Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

An interesting read from the LA Times

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by idesigner' date='Oct 19 2005, 12:52 PM
How Can I make ignition key in 1 position with comfort access?
I wonder..
with comfort access there is no key hole right??
Plug the key in the slot... even with Comfort asscess you will have a key slot. you'll need to use the key slot once in a while to charge up the key.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dgjk' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:42 PM
I have one comment to the cost of repairs -WHO CARES - the most important thing is passenger safety - for my family.? My wife drives a Ford Excursion - needs the space for the kids (6 of em) - and she considered getting another car - to save on gas.? My response was who cares about gas - I want my family traveling around in 8500 lbs of steel.? (Or a BMW if they decide to make one that can carry 8 people and luggage)
[snapback]186344[/snapback]
The underlying question is BMW purposely designing their cars to be more costly to repair. I unfortunately think the answer may be yes. I am a victim of scratching the bumber and having to shell out $1200 (didn't want to use insurance) because the way it is designed. You can't really repair it, you can only replace it. This is a new way to increase profits and we will all pay in the long run.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:04 PM
[quote name='dgjk' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:42 PM']I have one comment to the cost of repairs -WHO CARES - the most important thing is passenger safety - for my family.? My wife drives a Ford Excursion - needs the space for the kids (6 of em) - and she considered getting another car - to save on gas.? My response was who cares about gas - I want my family traveling around in 8500 lbs of steel.? (Or a BMW if they decide to make one that can carry 8 people and luggage)
The underlying question is BMW purposely designing their cars to be more costly to repair. I unfortunately think the answer may be yes. I am a victim of scratching the bumber and having to shell out $1200 (didn't want to use insurance) because the way it is designed. You can't really repair it, you can only replace it. This is a new way to increase profits and we will all pay in the long run.
[snapback]186361[/snapback]
[/quote]I don't think so. I think BMW really is trying to produce the "ultimate driving experience" in each of its classes subject to some basic cost considerations. Producing these results requires use of much hi-tech--which is bound to be both costly and costly to repair. For example, consider the cost to repair plasma TVs and laptop computers--two of the things (maybe the only 2 things) that Consumer Reports recommends extended warranties on.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Rover has always had aluminium skin plates in Landy and Range Rover. Audi have all aluminium cars and if You think expensive car to repair take Aston! Hand made panels!

If You want premium, You pay premium.

Iceman, have You looked under Your car after one (or two) winter? I just mean what that salt make to aluminium and specially joints between steel and aluminium? They use huge amount of salt when it's snowing in central Europe!

Skaffa
Old 10-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 19 2005, 07:27 PM
[quote name='redondoman' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:04 PM'][quote name='dgjk' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:42 PM']I have one comment to the cost of repairs -WHO CARES - the most important thing is passenger safety - for my family.? My wife drives a Ford Excursion - needs the space for the kids (6 of em) - and she considered getting another car - to save on gas.? My response was who cares about gas - I want my family traveling around in 8500 lbs of steel.? (Or a BMW if they decide to make one that can carry 8 people and luggage)
[/quote]I don't think so. I think BMW really is trying to produce the "ultimate driving experience" in each of its classes subject to some basic cost considerations. Producing these results requires use of much hi-tech--which is bound to be both costly and costly to repair. For example, consider the cost to repair plasma TVs and laptop computers--two of the things (maybe the only 2 things) that Consumer Reports recommends extended warranties on.
[snapback]186368[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have to agree with donv on this point.

There is absolutely no way that BMW (or any other manufacturer) will design/build/manufacture a car based on cost of repairs.

Doing so would be as disasterous as Ford placing the gas tank strategically in the rear of the Pinto because it was cheaper to produce, even though it was more dangerous. Ford ran the cost-benefit analysis and decided it was worth the increased risk to human life just to save a $$.

Can you imagine the fallout if BMW decided to use a design or certain type(s) of material that would be cheaper to repair but decrease the crashworthiness of the car??
Old 10-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Oct 19 2005, 10:45 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 19 2005, 07:27 PM'][quote name='redondoman' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:04 PM'][quote name='dgjk' date='Oct 19 2005, 05:42 PM']I have one comment to the cost of repairs -WHO CARES - the most important thing is passenger safety - for my family.? My wife drives a Ford Excursion - needs the space for the kids (6 of em) - and she considered getting another car - to save on gas.? My response was who cares about gas - I want my family traveling around in 8500 lbs of steel.? (Or a BMW if they decide to make one that can carry 8 people and luggage)
[snapback]186368[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have to agree with donv on this point.

There is absolutely no way that BMW (or any other manufacturer) will design/build/manufacture a car based on cost of repairs.

Doing so would be as disasterous as Ford placing the gas tank strategically in the rear of the Pinto because it was cheaper to produce, even though it was more dangerous. Ford ran the cost-benefit analysis and decided it was worth the increased risk to human life just to save a $$.

Can you imagine the fallout if BMW decided to use a design or certain type(s) of material that would be cheaper to repair but decrease the crashworthiness of the car??
[snapback]186395[/snapback]
[/quote]Right on bro.