Private Member Classifieds Items for sale by members who are not vendors should be posted here.

Extended warranty (exclusionary type) at good price

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone has read my posts on various forums, they have seen that I have absolutely no use for most third party extended warranties. Too much fine print.

About two years ago, I purchased a GMPP warr from a dealership in Ebensburg, PA. The warr contract describes itself as it covers everything (except wear and tear and cosmetics) that was covered under the original manufact warr. Price was about 40% off of retail.

I am getting ready to buy the GMPP warr on my 07 530i. Most likely a GMPP warr. Others that I have considered are: Mastertech and Toyota Extra Care. With all of these warranties, you take your vehicle to any licensed dealer (as opposed to my cousin) for repairs. GMPP typically pays the dealer directly. I have a choice of deductibles: $0, $100, or $200. I prefer the $0, as I think it is more cost effective.

Their website is gmoutlet.com, and they also have an 800 number. Contact person there is Jean.

Normally, I do not buy an ext warr for regular cars like Chevy, Ford, Buick. For lux cars, however, it is a diff story.

I am in no way related to this organization; nor do I work for it. And I have done a ton of research on extended warrs.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Members

You think GM will be around in 12 months?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='820249' date='Mar 18 2009, 12:17 PM
You think GM will be around in 12 months?
GM does not own GMPP. Along another line, if GM does go into receivership, they will reorganize. As you are aware, there are different types of bankruptcy. GM is smart enough to continue providing service, parts, etc to its customers. If knows that if it renigs on its new car warranties, that will be the immediate death bell. Again, the GMPP is owned and backed by a major ins co not General Motors.

Keep in mind that there are so many loopholes in most third party warranties that they are not worth the paper they are written on. Take a copy of some of these warranties and ask any service mgr to give you his opinion. E.g., most third party warrs do not cover an item if the manufact published a TSB on it. Frankly, there are thousands and thousands of TSBs on every car. Also, the third party warrs refuse to cover parts unless the part is physically broken. E. g., they will not cover anything related to noise, engine smoke, piston slapping, noisey bearings, until they ACTUALLY BREAK.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Hey Z!

Glad to see you're still out there - hunting?

If you're interested in considering another one, starting Monday, March 23rd, I'll be dealing extended warranties myself (I've gone and cut out that middle man that wasn't getting the job done after all), so if you are interested in comparing, PM me - I'll be glad to provide an extra option.

GL and whatever happens, don't forget to write it up - I think just about everyone on this forum wants to know as much as possible about ext. warranties.

V.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530goinon850' post='821004' date='Mar 19 2009, 05:44 AM
Hey Z!

Glad to see you're still out there - hunting?

If you're interested in considering another one, starting Monday, March 23rd, I'll be dealing extended warranties myself (I've gone and cut out that middle man that wasn't getting the job done after all), so if you are interested in comparing, PM me - I'll be glad to provide an extra option.

GL and whatever happens, don't forget to write it up - I think just about everyone on this forum wants to know as much as possible about ext. warranties.

V.
I have been searching trying to locate you. Unfortunately, I was searching under 850 instead of 530. DUH!!

If you want to send a PM, we can try and talk this weekend via phone.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 e60, 00 e46, 93 e36, 90 e30, 01 MK4 1.8t, 98 MK3 GLX VR6

What was the date you purchased your car and how many miles are on it now?...I'm a Finance Mgr at a Toyota dealer and can hook you up on a Toyota Extra Care VSA if you want...let me know!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

Originally Posted by bmdoubledru' post='821364' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:15 PM
What was the date you purchased your car and how many miles are on it now?...I'm a Finance Mgr at a Toyota dealer and can hook you up on a Toyota Extra Care VSA if you want...let me know!
I have 33k miles i'm in the bay area I ran out of my warranty 3 months ago.. what can you do for me?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

any advice for me? i have a 2004 with 39,000 miles on it. i'm out of warrenty but looking to get a good extended warrenty. gmpp seems to not offer anything if you are out of 3yr/36,000 miles.

let me know
Old 03-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 e60, 00 e46, 93 e36, 90 e30, 01 MK4 1.8t, 98 MK3 GLX VR6

sorry guys...you must be within the 3/36,000 period to get a new car service contract..good luck though!
Old 03-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bmdoubledru' post='822435' date='Mar 20 2009, 04:00 PM
sorry guys...you must be within the 3/36,000 period to get a new car service contract..good luck though!
Andrew Kahrimanian,

When I started the thread here about an extended warranty with a good price, I was referring to a good price for the buyer, not necessarily for the seller.

This is your quote, Andrew: I don't know what you've already been quoted but according to my rate book, your cost is $2835.

My comments: My quotes (for my 530i on exclusionary warranties with an excellent reputation (Toyota, Mastertech, GMPP, Fidelity) with $00 deductible and for a similar length of time past the original warranty have been anywhere from $1820 to $2105.

I keep thinking that you have spent too much time in contact with the Detroit people who have historically looked towards immediate rather than long term profit.

If you were in the above price range from the get-go, then I suspect some of the forum members would have raved about you and your pricing as I have raved about these 4 warranties and the website called gmoutlet.com.

I am a little embarassed about being so blunt, but I am trying to assist other members save some $$ and I am trying to assist vendors in making some $$.

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty (exclusionary type) at good price