue.

P.S. these dealers listing the 535i with a 6 speed m/t are very ignorant and annoying . The pictures clearly show an auto, but they think it’s a manual because of the ability to manually select a gear via the shift knob. Smh. I’ve had to write them telling them that if it doesn’t have a clutch pedal it’s not a manual!
Old 03-06-2018, 11:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW E60 - MONACO BLUE 6SPD MANUAL
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52B30

hey supra driven,

not sure how far you've gotten on your search...but as i'm sure you know the 335i and 535i come with the same n54 twin turbo engine...so it is very likely that you can swap in the 6spd tranny from the e90/92 335i into an e60 535i...but as the vehicle is smaller (e90 is shorter wheel base than e60) the placement of the shift knob would sit differently than your current automatic shifter...it would require not only cutting into the center console to make sure the shifter sits properly and it's not rubbing against any exposed metal as you change gears...but you would also have to rip out the carpet and cut a whole through your firewall to install the clutch pedal and all the wiring necessary...you would definitely have to code the ecu to recognize the 6sp m/t...i watched a buddy try to swap an S52 with a manual tranny into his e36 and even though it was supposed to fit like a glove...after thousands of $$$ buying the engine, rebuilding it, taking the old one out, dropping the new one in, stripping the interior out to fit the manual gearbox and pedals...he was so sick and tire of all the time and money he spent doing the swap that he would have been better off buying a manual e36 to begin with and just doing a motor swap

moral of the story is...you're better off buying a 5 series that has a 6 spd m/t and then swap whatever engine you want into it with an adapter plate if need be...but keep in mind...at least here in N/A the 6spd manual typically comes only on the base models so it'll be super rare to find something besides a 525i that comes from the factory with a 6 spd m/t

hope that helps man...i was considering all of this before i bought my e60 and as i couldn't find a 535i with the n54 motor in manual...i picked up a 525i with 6spd m/t currently running n52b30 which will be upgraded to an n54 as soon as i can find a cheap donor engine or vehicle
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i w/sports package
Model Year: 2004

Thank you for your input. I didn’t even think of doing the n54 motor swap instead on an 525 or 528 e60. I honestly think the manual swap is cheaper. I saw the 6 m/t on eBay on average for less than 1k. Then I would need to source the other parts of a wrecked m/t 525i or similar. I can’t imagine doing the engine swap because of all the modules I’d have to source. On a side note I found a 535i on Craigslist in TX with the 6 m/t, but a little too late. It was at an independent dealer who wanted 12k for it. I’ll keep my eyes out for another one to pop up. Not in a hurry to buy one. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:56 PM
New Members

yea no worries man...i was just saying from experience i've done both routes and the engine swap turned out better for us...at least considering canadian mechanic wages...but if you do the tranny swap i'd like to see it all done i'm sure it'll be a sick ride nonetheless
Old 03-15-2018, 06:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i Xdrive MSport, Carbon Black/Natural, 6-Speed Man, Dinan stage 2 ECU upgrade
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by BMWE60_1989
hey supra driven,

not sure how far you've gotten on your search...but as i'm sure you know the 335i and 535i come with the same n54 twin turbo engine...so it is very likely that you can swap in the 6spd tranny from the e90/92 335i into an e60 535i...but as the vehicle is smaller (e90 is shorter wheel base than e60) the placement of the shift knob would sit differently than your current automatic shifter...it would require not only cutting into the center console to make sure the shifter sits properly and it's not rubbing against any exposed metal as you change gears...but you would also have to rip out the carpet and cut a whole through your firewall to install the clutch pedal and all the wiring necessary...you would definitely have to code the ecu to recognize the 6sp m/t...i watched a buddy try to swap an S52 with a manual tranny into his e36 and even though it was supposed to fit like a glove...after thousands of $$$ buying the engine, rebuilding it, taking the old one out, dropping the new one in, stripping the interior out to fit the manual gearbox and pedals...he was so sick and tire of all the time and money he spent doing the swap that he would have been better off buying a manual e36 to begin with and just doing a motor swap

moral of the story is...you're better off buying a 5 series that has a 6 spd m/t and then swap whatever engine you want into it with an adapter plate if need be...but keep in mind...at least here in N/A the 6spd manual typically comes only on the base models so it'll be super rare to find something besides a 525i that comes from the factory with a 6 spd m/t

hope that helps man...i was considering all of this before i bought my e60 and as i couldn't find a 535i with the n54 motor in manual...i picked up a 525i with 6spd m/t currently running n52b30 which will be upgraded to an n54 as soon as i can find a cheap donor engine or vehicle
6MT was available with tge E60 535. Just be patient. I have an MSport 535XI 6MT ans see 6MTs for sale on Cars.com sporadically
Attached Thumbnails 535i 6 speed m/t swap-5a2baf95-172a-4a79-8c64-89f2bb11926b.jpeg  

Last edited by mweine; 03-15-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 PM
New Members

hey mweine....how much is that car going for? looks clean
Old 03-23-2018, 05:19 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 08

I am in the process of manual swapping my 08 535i.....

I am not using all these parts and have refined this list greatly. But if you want to find yourself a used 335i 6mt, here is everything else you will need. if you started from scratch. Which I know you are.

535i 6AT > 6MT Parts list - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

The drive shaft is going to be the hardest item to find.....I have spent $2400 so far on everything.

Look me up on Facebook at "RyaN54k" to follow my progress.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:16 PM
New Members

Swap was successful. Just need to code. Car is on the road and doing great!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 535xi Sport, MHD Stage 1 Tune
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by supra_driven
New here to the forums, I wanted to know what parts I would need to do a complete conversion from auto to manual on a 535i. I’ve been waiting for a 535i with a 6 speed manual transmission to pop up in any of the car search websites, but quickly realized that they are very rare. So I figured I’d start researching a way to do the conversion. I plan on buying a 535i right after paying Uncle Sam my taxes due. I noticed the transmission code for the 335i was the same as the 535i any chance I can source all the parts needed from a 335i? Also, I’m assuming coding the vehicle to remove the auto transmission ecu is possible. I’m fairly familiar with coding and don’t see it as a major issue.

P.S. these dealers listing the 535i with a 6 speed m/t are very ignorant and annoying . The pictures clearly show an auto, but they think it’s a manual because of the ability to manually select a gear via the shift knob. Smh. I’ve had to write them telling them that if it doesn’t have a clutch pedal it’s not a manual!
Note sure where you are,...but I just saw a 6-Sp MT 535 for sale! You may want to search again! )Plus,...the time and effort to do a swap will be far better to just sell your car and get one with a MT,...The tranny is just pat of it,...possible new driveshaft,...tranny cross-bracket, etc!

But, if you have the time,....shop resources, and all of the right parts,..you can do it in a day or two of shop time! GL
Old 05-22-2018, 06:35 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by JMD535
Note sure where you are,...but I just saw a 6-Sp MT 535 for sale! You may want to search again! )Plus,...the time and effort to do a swap will be far better to just sell your car and get one with a MT,...The tranny is just pat of it,...possible new driveshaft,...tranny cross-bracket, etc!

But, if you have the time,....shop resources, and all of the right parts,..you can do it in a day or two of shop time! GL
It took me about two weeks of the car being down because of waiting for parts. Not very many used 535i 6mt parts floating around so most everything has to be purchased new. I did the swap for about $2500 and probably took about 15 total hours of actual work.

The car drives great still need to figure a few coding issues that have to do with my dsc, but my software is not working properly at the moment. It was the easiest car, mechanically, i have manual swapped to date.

Quick Reply: 535i 6 speed m/t swap