Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

First test on the Alpina B5

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 06:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 330i Sport & E46 323Ci

This was just posted on Bimmerfest:

Link to Alpina B5 test

It appears that it is about the same in quickness as the M5?
I'll leave you guys to decide that.....

R.R.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

it's unique but i still like the m5 better .
Old 12-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Senior Members

Close but not quite, and the resale will be quite a bit less than the M5. Why not wait for the M5??
Old 12-08-2004, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Nice!
500 HP on a V8 and faster than the M5. Not bad.
You can shift the steptronic on the steeringwheel and it will also be available as a touring model.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
Members

Those specs aren't bad at all. Not sure I like the way the shift knobs are on the steering wheel but it might be OK. From the sounds of the article though, this baby might actually have better low end torque than the M5 (I can't remeber the M5 specs exactly) -- the guy even mentions that you don't need anything like "Launch Control" to get this thing going into hyper-acceleration mode

I don't know, this could be a tossup between M5 and B5 unless of course you really want to hear the F1 sound from the V10 (it is a sweet sound indeed )
Old 12-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

I am happy for all of you. But for those of us that are Deutsche deficient, gibt es eine Verbindung zum Bericht auf englisch? Danke.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 8 2004, 06:51 PM
I am happy for all of you.? But for those of us that are Deutsche deficient,? gibt es eine Verbindung zum Bericht auf englisch?? Danke.
[snapback]66777[/snapback]
I used one of those "free" translators on the web. While the translation isn't overly impressive I think it'll get the message across.

Here's the translation:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>---------------------------------------</span>
Where are they actually still, the small manufacturers, that made it it's duty to prepare series products for the special taste? Over the achievement they can hardly still form themselves in view of the PSHeroen, which one can today already buy ex factory. Alpina in book RST, the producer of particularly tasted BMWS probably most renowned, found the own prescription. The new B5, which comes in the next year as sedan and as Touring on the market, schnueffelt with 500 HP at the smell mark, which the M5 set, avails itself however of completely different technology. Under the hood no highly turning ten-cylinder sits, but the well-known V8 with 4,4 litres capacity. It is exactly the same machine as in the larger B7 from the filter he series. In front left in the engine compartment the secret of their strength visibly becomes: a radial compressor so mentioned, which is propelled like a conventional compressor over a belt by the crankshaft. On the print page the interior life looks as with a turbocharger: a small turbine, which carries the intake air first by an enormous Ladehiftkuehler, where their temperature is lowered over up to 70 degrees. Subsequently, it - with 0,8 bar positive pressure - arrives into the cylinders. Steered by a load air automatic controller, with which one may associate a butterfly valve before the loader, the engine runs in the partial load range as Sauger. That is to make favorable values consumed possible, because the compressor under these conditions needs only little drive power. With open flap then 500 HP come off when only 5500 revolutions, in addition a true Drehmomcntgcbirge. With scarce over 4000/min the curve reaches a high plateau, which extends to beyond 5000/min. The cut off summit of the mountain suggests that still more than the required 700 Newtonmeters could be. But engine electronics must take consideration on the remainder of the drive strand. That consists of a conventional transducer mechanism with six drive positions, which one can leave oneself alternatively completely comfortably or switch also in the steering wheel attached keys manually. A clear contrast program for the BMW M5, that over a sequenzielles filter gearbox orders also here.

The rating of the loaded eight-cylinder is, like it already the technical data suggest, a steam hammer. With full power it tears the new Alpina in a way forward that the drive slip regulation has to do all hands fully. The 4.7 seconds of zero on 100, indicated by the manufacturer, km/h appear quite conservative in view of the elemental power, particularly since that obtained approximately 250 kilograms heavier Alpina B7 in the car engine and sport test already 4.8 seconds. However. More importantly than a few tenths is the fact that the Beschleunigungsorgie without tricks can be celebrated like an activating of a Launch control: Gas give been sufficient. The pressure in the back does not diminish also within the upper speed range considerably. Even above 200 km/h full power still another powerful thrust provokes. And if a M5, because with 250 km/h electronically abgeregelt, which must paint sails, the Alpina puts still further coals on the fire. When conclusion is final, remains at present open. The B7 reached a maximum speed of 311 on the high-speed course in the southItalian Nardo (see to number 24/ 2004) km/h. The B5 could be faster owing to its smaller front surface still another little. But the internal discussion with Alpina, whether with 300 km/h an electronic conclusion conclusion is to be drawn not nevertheless, still is under way. Once apart from its piercing force development the B5 a completely civilian car, with the Herumkurven in the city, is lamb pious with very cultivated 600/min-Leerlauf and high quiet running. Only under full load the eight-cylinder announces itself to word, without however ever becoming before loud. The achievement unfolds in all other respects perfectly continuously. No delay in the structure of the load pressure, no sudden achievement explosion, if the radial compressor comes on routes. The certainly not new comparison with a turbine, here he forces himself upon formally. The six-course mechanism contributes considerably to the feeling, not in a sports car to sit but in a comfort sedan. It reacted very fast to gas instructions and changes the drive positions also with full acceleration with high suppleness. The manual operation is recommended only for very much engaged driving fashion on winding distances. Save or to the gasoline. Alpina boss Burkard Bovensiepen, who is pleased about each zehntelliter not wasted, uses the key circuit also in city traffic, because he can be more frequent thereby in the sixth gear on the way, as if he leaves himself the mechanism. Exaltierte sportyness is not Bovensiepens thing. The tuning of the chassis remains therefore on the comfortable side. Despite the sumptuous tyre the B5 swallows bumps cleanly away. In fast curves it shows reserves, which can hardly be plumbed on public roads - and with its low-friction and accurate steering element a very good handling. That by the B5, which will celebrate its official premiere on that Geneva salon in March the cloth was pulled already now, has naturally its reason. Perhaps or other M5-Interessent comes nevertheless into the Gruebeln. By the price it will not have to make its decision dependent. That is to lie on M5-Niveau.
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>---------------------------------------</span>

I must say this translation makes me cringe, but hey, it's free, right
Old 12-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributors

I wanna see more pics of the rear lip spoiler.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Thank you so much for the translate.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Members

My Ride: E90 330i Sport & E46 323Ci

Originally Posted by RH530' date='Dec 8 2004, 07:49 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Dec 8 2004, 06:51 PM']I am happy for all of you.?? But for those of us that are Deutsche deficient,? gibt es eine Verbindung zum Bericht auf englisch?? Danke.
[snapback]66777[/snapback]
I used one of those "free" translators on the web. While the translation isn't overly impressive I think it'll get the message across.

I must say this translation makes me cringe, but hey, it's free, right
[snapback]66782[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yeah, especially the part about how the B5 has : "500 HP at the smell mark, which the M5 set".