Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

FS: BMW OEM Star Spoke 89!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Up for sale is a set of beautiful Star Spoke 89 BMW wheels with Blizzak LM- 60 tires.
These wheels and tires have only 2000 miles on them, and are a perfect winter settup!
The wheels can be seen on BMW's website here: http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=501

These are the exact wheels I am selling except the setup I am selling is not staggered. I chose a setup that is not staggered in order to provide much better traction in the snow.

All four wheels and tires are in PERFECT condition! Absolutely NO pitting, curb rash or ANY signs of wear for that matter!!! They wheels have NEVER been repaired and the tires have NEVER been patched or plugged!
All four wheels and tires are equipped with the TPMS!!!

The tires perform AMAZING in the snow!
I personally drove my car (2010 550i) in the snow (deep snow) on this settup, and as you know the 550i is rear wheel drive and it had absolutely not traction issues! The best part was I drove my mothers 2008 528xi in the snow minutes after driving the rwd 550i equipped with these wheels and tires and the difference in traction was extremely negligable!

These wheels are OEM authentic BMW wheels and are VERY rare! I personally have never seen them on any car but my own and when they were on my car I got complements on them constantly! They are very unique and have a very sporty agressive look to them. They are definately not at all the typical ugly winter wheel settup that goes on most cars this time of the year. And at the same time you are not at all sacraficing winter performance for looks.

Here are some pictures:

I will let these go for $1500
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
I would prefer local pick up and I am located on Long Island.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Members

bump! still up for sale!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Any interest in just selling the tires? PM me a price if so.

Thank you!
Old 12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
Any interest in just selling the tires? PM me a price if so.

Thank you!
no sorry, i need to sell them as a set
Old 12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dillon733
Bump! Still up for sale!
I'm interested but can't seem to pm you.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

You said they are all same width, but you did not say which width. These are available in 8" or 9" widths and that tire could have gone onto either, most likely the 8" but just being sure. How did you end up going with a taller than stock tire? oem is 245/40x18 you have 245/45x18 which is about an inch taller. I know they fit fine but just curious on that.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by jwestpro
You said they are all same width, but you did not say which width. These are available in 8" or 9" widths and that tire could have gone onto either, most likely the 8" but just being sure. How did you end up going with a taller than stock tire? oem is 245/40x18 you have 245/45x18 which is about an inch taller. I know they fit fine but just curious on that.
From what I have read regarding snow tires, it is not uncommon to go with a taller tire and a square, non-staggered setup for winter driving. Not sure what the real reason is. Snow clearance? Pot hole protection?
Old 12-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Yeah, I just put a slightly bigger tire on the Audi for similar reasons. The S4 oem is 235/40x18 but I liked the RFT 245/40 which is beefier. I realize it's slightly wider but it is also taller. With the awesome quattro system, wider won't be hurting the traction much. Put on the Pirelli Sottozero RFT.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Members

OK I havnt been on for a few days I've been really busy but let me answer some of your questions.
The width is 8".
I went with a taller than stock tire in order to get better snow traction. A taller tire means deeper tread depth which in turn provides better traction in the snow. This has not given me any issues. There is still more than enough clearance. Their are no rubbing issues whatsoever. Theirs even enough room to probably put an even taller tire on.
OK the next part you have to check your facts on. The new tires are nowhere near an inch taller (not that an inch taller would even cause a problem. With all do respect I believe you are calculating the size wrong. The way you calculate a sidewall size is as follows:
1. Take the first number, in this case 245 and convert 245mm's to inches. That gives you 9.6 inches.
2. Take 9.6 and multiply it by .45 (the second number as a decimal) That gives you 4.32 inches.
3. Take 9.6 and multiply it by .40 (for the comparison of the oem's that are on your car im assuming). That gives you 3.84 inches.
4. Subtract and get the difference, which is .48 and is not even a half inch.
If you dont believe me check it out here (a nice online easy to follow explanation of calculating tire sizes), which can be found half way down the page:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=46

Also in the future, with all do respect, if you are unsure please do not post things like this as you can give people viewing this thread false information and potentially jeopardize my sale.

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
From what I have read regarding snow tires, it is not uncommon to go with a taller tire and a square, non-staggered setup for winter driving. Not sure what the real reason is. Snow clearance? Pot hole protection?
Ok to answer your question the reason people go with bigger tires is for deeper tread that way you get better snow traction.
The reason people go with a "square" settup and do now go staggered is so that your tires are a little narrower. When you want good dry traction you get wide tires. When you want good snow traction you buy narrower tires. Narrower tires kind of cut into the snow as opposed to wide tires whih kind of sit on top of the snow which leave you sitting on top of snow spinning. Which can be fun, but not when you have to be somewherre and the drivers around you are laughing.

Yeah, I just put a slightly bigger tire on the Audi for similar reasons. The S4 oem is 235/40x18 but I liked the RFT 245/40 which is beefier. I realize it's slightly wider but it is also taller. With the awesome quattro system, wider won't be hurting the traction much. Put on the Pirelli Sottozero RFT.
As far as RFT (run flats) go I am NOT AT ALL a fan of run flats. With all do respect to the tires you purchased I PERSONALLY would not have chosen run flats. Run flats provide worse traction in any kind of weather. If you look at any high performance car ie lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche (real ones) (GT3, GT2, Turbo) they never have fun flats beacause run flats do not grip the road as well as non run flats. Also run flats provide a much harder ride and are more uncomfortable to drive on. Run flats also can never be patched or plugged. I could go on and on but I think thats enough for now. But I personally HATE run flats. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dillon733
The new tires are nowhere near an inch taller (not that an inch taller would even cause a problem. With all do respect I believe you are calculating the size wrong. The way you calculate a sidewall size is as follows:

Also in the future, with all do respect, if you are unsure please do not post things like this as you can give people viewing this thread false information and potentially jeopardize my sale.

With all due respect, please read what people write before slamming them. Who said anything about the "sidewall" height? I did not.

Your tire IS IN FACT ~1" taller than oem. The DIAMETER is it's height, i.e. "taller"

All of your "calculations" are fun and interesting although they do not relate to the exact tire dimensions because it is not a universal system, meaning, just like shoes we wear, any given "size" is not always the same as the next tire brand and model "size".

So, in the future, do your research first or ask a simple question for clarification before you try to negate a post.

Additionally, a "taller" tire, regardless of meaning actual diameter, or sidewall differences, is not necessarily going to yield deeper tread or traction. What makes for better snow traction in general is a smaller footprint. You in fact simply went to a larger tire and may not have even reduced the tread contact width by any meaningful amount. At best, you went from roughly 9.8" section to 9.6" section. .2" is in the right direction, but not much. Tire specs will show the tread depth for each size and while sometimes the depth increases, it is not more per every tire for each size upwards. Generally it increases by 1/32" at some point in the size range, but then from there on it's the same depth over many sizes again. Even if you went from one to the next and gained 1/32", it is not enough to matter.

Any traction you gained by having this taller tire, is only going to be realized if you are nearing the maximum clearance under the car in which case, gaining the 1/2" in tire sidewall, would be an advantage, or when going over particularly high speed bumps!

Quick Reply: FS: BMW OEM Star Spoke 89!!!