E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2006 e61 oil level not in I-drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 09:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M54
Default 2006 e61 oil level not in I-drive

hey guys. So I previously had a 2008 535xi so I know how to and the location of the oil level. So I sold that car two years ago and a few days ago picked up a 530xi touring. When I go into the I drive it only has service info and no tab for the oil level. How do I go about checking the oil on this car and is there a way to get it to show up there? Has anyone else had this issue? I saw one or two threads of people having the same issue with no conclusion. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2018, 04:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

This is a new one for me.

Anyone have any ideas on what makes the oil level indicator go missing from the iDrive screen?

Can you make it come up on the instrument cluster at all?
Old 01-19-2018, 01:39 PM
New Members

What’s the process of making it appear on the cluster? I never had to do it with my other car and didn’t see it in the manual. I held the top button for obc as I saw someone in a thread say but it just showed the two faults for my led lic plate lights and nothing else.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:39 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

I have a pre-LCI 07 530iT (nee xiT). I tried to get the oil level to show in the gauge cluster with all the coding mishegaas but finally gave up. I think it's just a LCI option, as is showing actual tire pressure values.

To navigate to the oil level I do this:

Info > Info Sources > Service Info > Service Requirements > Oil Level

Are you saying there isn't oil level if you drill down into Service Requirements? This is the level at which you can see the time to service the various things like plugs, microfilters, brake pads, etc.
I'm sure the menu option could go away somehow but I wonder if you've got it in your head where it should be from memory and you're a page off. To be clear, not trying be a dick - I've just been there where I'm certain something is here only to find out it's there.

Cheers,

Andy
07 530 EX-XIT
Old 02-12-2018, 02:50 PM
New Members

It shows the time in which it needs service there but not the actual level in the car. I’m sitting in it now and checked and double checked. It’s crazy, if it were to go low or even if I were to do an oil change I would have no clue what to fill it to.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Originally Posted by jhstealth
It shows the time in which it needs service there but not the actual level in the car. I’m sitting in it now and checked and double checked. It’s crazy, if it were to go low or even if I were to do an oil change I would have no clue what to fill it to.
The owner's manual gives a guideline/recommendation of adding 1 quart when the low level is reached and the message is displayed. IIRC it might also say to add 1qt if you let it go long enough. You can also read the level in the iDrive service info screen but that requires running the engine for a short period of time for it to take a measurement.
If you're talking about the fill level after a filter/fluid service, there's either forums that give the spec or a few electronic BMW service tools like ISTA+ and the older TIS that will give the fill level. The N52B30 engine (and I suspect the later N54) take 6.5qt with filter change.

As frustrating as it is to not have a dipstick, it is another leak point for both oil and crankcase pressure, which has to be accounted for in the emissions report to the various governing bodies. More cynically, BMW is pushing for customers to not do their own service (hence barely any specs in owner's manuals anymore - wheel torques, fluid capacities, etc) - a dumbing down of the owner, if you will. I'm an engineer at an engine company and many people I work with can't be bothered to do basic work. It's the way we're trending.
As a sidebar, I bought a BMW S1000R motorcycle and they publish the bejesus out of the specs - different market, obviously, but one that is well known to be very self-sufficient and one that demands the info. There are many other capable bikes out there and people will change brands for lesser things.

Cheers,

Andy
07 530 ex-xiT 6MT
Old 02-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Probation Members

Ever find a fix for this? It is a glitch, not by design. I have an 06 530i that has the oil level check and an 07 530xi that does not.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:08 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I have a 2007 530xi with oil level in i-drive so it can be done. It just came that way
Old 04-06-2020, 04:18 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 525
Engine: M54B25

Originally Posted by Brett Anderson
Ever find a fix for this? It is a glitch, not by design. I have an 06 530i that has the oil level check and an 07 530xi that does not.
I have an 05 525i so Pre LCI. The oil level option wasn't available in the iDrive menu but I found a way to code it However, it shows a no measurement error so I'm guessing either more coding has to be done or just update to a new sensor. Btw I know for a fact the sensor that is already in the car is working fine because I got a low oil level warning the other day. (Oil pan gasket leaks)
Old 04-06-2020, 04:21 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 05 BMW 525
Engine: M54B25

Originally Posted by Erik Sierra
I have an 05 525i so Pre LCI. The oil level option wasn't available in the iDrive menu but I found a way to code it However, it shows a no measurement error so I'm guessing either more coding has to be done or just update to a new sensor. Btw I know for a fact the sensor that is already in the car is working fine because I got a low oil level warning the other day. (Oil pan gasket leaks)

iDrive menu added via coding

Quick Reply: 2006 e61 oil level not in I-drive