DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Dr Frankenstein's CIC Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2011
Default Dr Frankenstein's CIC Retrofit

Hi All,

I understand that there are tons of CIC retrofit threads out there and I have been reviewing most of them. There are also quite a few threads on coding and I will be updating this thread as I go fwd with my version of the cic retrofit. Now the question,
why is my retrofit unique, well primariy because I'm trying to go the el cheapo route.

I found an e90 CIC module from a very late model (date code is 2011-11-06) which means one of the last e90s. The car originally came with the combox option as well(but i couldnt get that one). I got my hands on another combox (date code 2011-7-21). I put the CIC and CID along with new cables in the car it came right up. Even the Nav was up. Refer to the youtube video below:

Now since an e90 headunit doesn't really fit in an e60 I had to improvise. Found a CIC from a Flooded e60 and it didn't seem the water had reached above the bottom quarter of the CIC so I bought it. Next step was to open the suckers up and swap just the top half including the DVD player so that I could use the e90 base (Radio, HDD, etc) with the e60 Top. End result is the photo I've attached at the bottom along with the condition of the donor unit whose condition now looks like The Office Space printer.

Now, since the second time I test fitted the setup with the new top half, the Nav option has been grayed out. I understand that I will need an emulator which I've ordered already along with a programming cable that will be needed for coding purposes. From reading up about the various retrofits out there here is a list of things I need to do first for the CIC portion

1 - Update all SW in the car to latest (Means going to the dealer).
2 - Install the emulator to the 16 pin radio connector in the car before installing CIC.
3 - Since my car is an LCI, I need to jumper a wire from another to Pin 14 of the 16 pin radio connector to get the button panel illuminated. The touch buttons work as is but the panel is dark (no pretty orange lighting yet). Any suggestions on which wire to jumper to?
4 - Purchase of create a COMBOX wiring harness.
5 - CCC controller seems to be working just fine but I have ordered a new wood trim + CIC controller.

And here are my questions:

1 - My Car came with Night Vision. Do I need an FSC to enable it for it to work with CIC?
2 - How to enable PDC in the e90 CIC since my car came with PDC and its not showing up when I put the car in reverse?
3 - How to enable the Climate control in e90 CIC since I couldnt get that to show up
4 - I am not getting any sound at all. Donor car did not have Logic 7 but I do. Is this just a coding change?
5 - Lastly without fitting the combox, the CIC is not detecting my MULF so I have no Phone connection. Aux/USB ports are working but no bluetooth connection. Is this because the CIC is already coded for COMBOX and I need to install that first?

So far, these are my areas of concern. Hopefully one of you master coders can respond and help out a fellow enthusiast

Thanks for reading
Attached Thumbnails Dr Frankenstein's CIC Retrofit-img_6989.jpg   Dr Frankenstein's CIC Retrofit-img_6990.jpg   Dr Frankenstein's CIC Retrofit-img_6994.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 PM
New Members

Also, point to note, i swapped the e90 hard drive with the e60 hard drive, and it had NO difference on the CIC. The e60 donor did NOT have BMW online so I thought that the BMW Online option would not be present once I swapped it into the CIC. But the option remained accessible. Nothing seemed to change on the CIC. So where really is the OS stored?
Old 11-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Members

You have a lot of fun ahead of you! For one you need to code it to your car VO. This will resolve a some issue but not all. OS (QNX) is stored in flash memory. HDD is for maps/music.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:16 PM
New Members

Excellent. Fun times ahead.

About my questions, could someone enlighten me or point me to a link where I can retrieve info to enable PDC and Logic 7. Thanks
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Members

Head to BMW Coding Forum.

What is Coding?

Coding a car means customizing hidden features that are otherwise not available/accessible to you via your car controls. It also allows you to inform your car that certain features have been added after you retrofitted new parts, which is normally required for your new retrofitted parts to work correctly
Old 11-17-2013, 07:04 AM
New Members

Updates :

Got PDC to show up. Got the car picture to change to an e60 in the service menu.

Problem I'm running into is no sound or no HVAC menu on the CIC.

I've tried coding it two ways using NCSExpert after adding $6VA and date code #0909 to both CAS and LMA:

1 - Retrieve the .TRC file from CIC. Change it and save it as .MAN and program it.

2 - Remove .MAN file and try to code it using default settings based on VO.

I have DATEN V46 and I do not get any errors while trying to program.

However, I'm still unable to get sound. Any help?

Last 7 of vin for my car CT53452 for those who want to check factory optins.

Thanks Much

Last edited by addy33; 11-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.

From the OP with my input:

1 - Update all SW in the car to latest (Means going to the dealer).
I did it this way as well
2 - Install the emulator to the 16 pin radio connector in the car before installing CIC.
Same - or get a PnP harness w emulator...
3 - Since my car is an LCI, I need to jumper a wire from another to Pin 14 of the 16 pin radio connector to get the button panel illuminated. The touch buttons work as is but the panel is dark (no pretty orange lighting yet). Any suggestions on which wire to jumper to?
You jumper it into your hazard light connector/wiring - a few other posts have photos.
4 - Purchase or create a COMBOX wiring harness.
Same source as mine!
5 - CCC controller seems to be working just fine but I have ordered a new wood trim + CIC controller.
Good deal - I had to "dumb down" my OEM controller (WinKFP) to make it work with the CIC. You will like the new style better.

See the other CIC Retrofit (Schpenxel) thread about perhaps using the Vortex SSD route to get you fully up.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:40 AM
New Members

so here is the latest update the CIC nav is working now. I actually found another CIC module from an e64 which I am now using. All I had to do was update the L7 amp to the latest software version.

However, here is my next dilemma. My car came with Night Vision. I enabled the NIVI options in CIC such that when I press the NIVI button, the CIC switches the NIVI screen button I'm getting no video at all. I'll post my updated .TRC file here shortly but anyone know why this could be? I hope I don't have to buy an FSC code for this.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 BMW 550i

Awesome work man! Hope you get it figured out.

Just to be clear, you have a E60 (?sub-model/year?) and retrofitted the CIC (or CCC) to be the 2011 version correct?
Is this the only way of getting that layout (+2010)?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:57 AM
New Members

I have an e60 2008 550i that had CCC before. I got a 2010 e64 M6 Cabrio CIC unit that I have setup now. I did not use the Frankenstien CIC yet but I am sure it will work just fine if I try it again now.

The only thing bugging me is that Night Vision is not working. Also, I do not have the Day night map mode in the CIC from the e64. The e90 CIC which is one of the latest CICs has this feature.

Quick Reply: Dr Frankenstein's CIC Retrofit