E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xi or xdrive transfer case actuator gear failure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xi wagon 6AT
Default xi or xdrive transfer case actuator gear failure?

Hi,

My 2008 535xi wagon (110k miles) is showing the '4x4 Malfunction, drive moderately' error. It happens on startup, after two brief periods of a 'k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k' (two second pause) 'k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k-k' noise - and then the error message comes up.

From what I've read, this is probably the transfer case plastic actuator gear failure that seems to be fairly common on X3 and X5 vehicles of the last five or more years, usually at higher mileage.

In the first-gen X3, some people have taken the actuator gearbox apart and simply flipped the gear around, because it only uses half the gear - and that's the free fix.

I'd like to just order a new gear, but I haven't seen anything confirming a similar solution for the E60 AWD vehicles. Do they use the same exact actuator gear? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Sarge; 03-10-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:50 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

have you ever changed the oil in any of the AWD components before? just wondering.....and interested in the replies...
Old 03-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by funglenn
have you ever changed the oil in any of the AWD components before? just wondering.....and interested in the replies...
Yes, I changed the fluid with BMW OEM fluid (from Bav Auto) a few months ago. There's signs of a very small 'weep' type leak in the rear shaft output (prior to changing) but when I drained the OE fluid it was 'full' - I couldn't put any more in than what I removed.

There have been no drips under the car in the garage overnight, so I assume there's no issue with the fluid level.

From what I've read on other xi/xdrive cars (non-E60), the gear in the transfer case actuator is plastic, and the teeth chip eventually (around 100k - I'm at 110k). I just haven't read much about the E60 in this regard.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:24 AM
Members

Bump - I still can't find ANY info on the E60 transfer case actuator gear/motor. I'm hoping to avoid replacing the entire actuator motor and just replace the gear, but it seems that I'm somehow the first and only person ever to have a transfer case actuator gear failure in an E60.

Any techs out there who have seen this? Anyone at all?

There is information everywhere about this problem with the X3 and X5, but nothing for other cars...
Old 05-26-2014, 12:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530xi

I had looked into this a while back ( was planning on buying an x3, then bought a 530xi), and from what I read, the e60 and e83 parts are NOT identical. you should be able to order the part from the dealership though - check realoem for a part number.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 PM
New Members

Hey OP did you ever learn more info on this? I have an 08 535XI and my transfer case has failed. The mechanic is taking it apart to see if it's the actuator or the actual transfer case. I am searching for a cheaper way to repair.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Manfrombklyn23@aol.com
Hey OP did you ever learn more info on this? I have an 08 535XI and my transfer case has failed. The mechanic is taking it apart to see if it's the actuator or the actual transfer case. I am searching for a cheaper way to repair.
I have not repaired mine yet. Did you find a solution? I've been driving with RWD for the last year (wife has). I need to get to this now that snow is on the way again. The car has otherwise operated normally. I'm assuming it's the actuator gear in the xfer case. Did you get yours resolved?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 528xi

I have one in my hand, hope to install Saturday:

BMW Transfer Case Actuator Replacement Worm Gear XI Cars 4x4 Warning Alarm Light | eBay
Old 12-17-2015, 11:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530d

I cannot help with the E60 stuff, I have changed a few of these gears in X3's its fairly straightforward, however I have had one which had a worn out clutch assembly in the transfer case, gave same symptoms as the worn gear, yet on inspection gear was ok, so now when one comes in ( I run a small indy garage) I warn a customer that we do the gear first as it never hurts to have a new one and 90% of the time its the cause but every now and again the transfer case will need to come off and be built.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:49 AM
New Members

My Ride: '08 528xi

The fix worked for me, the worm gear was trashed, all other gears in the actuator motor housing looked perfectly fine.

Remove the shields, drop the exhaust, remove heat shields, pull off 3 bolts and the actuator is off.

Wrestling the exhaust around was the hardest part of this job. Getting the TC drain/fill plugs out was kind of tough too. I used a 3/8 x 1" bolt and 4 nuts to make a tool that was able to remove/install the drain plugs.

The old TC fluid looked good when it came out, so I think I'll be all set for another 100k.

Quick Reply: xi or xdrive transfer case actuator gear failure?