E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Replacement for E61

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010
Default Replacement for E61

So, after a month, my E61 is still at the dealer awaiting for the parts to repair the electronics the last roof leak broke. Dealer will replace those under the new deal and will relocate them to the driver side. However, this will not fix the issue in the long run. They had worked on this 5 months ago, they had blown the drain lines and replaced the ride height module. I park the car outdoors, my parking spot has a little bit of a slope (I cannot get a different spot), so I know the water is going to keep getting in under heavy and long lasting rains! I have looked at some drain valves (from Porsche) to install in the wheel well, but the fact is that water will continue to get it. This makes me upset and sad at the same time. So, I think it is time to start considering another vehicle, perhaps to take the plunge Apirl/May next year.

Given the little slope, will another BMW experience the same issue? X3, X5 or 3 Series wagon?

I don't usually like SUVs, however, there are two that I would compromise for. I am considering these 2014 models: the X5 diesel because of the efficiency, the 3 series wagon, the Audi Allroad, the V60 R-design (2015), the Lincoln MKC with the 2.3L engine because I think it is a very good looking vehicle, and even the VW Alltrack (2017) because it is a good looking wagon with potential for cool mods (the only one I mod to make it look the way it needs to look (lower, wider tire and more HP)). Or just wait to drive the new Buick TourX. I money was not an issue I would get the V90 hand down...but that's not gonna happen so don't suggest it.

I don't really care about racing or achieving 400 HP, but I do want to squeeze a little more performance from a stock vehicle for straight line acceleration, cornering is not a concern (V60 or MKC cannot compete with BMW on that part).

What do you guys think? Opinions?
Old 11-26-2017, 05:43 AM
New Members

The problem I see with the F31 is cargo space, it seems (in paper) much smaller than the E61. I guess i'll have to bring a couple of items I usually put in the back (dog's bed and ice chest) and see how, and if, they fit in every car to make my decision.

I do like the idea of the F31 diesel, I think that would be a perfect combination, tune it to get a little more HP and get great mileage.

Buick just put the TourX in their site, I'm gonna have to go drive that as well, fully loaded for just above $40k seems reasonable...depending of how it drives.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:47 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61
Model Year: 2008

If you want to remain in the German vein, may I suggest going to look at the '18 VW Sportwagon, NOT the AllTrack.

I am likely going to order one next week for my wife. Top of the line trim level, light package, 6MT and 4 Motion. Asking around $ 33,000.00 CDN.

As it comes with the 1.8 Turbo engine, I'll be looking into giving it just a little more "boost"
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Wagon Master
If you want to remain in the German vein, may I suggest going to look at the '18 VW Sportwagon, NOT the AllTrack.

I am likely going to order one next week for my wife. Top of the line trim level, light package, 6MT and 4 Motion. Asking around $ 33,000.00 CDN.

As it comes with the 1.8 Turbo engine, I'll be looking into giving it just a little more "boost"
You are right about the VW Sportwagen, it is good looking, it would be at the top of my choices if it wasn't that for the US they're only offering the entry level with 4Motion!!! That sucks! You're probably outside the US, thus you do get the SEL trim with 4Motion. The two things I don't like the Alltrack are what make them an Alltrack, the extra height and the plastic cladding all around.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:52 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by E61FUN
In one word (probably): boaty. I haven't driven it though. Maybe GM brought in some design from the CTS-V and they'll surprise us.

Seems that some big wagons may be back for a limited engagement, like the very expensive Volvo V90.

That VW that Wagon Master mentions may be fun. Maybe VW didn't lie about the emissions.
I think so as well, hopefully not too boaty.

Should I forget about AWD and just use a good set of winter tires for the VW Sportwagen SEL? I like the comfort of being about to take some snowy roads when we go skiing. During the Solar Eclipse, having AWD came handy when I took some off road detours running away from the huge traffic jams on my way back. I'd be giving that up with FWD.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:13 AM
New Members

Unfortunately the V90 is out of my allowed budget...wife controls that, LOL!!

One thing I am considering is getting a car cover for when it will rain (as suggested by someone in Bimmerfest) and keeping the car for 2 more years. By then a CPO V90 will be within budget...but the itch of replacing it early 2018 is very tempting, that's why I wanted to hear people's comments on the choices I came up with.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:53 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61
Model Year: 2008

You have three choices for big(er) Europeon wagons... Jaguar, Mercedes, and Volvo. None cheap. May as well go all out and get that AMG 63 S... what the hell.
Yes, that is the big wagon picture, but none of them come in a stick. Over the years I have owned two Volvo 740 Turbo wagons, both stick. I then had a Volvo 850 sedan, again a stick. I thought I was over the " stir your own", and picked up a '98 Volvo V70R, which i enjoyed, but hated the autobox ( no manual offered ) and vowed right then to never purchase another automatic.

My E61 6MT is the most fun I have had since my 740 days. I'm a sucker for MT wagons and for me the VW Sportwagon is the next on my list before the manual in it gets axed.

Unfortunately, the masses have all drunk the SUV Kool-Aid and I don't see wagons making a comeback in my lifetime. Nice to see that a couple of marques are still making them available even though autobox only for the most part. Seems like too many people simply want to "ride" in their car and not "drive" it.

Go ahead, ask me if I'm ever going to own a "self driving" vehicle?

Old 11-27-2017, 11:54 AM
New Members

Perhaps wifey needs to be demoted to mistress and given her own budget.

You have three choices for big(er) Europeon wagons... Jaguar, Mercedes, and Volvo. None cheap. May as well go all out and get that AMG 63 S... what the hell.
Well, for the same price of a new V90 I can get a used AMG 63...so that would be very tempting...if wife allowed the budget
Old 11-27-2017, 11:56 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Wagon Master
Go ahead, ask me if I'm ever going to own a "self driving" vehicle?

You're never going to own a "self driving vehicle", are you??
Old 11-27-2017, 12:11 PM
New Members

And in the news... its ALL SUVs from here on out...Automakers shift to SUVs as consumers steer clear of sedans - LA Times

And I left off another European "big wagon", haha: https://www.bentleymotors.com/en/models/bentayga.html
Indeed sad news but expected. I just returned a Rogue rental that we used this holiday, I drove 900 miles and got a total or 31.9 MPG according to the computer (which I reset at the moment of getting it from hertz while not moving). That is an impressive number when you take into account the stop and go and in town driving. Granted this compact SUV only has 170 HP, but it does 80 MPH with no hesitation, it is peppy enough and it was fairly loaded. When compact SUVs give back comparable efficiency numbers than a sedan, why would a family with kids choose a sedan? Especially if they are not going to corner the vehicle like a sedan or race it like a sedan.
My 6 y/o daughter's only comment about this car versus dad's was "I like that I am sitting high and I can see things outside". that broke my heart because i still prefer the sedan/wagon ride height, but it sure shows one advantage of SUVs for short people.

The Bentayga...although beautiful is not a wagon