E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynamic Drive malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i Loaded to max
Default Dynamic Drive malfunction

Hello,
I have a 2004 E60 530i with the dreaded Dynamic Drive fault that pops up from time to time. It seems to only come up if I'm sitting still idling. I just bought a new big AGM battery for the car and the alternator puts out a steady 14VDC when it's idling. (I have a digital volt meter plugged into the cigarette lighter. )The car only has 30,000 miles on it and it's been a problem on and off for years now. Every day this week, I have been going through drive thru's for lunch and eating while parked. After 5 minutes of sitting there idling with the air on, the DD fault comes up. My thought at first was that the voltage is dropping causing the error but it holds steady while idling.
The car seems to handle fine whether the fault is on or not.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks much!
Randy
Old 05-18-2017, 07:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

Have you read the codes for the DD malfunction?
When was the last time you changed the CHF fluid?
Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 AM
New Members

I changed the CHF power steering fluid about 10,000 miles ago even though the car only had 20,000 miles on it at the time. After that, the DD malfunction error still came up once in a while. I looked at the codes a million times by I don't remember what they were in regards to the DD. Next time it happens, I'll see what the codes are.
I cleared the codes last Friday and went into the testing modes for DD. The car rocked back and forth in the test as it should and everything passed.
I drove it yesterday and today without any errors yet. I'll see what happens when I'm sitting in the car idling for 15 minutes. That's when the DD fault comes up lately.
Like I mentioned, I just got a new battery and I replaced the voltage regulator last year thinking that was the problem. It's strange because it's intermittent. Sometimes there's no DD error for months. Lately, it's every day when I'm idling. It doesn't seem to affect how it drives but it's certainly annoying.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:21 AM
New Members

Sure enough, Dynamic Driving Fault came up again after 5 minutes of sitting idling.I turned the car off and waited 15 minutes and the error was gone. It only comes up when I'm not moving.
Next, I'll hook it up to the laptop to see what error code comes up.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:31 AM
New Members

I read the codes and I'm getting 5D5B and 6271 error codes with the Dynamic Drive Malfunction message.
What's strange is that it comes on when I'm parked just sitting in the car idling for more than 5 minutes. Once I turn the car off for 15 minutes or so, it goes away.
Ideas?

Thanks,
Randy
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Randmaster
I read the codes and I'm getting 5D5B and 6271 error codes with the Dynamic Drive Malfunction message.
What's strange is that it comes on when I'm parked just sitting in the car idling for more than 5 minutes. Once I turn the car off for 15 minutes or so, it goes away.
Ideas?

Thanks,
Randy
maybe there is some sort of pressure build up while idling that doesnt happen while the car is driving. have you noticed any leaks?
Old 07-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I had strange issues with my 545, including dynamic drive errors. Battery voltage was fine. They were intermittent and unpredictable. The voltage regulator, integral with the alternator, was the culprit. The regulator apparently periodically put out higher voltage than normal and caused faults. I replaced the alternator with a rebuilt and things went from bad to worse. A new alternator solved the problem. This was a fairly common problem with the 545 even with fairly low miles.

See here and search for more: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-Drive-Warning

Last edited by gwf545; 07-18-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Adding a link.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 293 Likes on 282 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

+1. Voltage regulator could be the cause. I would add that if the VR is malfunctioning there should be other lights going off as well. I would suggest you do a test on the alternator to rule it out. If the alternator is having an issue I would replace the VR not the alternator. It only has 30k on it and there is no need to buy the whole thing. Reman. alternators are bad for these cars if you choose to replace it.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:27 AM
New Members

I've replaced the voltage regulator and bought a new 900 CCA AGM battery from Advance Auto. The issue is still there.
I used DIS and INPA to get the codes after they came up. In DIS, I went into the "Start-up" procedure for testing the Dynamic Drive system. this is where the car rocks back and forth during the test while the engine is running. At first, it wouldn't work due to 5D53 and 5D57 errors. After clearing the errors and resetting zeros and parameters, it performed the test and completed successfully.
So, I'm seeing 5D5B, 6271,5D53, and 5D57 errors at different times. The red version DD Malfunction comes up every time I'm idling for more than 10 minutes but the yellow version of DDM also comes up while driving once in a while.
I suppose it could be my alternator putting out spikes or something. I monitored it with a cigarette lighter mounted volt meter and it stays in the upper 13 volts or lower 14's. Of course, i don't think those little meters are fast enough to pick up on voltage drops or spikes.
I want to check the Transverse Acceleration Sensor next. I read that it's under the driver's seat carpet in an E60 but I can't se it without pulling out the seat. Someone also said that it's under the passenger seat carpet. Again, without pulling out the seat, I don't see it. Can someone confirm the location of that sensor?
As always thanks for all your comments and help!! Without it, I'd be forced to take it to the dealer which then forces me to either sell my car or go belly up.

Randy
Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Randmaster
I've replaced the voltage regulator and bought a new 900 CCA AGM battery from Advance Auto. The issue is still there.
I used DIS and INPA to get the codes after they came up. In DIS, I went into the "Start-up" procedure for testing the Dynamic Drive system. this is where the car rocks back and forth during the test while the engine is running. At first, it wouldn't work due to 5D53 and 5D57 errors. After clearing the errors and resetting zeros and parameters, it performed the test and completed successfully.
So, I'm seeing 5D5B, 6271,5D53, and 5D57 errors at different times. The red version DD Malfunction comes up every time I'm idling for more than 10 minutes but the yellow version of DDM also comes up while driving once in a while.
I suppose it could be my alternator putting out spikes or something. I monitored it with a cigarette lighter mounted volt meter and it stays in the upper 13 volts or lower 14's. Of course, i don't think those little meters are fast enough to pick up on voltage drops or spikes.
I want to check the Transverse Acceleration Sensor next. I read that it's under the driver's seat carpet in an E60 but I can't se it without pulling out the seat. Someone also said that it's under the passenger seat carpet. Again, without pulling out the seat, I don't see it. Can someone confirm the location of that sensor?
As always thanks for all your comments and help!! Without it, I'd be forced to take it to the dealer which then forces me to either sell my car or go belly up.

Randy
perhaps the cigarette lighter is protected from voltage spikes (as not to fry your electronics) so you're not able to detect voltage irregularities through it. do you have a way to measure alternator output directly?

I cant find a reference to a "transverse acceleration sensor" but i did find a reference to a "longitudinal accelerations sensor" in WDS (wiring diagrams). they mention that it's under the passenger seat carpet. see image - it's B49

Dynamic Drive malfunction-2017-07-21-15_49_49-bmw-virtual-pc-vmware-player-non-commercial-use-only-.jpg

Last edited by BostonJon; 07-21-2017 at 11:51 AM.