Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Oooh, not good...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releas...pr111404_1.pdf

See, all of us who don't like the E60 headrests weren't completely looney! (Recall the poll a while ago). They aren't comfortable AND they don't protect from whiplash in a rear end collision.
At least the Sport seats are better.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Nov 16 2004, 09:49 AM
http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releas...pr111404_1.pdf

See, all of us who don't like the E60 headrests weren't completely looney!? (Recall the poll a while ago).? They aren't comfortable AND they don't protect from whiplash in a rear end collision.
At least the Sport seats are better.
[snapback]56715[/snapback]
I notice that Comfort Seats don't get a mention - is this because they include Active Head Restraints (that's a question not a statement) ?
Old 11-16-2004, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Ok, just checked, Comfort Seats do include AHR, so it's really "just" the standard seats that don't do so well in that test - Sport and Comform do ok.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:39 AM
JDN
Contributors

Because of all of the criticism of not being able to use the Sport Seat head restraint for a head rest, I sat in mine the other day to see if it could be adjusted. Well, it can be adjusted as a head rest if you adjust the position of the seat and the seat back. First I adjusted the head rest so I could make contact with the head upright, then I adjusted the seat for a good driving position while maintaining the head rest in reasonable proximity to the back of my head.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

The key is that they're actually called "head restraints" and not "head rests."

Not to get into a fog light discussion here but in my opinion, you should never "rest" your head against the restraint while driving. Passengers? Well that's another story...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:04 AM
Members

What is the difference between the headrests on the sport seats and the base seats? I cannot see any major difference that could explain this result. Maybe they have mixed up the sport and comfort seats here, since the only seats with ARS are the comfort seats???
Old 11-16-2004, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by oreo' date='Nov 16 2004, 07:04 AM
What is the difference between the headrests on the sport seats and the base seats? I cannot see any major difference that could explain this result. Maybe they have mixed up the sport and comfort seats here, since the only seats with ARS are the comfort seats???
[snapback]56738[/snapback]
I agree with you. I don't see any difference between the headrests on the standard and sports seats. But then again, I only have seen the sport seats a couple of times...
Old 11-16-2004, 05:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Wiu-Bimmer' date='Nov 16 2004, 07:56 AM
[quote name='oreo' date='Nov 16 2004, 07:04 AM']What is the difference between the headrests on the sport seats and the base seats? I cannot see any major difference that could explain this result. Maybe they have mixed up the sport and comfort seats here, since the only seats with ARS are the comfort seats???
[snapback]56738[/snapback]
I agree with you. I don't see any difference between the headrests on the standard and sports seats. But then again, I only have seen the sport seats a couple of times...
[snapback]56748[/snapback]
[/quote]
My conjecture is that they activate and move to provide support in the event of an accident. I have the sport seats and I like them a lot. Now I like them even better because of this feature.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:09 AM
JDN
Contributors

The head rest on the 540 could be moved individually like the rest of the power seat adjustments. I would imagine the comfort seats are the same, but these Sport Seats are different from the E39 Sport Seats. I was a little disappointed in that, but am happy and comfortable in my Sport Seat. As Rudy suggested, I rarely use the head restraint as a rest except for short stretches on long drives. Now when I get in my Lazy Boy, that's a different matter altogether, but I never mistake my driver seat for my Lazy Boy.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I have the Comfort seat, and from the little time I spent with my car (ED 4 days), I didn't find a way to adjust the head restrain forward or backwards. However, together with the upper articulation and the clampable head pillow, I was able to fine tune a seat position that my head, neck and back shoulder can all make contact with the seat. It maybe dangerous, but I could rest all my upper body against the seat, and drive for hours without fatigue.

Quick Reply: Oooh, not good...