Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

We know BMW is listening to us,

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The following article is quite interesting and proves that forums like this can be more than just a place for us to chat about our cars...

http://www.internetweek.com/shared/printab...cleID=160503494
Old 04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's funny to me that they would worry about us perceiving their presence as a negative. I'd welcome some official representation on this board, especially if they could convey our concerns and requests to the engineers, and answer some of our technical questions about updates etc!

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Apr 12 2005, 06:18 AM
The following article is quite interesting and proves that forums like this can be more than just a place for us to chat about our cars...

http://www.internetweek.com/shared/printab...cleID=160503494
[snapback]114441[/snapback]
Old 04-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Scott, BMW NA Customer Relations (click here for their profile) regularly monitors this board and sometimes posts generic replies to specific problems.

Also, BMW Engineers in Munich monitor this board although they don't post publically.

You can't buy the type of feedback we're giving them -- they have to love what we do here...
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

You'd think if they read this board on any kinda regular basis we'd have MP3 and RDS by now...
Old 04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BurgessMW' date='Apr 12 2005, 08:14 PM
You'd think if they read this board on any kinda regular basis we'd have MP3 and RDS by now...? ?
[snapback]114508[/snapback]
They do read the board...
Old 04-12-2005, 11:01 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

and DVD playback!!!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i, Steptronic, coldweather, comfort seats, Logic 7, front/rear seat heaters, navigation. sirius

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Apr 13 2005, 02:01 AM
and DVD playback!!!!!? ?
[snapback]114774[/snapback]
Would be sweet!

Friend of mine just took delivery of a STS Caddy. Has DVD playback as long as the car's stationary. It was kind of fun listening to him bragging about all his great features, of course I checked them all off like baseball cards, "got it, got it, got it..." Then he mentioned DVD playback.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Black Anthracite. Sport Pkg, HUD, NAV, 20-way Comfort Seats, Prem Snd Pkg Logic7, Htd Rear Seats, Rear side impact, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold Down Rear Seat/Ski bag, Soon 2B chromed rims. Picked up in Munich, Drove it to Prague, Vienna, Salburg & Bremerhaven. Put on 1300 miles. Enjoyed driving it 140mph on Autobahn (4,400 rpm).

Originally Posted by BurgessMW' date='Apr 13 2005, 02:38 PM
[quote name='530E60NL' date='Apr 13 2005, 02:01 AM']and DVD playback!!!!!? ?
[snapback]114774[/snapback]
Would be sweet!

Friend of mine just took delivery of a STS Caddy. Has DVD playback as long as the car's stationary. It was kind of fun listening to him bragging about all his great features, of course I checked them all off like baseball cards, "got it, got it, got it..." Then he mentioned DVD playback.
[snapback]114987[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hec, I'm still tappin my toe with my arms crossed waiting for a retro-fit of Sat Radio Pre-wiring so I can get Sirius!!!! Please hurry up BMW!!!

SveaRike
Old 04-14-2005, 01:40 AM
Senior Members

If BMW employees really do read this site I hope they pass on some of views to their marketing department. It seems a lot of enthusiasts on here would love the opportunity to make their car more special by opting for items/colours from the BMW Individual range yet this has to be one of the worst examples of product marketing I have ever seen. The dealers don't know much about it, the literature isn't readily available, different markets get different options and the pricing structure isn't clear either. Why can't BMW AG sort this out once and for all. If you want an Audi in a different colour from the standard range it is straightforward to do and dealers are aware of the cost and method of doing this .

Also I hope they read the letters from owners published in the motoring magazines. There was a letter in last week's Autocar from a guy who was obviously talking about the cost of options in BMW's yet didn't mention the manufacturers name. I recognised it as being BMW straight away from the prices he was quoting for Bluetooth and SatNav. His point was why does Bluetooth cost ?535 for his car when you can buy a bluetooth adapter for a laptop for around ?10 and why does an in dash nav system cost ?1600 when a unit from Garmin etc can be bought for around ?400. I have to say I fully agree with his view that these options are grossly overpriced. Come on BMW.. play the game and lead the way by reducing their cost and promoting them as safety items.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Things like BT and Nav cost more than the aftermarket equivalents because with the BMW systems, they are fully integrated with the car.

I think the cost includes money to recoup the cost of the R&D, etc. to get things integrated. Look at how much integrated navigation costs on other cars. The prices are clearly higher than a Garmin that you plop onto the dashboard with a suction cup.

This is precisely the reason I waited so long to get Sirius from BMW. I knew I could get an aftermarket unit cheaper and right away but I was willing to wait and pay a premium for the integrated, more elegant solution. Also, don't forget that BT is now standard on the E60 (at least here in the US).

The scam, and all manufacturers do it, is when they sell you a Motorola V60i for $600 when all you need is an eject box and a couple wires to integrate it into the car.

Quick Reply: We know BMW is listening to us,