E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

What did you do for your E61 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530XiT BSM/Auburn
Model Year: 2007
Default What did you do for your E61 today?

I have seen these threads in other forums (ie ZHPMafia, E46Fanatics, etc) and had not seen one for E61s which seem to be a nice niche vehicle, so I figured I'd start one. In other forums, these threads go huge....hopefully folks will chime in as it's fun to see what all folks do (or don't do) to their vehicles!

I'll start.

Not today but yesterday, I took the wheels off one by one and scrubbed the snot (brake-pad snot) out of them. Then followed up with a thorough wash and vacuum. It's my first black car in a long time (well, my wife drives a BSM ZHP 'vert but it's so small it cleans up in no time flat) so I guess I'll be back to washing it on a regular basis!

C'mon wagon owners....let's hear it!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do for your E61 today?-photo-2-6-.jpg  
Old 06-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

After dropping a screw into my intake tube and damaging my bank 1-3 turbo which lead to a turbo rebuild, I learned the importance of plugging tubes/pipes while working on your car. Pliny is making sure it won't happen again.

Evan

Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: is black
Model Year: 535

I did this for my e61 today
Attached Thumbnails What did you do for your E61 today?-image.jpg  
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Members

wooboodoo, are you currently running a JB tune? I can only imagine what a stage 3 tune on a twin turbo must be like!

Evan, holy lost bolt Batman! I guess the entire driver's side front suspension has to come out to access that turbo?

BTW, how do you link photos that appear as part of the post and not a thumbnail as mine and wooboodoo's photos did?

-r
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM
New Members

oclvframe I ordered jb4 yesterday, I hope to install it soon

As about pictures open an account on photobucket, (it's free) create folder if you like to keep your pics organized, upload pic you want share, click on the pic then you'll see chain icon above the pic click on it and choose the image link copy it and paste in your thread.

Like this:

Name:  image_zps8bc01610.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  65.7 KB

Hope it helps
Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: E61 with all the mods
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by oclvframe
wooboodoo, are you currently running a JB tune? I can only imagine what a stage 3 tune on a twin turbo must be like!

Evan, holy lost bolt Batman! I guess the entire driver's side front suspension has to come out to access that turbo?

BTW, how do you link photos that appear as part of the post and not a thumbnail as mine and wooboodoo's photos did?

-r

It looks like you got the info on the photos.

The axle was removed to improve access to the v-band clamps between the DPs and turbos. It certainly helps access to the turbos too, the E6X xi is hands down the most frustrating N54 to work on, truly cruel and unusual punishment. Taking the suspension out was cake compared to some of the other parts.

Evan
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wooboodoo
I did this for my e61 today
Why wouldn't you get a Cobb Accessport? I don't understand why people get a piggyback nowadays, when there's the beautiful (in so many ways) Cobb AP.

6 years ago, sure, only options around were piggy's (I've been around this platform for that long), and I had a Procede, so I'm intimately familiar with what it takes to install one into the ECU compartment, but would never want to do that again, to save a few hundred $.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 AM
Members

Ok...so same as I've done on other forums....guess I'll do that in the future. Thanks wooboodoo.

Dang Evan.....I stuck with a N52 so as to not deal with turbos...I know the turbo engine is total kick to drive but I need something I can drive for a long time and put a ton of miles on. Hopefully I'll have good luck piling on the miles on mine (yes, I know...with proper maintenance and preventative maintenance).

-r
Old 06-05-2014, 05:53 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Glowin
Why wouldn't you get a Cobb Accessport? I don't understand why people get a piggyback nowadays, when there's the beautiful (in so many ways) Cobb AP.

6 years ago, sure, only options around were piggy's (I've been around this platform for that long), and I had a Procede, so I'm intimately familiar with what it takes to install one into the ECU compartment, but would never want to do that again, to save a few hundred $.
Glowin I'm not an expert, it's my first turbo engine so I read tons of threads about Cobb and JB4 especially people who run both...
They said that JB4 works smoother, on lower boosts pulling less codes etc. etc.
All I have to do is press two buttons on the steering wheel jump on map 1 or 5 and confirm done.
My car is full stock and I don't think so I'll do any "heavy" mods like I did with my E46 in past.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:11 PM
Members

Default RD Anti-Sway Bar installed

Hi to all,

Installed RD anti-sways today on my otherwise non-modded 2009 535xit.

Install took about 2 hours by a shop, wound up using Teflon tape to silence the bushings which became quite noisy after test driving. Don't know how long the tape will hold up so looking for other solutions to this aspect.

Set both front and rear on the 2nd hole. Haven't pushed it yet but driving home the car seemed quite happy with some swift lane changes on the highway. On slower roads with uneven surfaces and other irregularities the car seemed even quieter and less choppy than with the old setup.

Special thank to Norsecarnut for his advice. If any others have feedback on their installation of these bars it would be appreciated. A few pics follow.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do for your E61 today?-20140610_112741.jpg   What did you do for your E61 today?-20140610_112951.jpg  

Quick Reply: What did you do for your E61 today?