E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2008 e61 level control system help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e61 2008
Default 2008 e61 level control system help please

So I’ve been researching this for many months and couldn’t find an answer.
Here’s a history of my problems.

I few months ago the rear dropped so low it was basically undrivable so we took it to bmw.
They replaced the airbags for the pump and when I got it back the car was so high. We didn’t complain because we thought it would fix itself but the car was so stiff while driving that every bump felt like hitting a pot hole every time.
After searching forums we got an idea to unplug battery and let the air out of the bags In hope that the car will auto adjust itself.... that didn’t work... the car became a low rider again.
So we took it again to a different bmw dealership and they replaced the control module. That fixed the pump. But they said there’s still a problem with something they don’t know. We decided to take the car back anyway and try to fix the problem ourselves.

The new problem is this... the car pumps to max height every time before you get in the car. When you start driving the car is super bouncy when hitting bumps. After a few minutes of driving it appears the car levels itself to normal height and all is good. However the cycle begins again when you turn the car off and get back in... the pump pumps it to max height again and you’re bouncing like crazy for a few minutes until the car auto levels itself.

Any ideas on what to do?
Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 E61

Have you checked the operation of the ride height sensor attached to the left rear control arm?
Old 09-29-2017, 03:03 AM
New Members

I haven’t and not sure if the dealer has but I will be sure to check it
Old 10-09-2017, 08:06 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by hatterasman
Have you checked the operation of the ride height sensor attached to the left rear control arm?

how do I check if it is working?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:51 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

That is why I said to myself "screw this air suspension" and went coilovers on all four ends

Originally Posted by Ralph W Simbulan
how do I check if it is working?
These should throw an error, only OBD scanners will pick them, something like Carly.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:11 AM
New Members

My Ride: 5er Wagon
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

@OP - could it be possible that it was left set at transport mode by the dealer? maybe an indy can check it out with a computer through the OBD port.. it doesn't take that long to read the settings for the suspension module... perhaps a local member with the INPA software might be kind enough to help out if they have time.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:40 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by NYWagon5er
@OP - could it be possible that it was left set at transport mode by the dealer? maybe an indy can check it out with a computer through the OBD port.. it doesn't take that long to read the settings for the suspension module... perhaps a local member with the INPA software might be kind enough to help out if they have time.

i will have that looked at. I’m in the process of installing inpa and doing it myself
thank you
Old 10-18-2017, 10:21 AM
New Members

I used inpa and it wasn’t in transport mode. I manually adjusted ride height and it seems to be working fine right now.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:20 AM
New Members

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
My Ride: 530iT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: L33

Originally Posted by alexbaldy
That is why I said to myself "screw this air suspension" and went coilovers on all four ends

These should throw an error, only OBD scanners will pick them, something like Carly.
Which ones did you end up with? I'm not a fan of the air suspension either and would love to get rid of it sooner than later.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:07 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E70 X5M
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy
Which ones did you end up with? I'm not a fan of the air suspension either and would love to get rid of it sooner than later.

I got ISC Coilovers.

These ones: ISC Suspension Control Arms Wheel Spacers Brakes & More

I called them and they sold me one set for less than $1000 shipped.