E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

2WD conversion - VIN help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:17 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008
Default 2WD conversion - VIN help needed

Hi guys -

I was driving into work yesterday when the car in front of me straddled a huge chunk of concrete. I didn't have enough time to react so I ran over it and proceeded to ventilate my oil pan. Trying to make lemonade from lemons, now is a good time to consider fixing the only thing that's bugged me about the car - it's an AWD. It's quite the rare beast in that it came with a 6 sp manual (which is why I bought it!) but the xdrive has always bugged me up to and including when the transfer case went out a few years back.

Anyway, I'm in the research phase so I'd like to see how feasible it will be by comparing my VIN to a 2WD car in realoem. Would anyone be willing to PM me their VIN from a pre-LCI 530i with 6MT? Or perhaps provide their VO? I know the wagons all came with xdrive but I don't think there are marked differences between the sedan and wagon as far as driveline goes.

Thanks!

Andy
07 530xit 6MT
Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

I have what you have, same model and year. What is it that bugs you about the AWD?

My initial thoughts are that it's probably not worth doing what you propose given it's a 10-year-old car. You'd be better off finding an "I" -- maybe a newer model, although I admit that there are probably not many out there.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Ride: 08 M5 + 10 535xiT = M5 6MT Touring
Model Year: 2010, 2008

Originally Posted by JayArras
I have what you have, same model and year. What is it that bugs you about the AWD?

My initial thoughts are that it's probably not worth doing what you propose given it's a 10-year-old car. You'd be better off finding an "I" -- maybe a newer model, although I admit that there are probably not many out there.
Hi Jay -
The biggest reason is because I've already been through a transfer case failure and am perhaps pessimistic in waiting for the replacement to got TU. Additionally, though, I have a 40k driveline fluid change schedule (including xfer case) which requires removing the exhaust as well as a decent chunk of money for everything. I live in Indiana where we have a few good snows a year, but I already run snow tires so removing 'one more thing to break' is desired. I drive about 18-20k miles a year, and keep cars until they basically owe me nothing. I'm also of the opinion that it just isn't needed - the extra weight/complexity/efficiency penalty are all small reasons but add up to me at least wanting to go through the exercise.

Having a wagon is a requirement, so a non-X is not an option (at least in the states). I love everything else about the car, and am very capable mechanically. I know it doesn't really make sense to do it, but that hasn't stopped me before! I've also sorted the rest of the car with an M5 front end (all factory bits), coil overs to get it to the correct ride height, etc.

Keep in mind, I haven't decided to do it. I want to do the research on the front end to understand my options. I know it will be a huge time sink, but it seems that changing an x-drive pan will essentially require much of the same mechanical work anyway. Of course there is the electrical side of things but those don't seem like they're deal breakers - changes to the VO and modules are well documented (and something I've already done for other things).

Perhaps most importantly, I'm an engineer and am intrigued by the challenge, and kinda want to do it 'because I can'

Regards,

Andy
07 530xiT 6MT
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Sorry... I totally missed the fact that you have an xit. I can totally understand your motivation then. That would truly end up being a rare car!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:30 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61. all of the options that were available.
Model Year: 2008

when i do stuff like this i tend to just select Euro instead of US and pick my car through the Realoem car selector. in euro they have non-x tourings. that way you comparing apples to apples as close as you can.

G~