Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Interesting read about the future direction of the M division

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Found this little tidbit of information about the future direction of the M division. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88597

Since Herr Reithofer's escalation to the top of BMW he has re-evaluated all decisions made under the previous manager mainly to keep focus on a strong and independent BMW Group which is what the ruling shareholders demand in the long term .

Re-evaluating the future Z4 was something that was completed when they analyzed sales figures from rivals to see what can stem such losses in the future. It's no secret that BMW want to expand the 1er product line to cater for the lower end of the premium market although since it's introduction in September 2004 over 200,000 have been sold not bad for a new product line from scratch. Critics might give their point that it is outsold by the Audi A3 and Mercedes-Benz A-klasse but these are second generation models they have had the established period they are also offered in 2 variants . The 1er is just until now a 5dr hatchback. An entry roadster would help fill the gap underneath the Z4 Given the transition of the Z4 to directly face the SLK .

Another item on the agenda was the subservant bowing to market requirements that are not necessary - ne the decision to transplant a manual gearbox from the 550i into the M5 Which is a total mismatch and compromises the attraction and the marketing which elaborates a great deal about the SMG Gearbox. This is why BMW have no plans to offer a manual gearbox for the M5 in Europe or therefore offer the M5 Touring in the USA.

The appearance of the M5 touring does offer one thing though...
There will be an M3 Touring.
When we introduce an M car we always create a talking point in the overall marketing for instance with the M5 - The V10 engine , 7-Speed SMG and M drive. With the M6 we focused on the Carbon fibre roof.

With the new M3 M Dynamics will feature as the technology that connects the car to BMW's Motorsport programme also the M3 will feature more response that any other M car because of the use of Flex Ray technology as introduced into the new X5.
The proposition of an X6 coupe fullfills the AWD potential of the M-brand furthermore than the X5 could - X5 as M does not fullfill the criteria expected for M. BMW -M always have insisted that the four wheel drive vehicle that would inherit M-badging would be a vehicle that inherits the key criteria of the brand - performance, weight and superior dynamics and incase of the X6 a dynamic looking sportbased coupe will appeal to the M ideals of representation than a full size SUV like the X5.

Of course the ideas that concern the M-version are just that at the moment with the actual X6 launching in mid-late 2008 an M-variant would not see introduction till at least late 2009 or early 2010 probably using the next incarnation of BMW's V10 with a higher output than today's V10 which will also arrive in the next generation of M5 and M6.

The ZSG was hopefully meant to begin with the new M3 but BMW have not been happy with some areas of development so are still working hard to perfect it to their requirements.
The 5er will be out in 2010 the beginning of the next decade even.
So the detail will reflect this just as the detail of the E60 reflected this decade . Some details will remain such as the agressive looking front end the front lights will be more slimmer but still have that angular look inbetween them the kidney grille will become a little wider and less curved than todays car.

The rear end carries over with split lamps a shape similar to todays car wraps around the rear wings and connects the swage line which is more of a ledge than a flat surface than todays car . The licence plate is relocated to the rear bumper while a prominent BMW logo takes place in the centre of the bootlid.
Just as today's 5er is technologically advanced the next one will inherit some options that you will see first in the next 7er such as BMW's Connected Drive and Autopark functions.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup interesting read...
Old 01-26-2007, 05:19 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting!!

Thanks Vegas
Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW-Alpina B5 Touring #007, Malachite Green w/ Caramel Individual interior 1999 BMW 840Ci Sport Individual, Techno Violet w/ Champagne Individual interior

Very interesting and most of it makes sense - it also reconfirms that there won't be an X5M, which is why Alpina's building an X5 variant!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

What I want to know is if M cars will continue its current overweight trend.

Prior to the e46, M3's were almost as light as Porsche 911's, which made them a lot more fun. Today, they're almost as heavy as an E60.

What he said about the new M3 doesn't really excite me. He's saying the electronics will respond faster due to Flex Ray. Of all the things he could highlight about the new M3, he chose Flex Ray??? That's great if it can change suspension settings or iDrive menus faster now, but how will the car actually feel to drive? Will it be fun?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I believe, but do not know for sure, that flex ray will allow very tight coupling in the sensors such as yaw and pitch for the DSC to improve drive and suspension dynamics. Sensors will be even still smaller and of greater density and capability and need greater bandwidth/speed. I also expect improvements in the entertainment/navigation connectivity due to flex ray so that there will be no more of this "if you have one device you cannot have another" that we sometimes get now. All this is somewhat conjecture on my part but based on some more generalized readings not specific to M3.