E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What does a BMW software update actually do?

Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a lot of reading on this. I have a 2004 545i and I understand that MP3 playback and bluetooth are present in the car, it's just a matter of getting them enabled.

I've called a few indi shops and one of them can do the full software update (80 modules) for $250. I believe he said it's the latest one that came out for the E60. Can someone comment what's actually updated? Will it automatically add MP3 CD playback and enable bluetooth? Will there be any other noticeable improvements?

Called the dealership and they said that per the records the car never had any software updates since it left the lot as a new car.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

While I cannot comment for your car specifically, the software updates are intended to make the car more efficient. For example a DME update could affect the way the fuel injectors work,etc. A software update may also add additional features to your car if your car can handle it (hardware). You mentioned the MP3 player, while the software update can enable it, it might still not work for your car because you may not have the hardware. The mp3 only works for models that are after a certain production date. So even if you do get a software update you may still not be able to access some features because of the production year of your car. Also, not all updates are good sometimes the updates negatively affect your car. Sorry I can't answer your questions specifically but that is the jist about updates. Best to do some research on model years and production years to see what features are available.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM
DBU
Contributors

Originally Posted by 540i
I've done a lot of reading on this. I have a 2004 545i and I understand that MP3 playback and bluetooth are present in the car, it's just a matter of getting them enabled.

I've called a few indi shops and one of them can do the full software update (80 modules) for $250. I believe he said it's the latest one that came out for the E60. Can someone comment what's actually updated? Will it automatically add MP3 CD playback and enable bluetooth? Will there be any other noticeable improvements?

Called the dealership and they said that per the records the car never had any software updates since it left the lot as a new car.
Rather than spending money at the Stealership or even your Indy shop, I would suggest you look for an individual in your local area to "code" your car. "Coding" is the act of enabling features already built in to your car but not activated for whatever reason (country specific options). It will cost you less than $100 and the guy should be able to tell you what choices you have with your specific VIN number. Check out the "Mod section" of this forum and look for coding posts.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Members

I actually looked into coding and have found someone local, but in some cases I'm not sure if the car can even be coded to support the features with the old software.

For example, starting 04/2004 BMW started integrating bluetooth into the E60, but it wasn't enabled until 09/2004. The feature can be enabled, but I'm not sure if it can be enabled with the old software. The Service Bulletin lists that a certain version of software needs to be programmed for it to work ("CIP 13.2 or higher") That's why I was inquiring if new software is needed before I can enable the feature through coding. Is there a list which software update is needed for each feature to work, or what each software update does? I don't want the guy to start coding my car and later find out that it needs newer software...I hope that makes sense.

Also, if new software updates the I-drive, fuel economy, transmission, mp3 CD playback, bluetooth and costs $250 while just unlocking 2 features through coding costs $100, I may be better off investing the extra $150 to get the newest toys.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I actually looked into coding and have found someone local, but in some cases I'm not sure if the car can even be coded to support the features with the old software.

For example, starting 04/2004 BMW started integrating bluetooth into the E60, but it wasn't enabled until 09/2004. The feature can be enabled, but I'm not sure if it can be enabled with the old software. The Service Bulletin lists that a certain version of software needs to be programmed for it to work ("CIP 13.2 or higher") That's why I was inquiring if new software is needed before I can enable the feature through coding. Is there a list which software update is needed for each feature to work, or what each software update does? I don't want the guy to start coding my car and later find out that it needs newer software...I hope that makes sense.

Also, if new software updates the I-drive, fuel economy, transmission, mp3 CD playback, bluetooth and costs $250 while just unlocking 2 features through coding costs $100, I may be better off investing the extra $150 to get the newest toys.
Even with the update some features will still be locked due to country specifics. Since you don't really want to spend mucho dinero, I would suggest getting the BMW standard tools, use Winkfp to update the module you want then code it yourself. This would require a laptop (win XP is best), a cable (+-$70 from ebay) and downloaded software.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM
DBU
Contributors

I've done a lot of reading on this. I have a 2004 545i

AFAIK the dealer can not tell you over the phone whether your car has had any updates. They may of course have paper records of any updates THEY have done, I suppose. You are one lucky BMW owner if your car never has had any problems that required reprogramming of modules. It is almost inconcievable.

The deler, or anybody else, will need to hook up your car to see the latest update dates for various modules.

Your neighborhood coder would also be able to update everything the dealer can offer. It may be out of some coder's comfort zone, but the software is readily available.

I would suggest you make a list of what you woud like, then hire a coder under "no cure no pay" and get the work done. Good luck, mate.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Members

Thanks everyone. The coder has actually done 100s of cars. I just don't want to waste his time until I figure out if I have at least V 20.0 I tried following these directions but my "hidden" screen looks totally different so I can't relate to it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-182514.html

Again, thanks every for your feedback.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

I found a coder in NY that enabled some feature for my car for free, it only takes like 10 min. I have features like:

Digital MPH (shows in the bottow screen of the cluster)
Window roll up and down with the key fob
Mirrors fold when door locks and opens when door is unlocked
Seat belt dong disabled
Angel eyes 100% all the time
IDrive disclaimer disable

and a few other cool things.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM
Members

Just found a local indi shop does the update to the newest version for $110. I thought that's a great deal. Will let everyone know how it turns out on Friday.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Members

can someone tell me the latest software available for the 2004 545i? i wanna make sure I get the latest one...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What does a BMW software update actually do?