Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Introducing Traffic, Directions and Weather

Old 08-20-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else get a brochure from BMW Assist? What a crock of @#$#. Use your sos button to call for these items is $4.95 a call?

I would pay a monthly fee if this was embedded in our Navigation systems on a real time basis (just like in airplanes). If I want to know this, I can call my secretary and have her look it up...

James
Old 08-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Members

I received this today, but since I am moving I haven't had the time to look at it yet. But if that is the case, then that s*cks.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributors

So TMC data are not included in the RDS broadcast in the US?

RDS-TMC sends live, real-time traffic information to the satellite navigation system - automatically, 24 hours a day. Information is sent via an FM radio signal that can be received even if the car radio is switched off. This? constant? supply of traffic? information enables the satellite navigation system to give the driver advanced warning of congestion and traffic problems ahead. More importantly, because traffic information is integrated directly into the satellite navigation system, the driver is automatically given the unique option to take an alternative route to avoid the problem ahead - dynamic route guidance, at the touch of a button.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributors

Not that I know of. Someone else (in the US) mentioned that they have traffic as an option in their config menu, but I can't get the update to let me have the information. Must be on a location by location basis.

James
Old 08-20-2004, 10:45 AM

The new services are only available through a phone call, not through the SOS button. I just had BMW assist activated on my car yesterday and I called Customer Service through the iDrive and she said you can only get Roadside Assistance and Emergency service through BMW Assist in car.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Wierd, because the brochure says differently. Here's a pdf that has information on the new services. It's different than the one I received in the mail, but does talk about them...

James
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BMWAssist.pdf (255.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 08-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Right, it says "Concierge Need help buying concert tickets, making
dinner reservations, or finding the perfect gift? Your
personal assistant can solve these and many other
challenges, just by dialing 800-233-8896 toll-free from
any phone, any time."

I thought it would be available either way, but they said you have to call the 800 number.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

I spoke to BMW assist yesterday through the SOS button to set up the system for the first time and I asked about this feature and was told by the rep that you can use that service even by calling from the SOS button.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Members

Looks like there is some confusion then, the rep I got through the iDrive customer service said land line or cell phone only.
Old 08-20-2004, 05:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i

I got it yesterday.
I cannot understand BMW's attitude to valuable customers like us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Introducing Traffic, Directions and Weather