Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

why in the hell do we not have this on bmw

Old 08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='991701' date='Aug 28 2009, 01:39 PM
....you actually have to go into Vag-com....
Is that the headquarters for all females on the planet???
Old 08-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='991825' date='Aug 28 2009, 03:23 PM
I agree with swajames - in this day and age we SHOULD be able to have this, however, ...

I'm not sure why we'd WANT this!! These are driving machines, the KISS principle makes sense to me - they're already too high-tech to have a long life I suspect.

Cal
Old 08-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i M-Sport, Carbon Black Metallic/Natural Brown

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='991896' date='Aug 28 2009, 07:50 PM
I'm not sure why we'd WANT this!! These are driving machines, the KISS principle makes sense to me - they're already too high-tech to have a long life I suspect.

Cal

Agreed. It's a matter of perspective. Of course we can have throttle by wire where opening a butterfly (carb or airflow) via cable can be recreated with servo mechanisms, but what you look for is throttle modulation finesse and reaction time not vibratory stimulus. And indicator stalks succumb to the same argument.

Just because we can, may not mean we should. As for weight savings and rack and pinion be archaic, I say you could juxtapose a hundred pounds of electronic "premium" dead weight that add little if anything to the actual "driving" experience. Having 10s of pounds of computing power, 23way seat servo motors, etc. etc. is perhaps where weight shedding should be better considered than removing one of the last direct feedback links to the actual tires that touch the road (e.g., old fashioned geometry and steering linkages that can be oh so sweet).
Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Members

I don't want "drive by wire" steering. Planes are fly by wire but they also have system redundancies and the equipment/technology is expensive.

With drive by wire throttle it?s easy to have a fail safe mode that just shuts of the gas, you can't do that with the steering.

Mercedes had drive by wire brakes, not steering, a few years back on some E and S class cars. They had a lot of problems with it and abandoned the set up going back to conventional hydraulic brakes.

The answer to everything is not necessarily more servos, circuits and electric motors... There is fine line between technological improvements and technology just for technologies sake that doesn't improve the driving experience or enhance safety.

Now don?t get me started on the ?electronic dipstick? we all love?
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Diamond' post='991522' date='Aug 28 2009, 01:55 PM
So I came across this hywire technology by GM while I was trying to learn further exactly our steering works since mine is having trouble and wanted to know all parts involved.

So like Drive by wire throttle- it is steer by wire.

What a great idea, no clunky steering column, rack etc which saves weight, eliminates powersteering pump losses and coolest of all it is all digital so you can have settings for how firm or soft or what ratio you want for steering.

I understand the arguement if the sensor goes than you cant steer-but clearly that would need work-but this would be truly the most amazing thing in cars in decades in my opinion

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hy-wire3.htm
I despise throttle by wire. I would not want steering by wire either. I want a direct connection to my throttle body and my wheels.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Members

My Ride: May 2009 BMW 535d M-Sport Touring in Carbon Black.

The problem is that European regulations require a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels so it's a non-starter.