Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW and Hyundai compared at the same level?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:54 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

This article recently appeared on MSN:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/artic...mentid=1164870
Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

They can be as long as we're talking about modes of transportation. Same as you can compare the best Air Jordans or top of the line New Balance running shoes to Payless shoes - they are both shoes, just in different leagues
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i dunno i had a hyandi for 6 years beat the shit outta it and it never gave me one expense bill for a repair. thats qality if u ask me
Old 01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
i dunno i had a hyandi for 6 years beat the shit outta it and it never gave me one expense bill for a repair. thats qality if u ask me
Car & Driver did a review of the Hyundai Genesis and had this to say:

"Beware of any automotive pundit who tells you this Genesis is superior to a BMW 5-series, but keep in mind that it does provide plenty of features and ability for five figures less than a base 535i."

Read the whole article here:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad_test_update
Old 01-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jayarras
Car & Driver did a review of the Hyundai Genesis and had this to say:

"Beware of any automotive pundit who tells you this Genesis is superior to a BMW 5-series, but keep in mind that it does provide plenty of features and ability for five figures less than a base 535i."

Read the whole article here:
http://www.caranddri...oad_test_update
Do you suppose if you were able to invest a couple thousand dollars in suspension, wheel, and tire upgrades the differences would narrow even further? Or would you just have a reliable, comfortable, roomy, sedan with lots of easy to use features and technology?

Remember, this C&D update was written after auto magazine staff [they are about as kind to cars as bull fighters are to bulls!] beat the 2009 Genesis for 40,000 miles. Anyone out there want to talk about their e60s that had been subjected to that abuse
Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Hyundai has made it known that they have vehicles planned to target the BMW 3-series and the Lexus RX. Depending on the sales result of the Genesis and Equus, they may spin-off luxo competitors under the Genesis brand.

Car magazines have touted various FWD vehicles as 3-series competitors. I don't see how FWD dynamics can be the same or superior to the RWD driving experience. The phrase "3-series" means very different things to those who have driven a BMW and those who have not. Does it means price, features, technology, interior room, driving experience, ownership experience, manufacturer standard and extended warranties, etc? If Hyundai offers their 100,000-mile/10-year warranty for their hybrid vehicles, combined with any available federal and state financial incentives, they makes a compelling case for a commuter vehicle, in order to keep one's toy(s) safe in the garage.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vkhong
Hyundai has made it known that they have vehicles planned to target the BMW 3-series and the Lexus RX. Depending on the sales result of the Genesis and Equus, they may spin-off luxo competitors under the Genesis brand.

Car magazines have touted various FWD vehicles as 3-series competitors. I don't see how FWD dynamics can be the same or superior to the RWD driving experience. The phrase "3-series" means very different things to those who have driven a BMW and those who have not. Does it means price, features, technology, interior room, driving experience, ownership experience, manufacturer standard and extended warranties, etc? If Hyundai offers their 100,000-mile/10-year warranty for their hybrid vehicles, combined with any available federal and state financial incentives, they makes a compelling case for a commuter vehicle, in order to keep one's toy(s) safe in the garage.
The Hyundai Genesis are RWD models . . .
Old 01-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

The more we reject the reality that our cars are now being comparable to hyundai's; the more bmw will keep lagging being innovation.

Lets face it guys our cars are not very reliable, most folks on here sell there 5 once warranty runs out. For the premium prices we pay - everything should be top notch. The 5 doesn't seem like a car for long keeps unless its in the hands of someone willing to constantly maintain/repair it. Maintenance isn't even that big of an issue or expensive, its the constant repairs... two different things.

I would not get a hyundai, ever. Besides maybe reliability theres not much else to their name. I'd rather go with lexus or honda. BMW better start realizing the competition nowadays is getting tougher... staking everything on their luxury "brand name" alone aint gonna cut it. Either ways, there will be people (like us lol) who will more than likely remain loyal to BMW but as things looks... i may have to go with Mercedes for my next purchase.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The article posted in the OP didn't actually make any kind of comparison between the brands...

It was simply reporting, quite correctly, that the F10 and the 2011 Sonata had both received five stars - and were the only cars to do so in the first batch of cars tested - in the new for the 2011 model year revised crash tests...
Old 01-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

Originally Posted by swajames
The article posted in the OP didn't actually make any kind of comparison between the brands...

It was simply reporting, quite correctly, that the F10 and the 2011 Sonata had both received five stars - and were the only cars to do so in the first batch of cars tested - in the new for the 2011 model year revised crash tests...
To be honest, i didnt even read the article hahah...

however, since the topic was about bmw and hyundai i felt it was somewhat relevant to address the subject of "innovation." Hyundai improved milestones from their past in such short time - if BMW had such drastic improvements it would be amazing to see what they could produce!

Quick Reply: BMW and Hyundai compared at the same level?