Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Least Reliable Cars? The 5 series?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i silver

Hi Folks,

I have been a Japanese car buyer for as long as I can remember, Subaru, Toyota, Honda, I made the Jump and Ordered a 545i. Am I in for a lot of trouble?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-1...iable-cars.htm

The link above seems to predict that I have one of the least reliable cars.
:'(
Old 11-09-2004, 05:25 AM
Members

i felt the same way, take a chance and hope for the best all european cars are not too reliable these days.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

If You look that list left side midlle class cars and right real cars which are sold less in numbers and more demanding customers. Also right side cars, in generally, have more gadgeds.

I have to say that something BMW has made right because it has got "Marque of marques" award in Finland. Maybe we have better luck?

Skaffa
Old 11-09-2004, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kryptokat' date='Nov 9 2004, 07:21 AM
I made the Jump and Ordered a 545i. Am I in for a lot of trouble?
[snapback]54118[/snapback]
I have three hondas and always reliable.
Most of the first year E60 problems seem to be "first year jitters". The software has been updated regularly due to many small bugs.

For MY '05, you should be fine.

The members that rave about their cars are the 545 owners.

Happy driving.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:09 AM

Well. I don't know. Lexus has done a good job of being upscale with gadgets and being in the left column....

I too was a Japanese car driver and have concerns. After being in the shop for 2 weeks out of my first 3 weeks of ownership, I think I have a right to be pissed. I don't think I would have bought a BMW if it wasn't for lemon laws.

If only the Japanese could bring decent cars to the US. Imagine if Lexus got some balls in the styling and driving department....
Old 11-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 9 2004, 09:09 AM
Well. I don't know. Lexus has done a good job of being upscale with gadgets and being in the left column....

I too was a Japanese car driver and have concerns. After being in the shop for 2 weeks out of my first 3 weeks of ownership, I think I have a right to be pissed. I don't think I would have bought a BMW if it wasn't for lemon laws.

If only the Japanese could bring decent cars to the US. Imagine if Lexus got some balls in the styling and driving department....
[snapback]54130[/snapback]
That was me - not signed in. Mine is an 05
Old 11-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Nov 9 2004, 06:10 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Nov 9 2004, 09:09 AM']Well. I don't know. Lexus has done a good job of being upscale with gadgets and being in the left column....

[snapback]54130[/snapback]
That was me - not signed in. Mine is an 05
[snapback]54131[/snapback]
[/quote]

Lexus..... I was talking about real cars .

I have to say that I can't understand how much bad PR-BMW has got from US markets. And only because dealers are not capable handling these SW issues.

Skaffa

PS There been some in Europe also.

Same
Old 11-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

Why is Pontiac Grand Prix on the riliable side and also on the unrelible side? or is different trims they are comparing?

Edit: sorry didnt see the supercharge under it.

I had a 99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Supercharge) after a year the heads up display on it failed, the car ignition wouldnt start, had to replace that 3 times, and something was wrong with the transmision. I was only 21 at the time and GTP was a car to get at that age, i guess what i am trying to say after that even my E60 problems are not as bad as those.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:04 AM

I have both a Lexus RX330 and 545i and have had no problems with either of them so far. There was one recall on the 545i (attach a fuel line clip) and that's it -- no other problems. I have read about many other problems on this e60 board, including transmission problems, problems with iDrive software, problems with run-flats (which are not warranted by BMW), etc., but I guess I've been lucky since I have not had any of them.
Old 11-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

if you want a reliable car, honda, toyota, lexus, etc., is the way to go . but if you want a "ultimate driving machine" that captures your heart and soul, no other choice .

Quick Reply: Least Reliable Cars? The 5 series?