Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

The new Potenza RE050A Pole Position

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Just found this tyretest on tirerack.com

The brand new Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Postion
is giving the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 a hard time.

I might go for the new Pole Postions...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

I would have liked a picture.
I dunno for some reason i'm more attracted by Michelin. I don't trust Bridgestones too much, although i do respect them, for me it's the same thing, Firestone, Waterstones or whatever...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

The Eagle F1 GS-D3 produced the best ride quality with the Pilot Sport PS2 and Potenza RE050A Pole Position close behind.

That is the most important line in that review for me. I couldn't care less if the new Bridgestone is half a second quicker round a track, I won't be going round a track in my 535d, so I just want a great rod tyre and I think the GS-D3 is hard to beat.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='264146' date='Apr 3 2006, 12:53 PM
That is the most important line in that review for me. I couldn't care less if the new Bridgestone is half a second quicker round a track, I won't be going round a track in my 535d, so I just want a great rod tyre and I think the GS-D3 is hard to beat.
gIzzE, do you have the GS-D3's fitted to your car? I'm thinking about switching out the tires on mine and had all three of these tires on my shortlist, I was already leaning towards the Eagle F1 GD-D3's. If you have them I was hoping you could feed back on three things - the wet traction, their propensity to tramline (which is mainly why I'm thinking about switching out) and also the general improvement you noticed after switching out the RFT's. Any feedack you can provide would be appreciated.
Cheers
Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gIzzE' post='264146' date='Apr 3 2006, 03:53 PM
Interesting, My best frined just switched his PS2 for the GSD3 in his E39 M5. His review are less that favorable. He said you are getting what you paid for. The PS2 are far more agile, more responsive in wet and dry so he is going back to PS2s despite the last consumer reports.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='264162' date='Apr 3 2006, 01:33 PM
Interesting, My best frined just switched his PS2 for the GSD3 in his E39 M5. His review are less that favorable. He said you are getting what you paid for. The PS2 are far more agile, more responsive in wet and dry so he is going back to PS2s despite the last consumer reports.
I didn't think there was much difference in price between all these tires?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

I've gone through several iterations of Bridgestones on my sport-touring motorcycles and I have to say that for their prices, I'd much rather pay just a hair more for the premium (Pirelli, Metzler, Michelin) brands. I think they are B-team tires at A-minus prices (read: Huge markup).

They talk great technology, but it doesn't hold up. I've never considered them for my high-performance cars. :thumbsdown:

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 04-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='264256' date='Apr 4 2006, 02:54 AM
I've gone through several iterations of Bridgestones on my sport-touring motorcycles and I have to say that for their prices, I'd much rather pay just a hair more for the premium (Pirelli, Metzler, Michelin) brands. I think they are B-team tires at A-minus prices (read: Huge markup).

They talk great technology, but it doesn't hold up. I've never considered them for my high-performance cars. :thumbsdown:

Cheers,
Ray Hull
I would not compare MC tyres and car tires, Metzler's on a car , they are so different.

I got the same offer at ?950 for Bridgestones (non Pole Positions), Pirellis Zero's and ContiesSC2,
the size is 245/40 18".

The Michelins are probabaly a bit more expensive, I'll find out the price later.
GY is not on my list but I know they are a bit cheaper than the rest.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by swajames' post='264149' date='Apr 3 2006, 09:03 PM
gIzzE, do you have the GS-D3's fitted to your car? I'm thinking about switching out the tires on mine and had all three of these tires on my shortlist, I was already leaning towards the Eagle F1 GD-D3's. If you have them I was hoping you could feed back on three things - the wet traction, their propensity to tramline (which is mainly why I'm thinking about switching out) and also the general improvement you noticed after switching out the RFT's. Any feedack you can provide would be appreciated.
Cheers

No I don't, but I need to get rid of these runflates, had an M3 CS yesterday with the 19" CSL wheels on it and ContiSport contact 2's (which I hate) and the ride on that car made my luxury 5 series fell like a go kart!!

So I am on the hunt for tyres today. I don't know whether to get some 19" M5 reps and keep my style 135 wheels for when I sell it (approx cost ?850) , or get some OEM wheels and sell the style 135 wheels to claw some money back (approx cost ?800), or just keep the wheels I have and get new tyres (approx cost ?600).

Only problem with the OEM wheels is they come with Conti SC2's.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Don Juan' post='264162' date='Apr 3 2006, 04:33 PM

I wonder how accurate your friend's analysis was. It's often hard to get an accurate picture of a tire when it's still brand new. Also, your friend was no doubt used to near-slicks since his old tires were likely well-worn when he swapped them. Turn in on Michelins are often very crisp due to the unforgiving sidewalls. This often tricks drivers into thinking the car is somehow more capable. Like you, I've run Toyo tires, after Pilot Sports in fact. After getting used to the softer turn in, it was evident that the absolute grip and the capabilities of my old car were much higher with my T1-Ss. Car and Driver's latest tire test was conducted at the Tire Rack test track on an E90. The GS-D3 positively obliterated all comers - getting 1st place. It had the absolute best wet handling - .82g. That's the same skidpad results for a non-sport E60 in the DRY on the Conti tires.

The PS2s got a lowly 4th place. The T1-R was in 8th place. The RE050A was in NINTH (9th) place.

"In two wet tests, the autocross and the skidpad, it placed third. Those were its highest finishes, and for the most part, this tire didn't shine in any one area."

I have no idea what makes the "Pole Position" model any different (actually I think it's the same tire that was tested by Car and Driver), but I wouldn't buy it. The treadwear is 140 - the GS-D3 is 280. Double.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/10252...ead-page13.html

Quick Reply: The new Potenza RE050A Pole Position