E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

2010 E61 Valuation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:11 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: white
Model Year: 1947
Engine: b38
Default E61 Value

Low!

Last edited by E61FUN; 09-19-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:51 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

beautiful car. It would be easy for people to speculate a value based on a "base" E61 + options + modifications, but like anything the value is ultimately going to be a function of what the market will bear at the time you choose to sell the car. for some people, the modifications may actually detract from the value of the car for no other reason than they don't match the personal preference of the perspective buyer. unless you have someone with a concrete offer in front of you, my point is only that I wouldn't put too much faith in the values suggested here.
Old 07-07-2017, 05:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010, E61, 535i xDrive
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by BostonJon
beautiful car. It would be easy for people to speculate a value based on a "base" E61 + options + modifications, but like anything the value is ultimately going to be a function of what the market will bear at the time you choose to sell the car. for some people, the modifications may actually detract from the value of the car for no other reason than they don't match the personal preference of the perspective buyer. unless you have someone with a concrete offer in front of you, my point is only that I wouldn't put too much faith in the values suggested here.
+1 to this opinion. ^
Old 07-10-2017, 01:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi Sportwagen
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

We purchased an 06 E61 for our family, which we think is great, so I also highly value them.

Assuming the inside of the car looks as good as the outside, my "sort of" rule of thumb is to look at any upgrades and halve the cost of them. High blue book (in excellent condition) is $10.5K on the base car. So add up everything you spent on the upgrades, and tack 1/2 of that amount on to get a "reasonable" sale price. Then shoot for as much as you can get. The real truth is that something is worth whatever you can get paid for it. If you find the right buyer, at the right moment, you might get more than expected.

Best luck if you sell E61. I sure wouldn't.

Jose
Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 AM
New Members

E61FUN, before making a decision to sell it, ask yourself what do you want to replace it with? What's out there worth of you buying? If you have another wagon/car in mind and it meets all your expectations/requirements, then take advantage of this opportunity to get the most for it...and perhaps make your friend happy. But if there's nothing that is worth replacing your wagon with, at this time, then I'd suggest you keep it until there is something worth it.

I think you'll be kicking your butt if you replace it with something less satisfying. For example, an E63 AMG would be worth your while IMO, but will you buy one? If the answer is not then don't do it. If the answer is yes, then go for it (not many of us can afford an E63!). I recently looked at the Volvo V60 and decided that, although nice, it isn't worth changing my wagon yet. I'm waiting to see the Jaguar and the Buick that will be coming into the market soon (I think Jaguar is already here) and keep it for a year or two, at least.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:05 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E61 535Xi
Model Year: 2008

In my humble opinion, if anyone is offering you a reasonable amount that is above the "book value" for the car, I'd say jump on it. Your car is absolutely gorgeous, but it's modified to your taste, and therefore won't bring the extra dollars you're seeing cars on BaT bring, as those are either highly modified high quality examples (think M5-powered wagon), or top of the crop, cleanest, lowest mileage/classic examples that command the premium.
Sadly, such is the truth with mods; to 99% of buyers out there this is a 7-year old car with 120k mi and plenty of horror stories on the 'Net about its reliability. Your job is to find that 1% that sees the car for what it is and is willing to pay premium for it. Many things need to align for this to happen (personal taste is being one of them; for instance, even if I wanted to buy your car, it would be unusable in its current form during New England winters) and this usually takes a long time.
Obviously, best of of luck, but just like pocholin above, I'm secretly hoping this car stays and enjoys all of the love you've invested in it.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by lem0n
for instance, even if I wanted to buy your car, it would be unusable in its current form during New England winters
good point.

@OP: do you have the original wheels or another set to advertise with the car? that way a buyer could throw on a set of winter wheels/tires without a major investment in finding a new set. if not, it may be worth buying a used set of E60/E61 wheels/tires. i've seen them on CL for ~300-400 pretty frequently.

really is a beautiful car though. I don't feel like i see many white E61s. do you have any pics of the interior? i didnt see you mention the sport package - although now that you've added the M5 steering wheel, I'm not sure what other benefit the sport package would have provided. does it have the comfort seats?

Last edited by BostonJon; 07-12-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:24 AM
New Members

In my head, the winter tires aren't the problem here, in terms of Boston's winters. KWs and M-Technik spoiler are, as on all of my M cars (even the ones that weren't lowered), the front lip spoiler was the first victim of snow banks on unplowed roads.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:36 PM
New Members

I think the service lives of the turbos are nearing their logical end
This sentence will scare a lot of "run of the mill" prospective customers away. I really think you'll have a better chance of selling it to fellow boosted BMW enthusiast on one of the specialty boards than BaT, but with BaT running a $69 promo to list your car, why not try both?
Old 07-13-2017, 04:34 AM
New Members

E61FUN, what would you replace the wagon with?