Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

"When Your Best Sound System Is in the Car"

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006 | 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

The Personal Journal (D) section of the WSJ has a front page story on high-end stereos being fitted to all sorts of new 2007 cars. Interestingly, BMW is only mentioned in passing, (as in mention of a high-end techy car, as opposed to be cited as having an advanced system.)

The most "news" to me was that Lexus (2007 LS460) will feature a Mark Levinson system with a HARD DRIVE for up to 4000 CD tracks, and 19 speakers! From there, the article drifts into Ford and DaimlerChrysler models and trucks with big tailgate power. The eye-popping $6,300 B&O system for the Audi A8 tops the sidebar list. The MB Hardon Karmann system will move up to 14 speakers from the standard 12 of this year.

Even Hyundai gets a mention with a $1,500-2,500 available package. But no word on BMW: Especially odd since the new 2007 models are imminent. Maybe we should look for news of them in Mother Earth News (air resources section).

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 02-15-2006 | 12:20 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I saw that article. The Audi B&O system also has pop up tweeters in the dash! They forgot to mention the Bugatti Veyron system, which is standard, and costs something like $30,000!
Old 02-15-2006 | 12:39 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

I was never impressed with the Levinson system in Lexus.

And B&O, quite frankly, is not an upscale brand. BOSE, Boston Acoustics, Hardon Karmann are considered "mid-fi" in audiophile circles, along with B&O. High price does not equal great sound.

Isn't the BMW system a Hardon Karmann?

I'd like to see B&W do something with BMW. That's a natural. Maybe use Linn as a source. It'd be pricey, but would sound glorious.
Old 02-15-2006 | 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Captain Tenneal' post='240704' date='Feb 15 2006, 09:39 PM
I was never impressed with the Levinson system in Lexus.

And B&O, quite frankly, is not an upscale brand. BOSE, Boston Acoustics, Hardon Karmann are considered "mid-fi" in audiophile circles, along with B&O. High price does not equal great sound.

Isn't the BMW system a Hardon Karmann?

I'd like to see B&W do something with BMW. That's a natural. Maybe use Linn as a source. It'd be pricey, but would sound glorious.
Linn are tied into a deal with Aston Martin, I suspect it's exclusive arrangement
Old 02-15-2006 | 12:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Black on Black 545i Auto, Sport, NAV, Sirius, Cold Weather Wifey drives an X5 4.4 with Sport

Originally Posted by browellm' post='240706' date='Feb 15 2006, 01:42 PM
Linn are tied into a deal with Aston Martin, I suspect it's exclusive arrangement
Bummer...

Naim? Krell?

OOoooooo! Maybe MBL could make some of those funky radial speakers! They're German...
Old 02-15-2006 | 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

When your best sound system is in your car, it's time to quit living there.
Old 02-15-2006 | 01:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I don't think our L7 system is that great. The DVD Audio and Dolby Digital systems in luxury Japanese cars, like in the Acura RL, sounded much better to me.
Old 02-15-2006 | 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

B&W does not do car audio. B&W loudspeakers are good primarily because of their cabinet designs.

Since car audio speakers are sold without cabinets, this is not an area where B&W would necessarily be great.

The Logic 7 is by Harmon Kardon, and the other post describing Harmon Kardon as mid-grade was spot on accurate. Harmon Kardon, Bose, etc... these brands are well known names... but they are nowhere close to being "high-end."

Dynaudio would be a good choice for BMW to partner with... although I think Volvo is using them. But in the high-end aftermarket world, Dynaudio speakers are among the best you can find.

Some other good brands would be: MB Quart or Canton (although I don't consider either of those brands on the same level as Dynaudio)

But.... all of those names I've dropped just make speakers. Speakers are only going to be as good as the amplifiers running them. In the car audio world, the best amplifiers are all by american companies.

And then you need source units.... which the best are Japanese.

So... putting together a quality system made by a single company is not easy... and this is clearly what BMW is trying to do, to save on costs.
Old 02-15-2006 | 02:52 PM
Contributors

I am happy with my system...No LG7 but still it sounds good!
Old 02-15-2006 | 05:21 PM
Senior Members

I have heard the Linn in the AM, and am quite impressed. I'm an older audiophile, and yes, most of those other systems are nothing but mid-fi, marketed as top shelf. The L7 in my car is OK, especially with good program material, but won't compete with the best. Yes, have seen the new system in the S550, and BMW better get to work.

Quick Reply: "When Your Best Sound System Is in the Car"