Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

FS AFE COLD AIR INTAKE FOR 2004-05 525/530

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 03:37 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002. W203. C230 Kompressor::SOLD! 2004. E60. 530i.

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but, how do you modify the AFE intake?

Because I bought mine a few months ago, and just realized it's for the 06-07, I have 04 530i.

Thanks a bunch, happy new year too... =D
Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Members

I have the same question, ready to get a 06-07 brand new and modify it. Anybody can show me how? I searched everywhere, no luck
Old 03-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by maxmsu' post='547721' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:16 PM
I have the same question, ready to get a 06-07 brand new and modify it. Anybody can show me how? I searched everywhere, no luck
Give me till tomorrow and I can put up some "post install" pics.

It isn't that difficult to do once you have gone through the process, however there are a few things you HAVE to have or you will be stuck.

Side angle grinder with a cutting disk. (Or drimel tool with loads of disks)
Torx set, both socket and hand drive. ( 8 and 10 if I am not mistaken)
1/4" socket drive and extension.
Long ass srew driver phillips or a pocket type standard drive
Hack saw

******4" long 3 1/4" OD rubber intake hose*******

There are 3 main modifications that have to transpire to make the 06 kit work on an 05.

A.) You WILL cut the actual housing the breather element sits in. You see, once the stock box is out you will beable to fit the AFE case in the void that has been created....However, the Afe intake tube that is sent with the kit will no way even come close to lining up to your stock intake hose. Therefore "I" cut the whole bottom of the breather element case off. It is 1/16" thick steel so dont even think a drimel tool unless you have boat loads of disk's. I used a side angle grinder. Well, not me but a friend.

B.) You WILL have to cut the AFE intake tube that comes with the kit. Its hardened plastic and this is the "o'geezus" cut. If you wack off too much on the first go you are screwed. I believe we started 3 inches out from the MAF sensor port and cut down from there. You will see what I mean if you buy the kit and start working on it.

C.) You WILL have to cut the stock intake tube that connects to your intake manifold. This cut will down your car stock wise if you cut too much. So measure 10 times then cut once....

The stock tube will have to come off, DO NOT cut it while in the engine compartment. There are 2 screw type clamp rings that connect it to the intake. One is the main hose itself, the other looks to be some sort of bypass hose. The clamp screws on my car were facing down so was a real bitch to get out....Long driver to come from under the car or a short little pocket screw driver comes in to play here. I used both. The main hose is fitted to the intake and only comes off one way, you cant twist it to loosen it up. So once the ring is loose its on there pretty good so go at it and it will come off. Remove the bypass hose from the intake first so when it lets go nothing breaks....This is the tube element you will be cutting to fit the AFE intake hose. For more room during this operation, I removed the "Butterfly valve control unit" that sits pretty much on top and is in the way of the hose removel process. 2 torx bolts "10" if I am not mistaken. Pretty simple, comes right out...

To further help in fitting, take the bolts that hold the power stearing pump res off so it can move around.

Now when all this is off and you are fitting in the case after its cut, mind the power stearing house that is to the right of the radiator. You will see it clearly, it has a kind of Loop in it. IE ___()___ It will make sense when you see it. When you proceed to place the filter housing in, it will touch, ride and press agianst this hose. Becareful not to rip this hose! The case will only go in one way and will sit the way it wants to. With the bottom cut you will not be bolting it to the frame via the bottom studs.

Heres the LAND MINE that will screw you if you dont have another car. The rubber flex hose that AFE sends with the kit is TOO BIG to fit anything after you have made your cuts. I found this out the hard way. You WILL need the hose I mentioned on items needed. If you dont have it you are now screwed....PERIOD....

After that just trim and fit as needed and all will fit. Expect 4 or so hours for this job, and take baby steps on the hose cuts. The modified cut housing will only want to fit in the void created one way. It is going to be tight so dont let that worry you. All of this will make sense once you start taking things apart. Infact run to BMW and buy the stock intake hose for 38 or so dollars and cut on it if you are worried about messing up. Its the one that has the "bypass" hose attached to it and runs directly into the intake on the engine.

Reset your tranny IE key in POS 2 and hold the accelerator peddle to the floor for 25sec and bingo bango you are done.

The difference is real, and it is louder under the hood. When getting on it during take off you will see your gas needle move LOL...Keep it stock and throw dollars out the window for the same effect.

Your car may trip a code as well, see my other post about the engine light.

I am having mixed feelings about it all, so may be selling mine.

Didn't mean to hijack a thread, just trying to help. The powers that be can and may delete this if I am in the wrong by posting this here.

Good luck.....