5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Private Member Classifieds (https://5series.net/forums/private-member-classifieds-37/)
-   -   Bumping Threads Banned (https://5series.net/forums/private-member-classifieds-37/bumping-threads-banned-65243/)

Lomag 11-12-2008 01:48 PM

To all Classifieds Posters:

As of today, if you "bump" your thread here in the classifieds sub-forum, the entire thread will be deleted. By bumping your thread we mean your typical "bump" post, in addition to "PM Sent/Replied/Answered" type posts, and any unnecessary "thank you" type postings all of which serve no purpose other than to move the thread in question up. This type of activity clutters up the forum and quickly moves items from private sellers from public view.

In addition, due to the large amount activity as of late, we're thinking to possibly split up the classifieds sub-forum into private sales which would continue to be posted on the main classifieds sub-forum page and create a new "Vendor Sales" related sub-forum for those type of postings. What do you all think?

Finally, by the end of this year, we're thinking of instituting some very basic rules here to hopefully eliminate some of the recent complaints we've been getting.

What do you all think about these issues?

cleung 11-12-2008 01:53 PM

all good ideas, however I think if you ban bumping you are going to have a lot of duplicate posts. If people don't get hits on there threads and still are trying to sell then they bump there thread up if you don't allow this people will simply repost.

DrLev99 11-12-2008 01:57 PM

Definitely a "Vendor" vs. "private sale" sections needed. In many cases the vendors' ads bump the private sales right off the first, main page...which makes things difficult for the "little guy." :cool:

siu0410 11-12-2008 01:58 PM

Mark, how about the idea of a vendor section and a private sale section?

BALASUBAS 11-12-2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cleung' post='719447' date='Nov 12 2008, 02:53 PM
all good ideas, however I think if you ban bumping you are going to have a lot of duplicate posts. If people don't get hits on there threads and still are trying to sell then they bump there thread up if you don't allow this people will simply repost.

correct! :D but it would be a great idea separating the vendors from private sellers :D

Iceman 11-12-2008 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cleung' post='719447' date='Nov 12 2008, 11:53 PM

If you're a private seller and you don't get replies, you might think about adjusting the price.
Posting a new price is not a bump. ;)
It's a new info, or an update.

It is a little different with vendors who have almost everything they have in stock posted in our classifieds and keep bumping it ttt.
This morning when I logged in there where two vendors who had a "bump war" going, and all private sales were off page 1.

With the ban of bumps we protect the private sellers here. ;)

mrfva 11-12-2008 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='719456' date='Nov 12 2008, 04:57 PM
Definitely a "Vendor" vs. "private sale" sections needed. ...

:thumbsup:

Iceman 11-12-2008 02:04 PM

Another thing you guys probably never thought about:

Bump interferes with the search functionality of our forum.
Because we are a car forum, people search for bumper and get hundreds of bumps...

That's why I deleted bumps once they are not needed anymore, what takes about an hour every day.
Just today it's already two hours, since that bump war I mentioned made many others post a bump too.

So even with a seperate vendor classifieds, bumps should never be made.
It is not difficult to bump your thread.
You can lower the price, add details, etc. ;)

C5driver 11-12-2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='719461' date='Nov 12 2008, 03:00 PM
:thumbsup:

+1 for the private sales v. vendors sections. It wouldn't stop the vendor wars though. Seems some of the new guys are a bit aggressive in spamming the board. When I got on last night, page 1 was almost all spam. No cool at all. :thumbsdown:

Gene 11-12-2008 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='719456' date='Nov 12 2008, 02:57 PM
Definitely a "Vendor" vs. "private sale" sections needed.

+1 :thumbsup: