5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Press Articles & Your Comments (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/)
-   -   Jaguar XF Supercharged Bests 550i Sport (https://5series.net/forums/press-articles-your-comments-6/jaguar-xf-supercharged-bests-550i-sport-54866/)

tachyon 05-12-2008 03:15 PM

From Edmunds ...

2nd Place: BMW 550i
Losing by 11 points to the Jaguar XF makes it look like the BMW's better years are behind it. Don't believe it. The 550i is still one of the best built, sharpest-handling sedans on the road today. But there are aspects of the 550i that could use an upgrade, and given that the Jaguar costs less and offers more both on the track and off, the 5 Series couldn't keep up.

It's still near the top of its class when it comes to performance, as the 550i beats the Jaguar from zero to 60 mph, but then it falls behind by the end of the quarter-mile. Its sport suspension with active roll stabilization delivers the best number on the skid pad of this group (0.89g), but the same setup makes this car hard to get through the slalom cones, leaving it slower than the Jaguar by nearly 2 mph. The BMW's 111-foot stop from 60 mph is the second shortest of the group after the XF.

On the street, the 550i is still the sedan to have when the road is right. It delivers better road feel than the XF and the brakes are easier to modulate. The roll stabilization system takes some getting used to, but ultimately it makes for a highly predictable chassis when you're having fun. Of all the sedans in the test, the 550i is the one that will make you feel like a better driver.

It's on less challenging roads where the BMW loses some of its luster. The suspension isn't rock hard, but there are times when you wish for softer bushings to take the edge off rough highways. This compromise is barely noticeable at first, but then you get into the XF and realize how supple the Jaguar feels over the same roads. No doubt the BMW's 19-inch wheels and tires contributed to its stiff-legged performance, but it's no excuse, since the XF wears even larger 20-inch tires.

The 550i fell further behind the Jaguar the more time we spent behind the wheel of the two cars. BMWs have never had the cheeriest of cabins, but the XF makes the 550i's cabin look especially sullen. Sure, the BMW offers very legible gauges and good-quality materials ? not to mention minimal clutter thanks to iDrive ? but for $70K this car is still a little plain. With more interesting colors and fewer options to keep the price down, the 550i would have finished closer to the XF.

Also consider this. The 2008 BMW 550i is the top pick when it comes to the personal choice made by our editors. Some of this popularity can be chalked up to its manual transmission, a rarity when it comes to V8-powered sedans. It's not the whole story, though, as the 550i is simply a formidable sport sedan, a real driver's car despite its uninspiring interior furnishings. If you can afford the premium and the Jaguar still looks soft to you, the BMW 550i is one of the best of this dying breed.

westcoast550 05-12-2008 04:13 PM

..............ha ha !! I wouldn't change :P I love the way the 550 pulls at any speed, and the handling is superb. Creature comforts are more than adequate , get a Lexus if you want plush................

EBMCS03 05-12-2008 10:17 PM

Competition is getting better... No more E39 days where BMW was just king... no on else came close.

poleposition 05-13-2008 05:55 AM

But the Jag is Fugly

JetBlack5OC 05-13-2008 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='579400' date='May 13 2008, 06:55 AM
But the Jag is Fugly

I wouldn't exactly say its ugly. But it doesn't exactly make me say "wow" like the pre-production XF did.

The first thing that comes to mind is "bland". A huge let-down.

I would say the interior is ugly though. It looks like is was designed in the 80's to be futuristic. Not to mention is looks like a Lincoln Navigator interior.