Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

WTB: OEM SMG shifter knob

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

I need to change my shifter knob looks beat up ... saw a thread earlier of a retrofit m5 smg shifter knob on an automatic e60 but the price for it was alittle expensive ($310 with the plug and play cable) ... just want to know if anyone has one there are willing to sell ... that mod looks sick lol
Old 03-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

Here's a picture of what I'm asking for ... I also found this site selling it for $185 so any price better than that
WTB: OEM SMG shifter knob-installed%2520knob.jpg
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

$185 for the knob from Tischer BMW aka getbmwparts.com will be the cheapest you will find.
You will also need a handful of factory harness parts to make it a plug-n-play. I just did mine on and the knob is HOT!!!
Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
Contributors

toyota2bmw, how difficult was it to fabricate the harness parts into a plug-n-play unit, and what was your final parts cost?
Old 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
$185 for the knob from Tischer BMW aka getbmwparts.com will be the cheapest you will find.
You will also need a handful of factory harness parts to make it a plug-n-play. I just did mine on and the knob is HOT!!!
Yeah that's the site I saw it from lol $300 just for the shift knob mod o well ... I'm getting my interior wrapped in cf and I just got the m5 iDrive Knob so, the shifter is gonna set it off nice

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
toyota2bmw, how difficult was it to fabricate the harness parts into a plug-n-play unit, and what was your final parts cost?
Here is the site I'm getting the plug and play cables from ... http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/category-s/307.htm
Old 03-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

The factory harness and wires weren't that much (I think it was like $10). The most difficult thing was to solder the (-)terminals on the current SMG display to get the zoning lights on the shift knob to work. I really should take pictures of everything I did. Let me know if you need help. I actually posted a DIY on the parts and accessories section of the forum with a link from another forum that helped me.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krazi Bluntz
Yeah that's the site I saw it from lol $300 just for the shift knob mod o well ... I'm getting my interior wrapped in cf and I just got the m5 iDrive Knob so, the shifter is gonna set it off nice

Here is the site I'm getting the plug and play cables from ... http://www.aftermarketbulbsshop.com/category-s/307.htm
Thanks for the link. Plug and play does sound nice..

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
The factory harness and wires weren't that much (I think it was like $10). The most difficult thing was to solder the (-)terminals on the current SMG display to get the zoning lights on the shift knob to work. I really should take pictures of everything I did. Let me know if you need help. I actually posted a DIY on the parts and accessories section of the forum with a link from another forum that helped me.

I feel a bit weary about soldering wires. If you had to remove the shift knob for any reason, you would need to cut wires right? Much respect on the retrofit!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the link. Plug and play does sound nice..

I feel a bit weary about soldering wires. If you had to remove the shift knob for any reason, you would need to cut wires right? Much respect on the retrofit!

Actually, I should have explained it better. The soldering wires happens on the back of the shifter display on the shifter trim piece. You know, where it tells you where the gear is in. No cutting of wires of any modification on the M5 shift knob at all. You would make another harness to tap into with the new parts. Again, I posted a DIY. Hit me up if you want to move forward.