Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

530E60NL

So the car failed in EuroNcap big time.
if the autocar report (anyone in the UK got a copy the can scan in?) is true the E60 did NOT fail, it just got overall 3stars which obviously would shock BMW as all their other current models are 4/5stars.

that would explain why they would wish to retest the car, again IF the autocar report is true....if...
Old 09-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If it helps, here is the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's test.

And here is the summary chart comparing the cars in this class.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:06 AM
Members

I would still keep the car. Even with bad test results. I cant help to look at the the front end of my car and its always smiling at me
Old 09-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Senior Members

another example of manufacturers re-testing a model to gain a better rating is Renault with their new "modus" taken from the Euro NCAP site:

The Modus made test history as the first supermini sized car to gain a full five-star safety rating. It achieved this after Euro NCAP allowed a re-run of the frontal test, following improvements to the driver?s airbag.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:13 AM
Senior Members

rudy, thanks for that...interesting.

i didn't look for any crash test reports when i bought the E60 so even if they only get an average rating in EURO-land it would not have affected my choice of car, otherwise i'd only have ever bought volvo or the new renaults
Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I agree with you northernmonkey. I should nuance the testscore a little.. I hope we'll find out why the last 1 or 2 stars weren't given..
Old 09-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

once the final report is published i believe the results will be what we expect i.e GOOD

I think BMW from the start designed the E60 to achieve 5-start requirements for NCAP by including things like, 8 airbags as standard, the tyre puncture warning system PLUS runflats on most wheels all of this in addition to DSC, DTC as standard.

All of these go toward meeting the minimum requirements of a five-star Euro NCAP crash test rating so I guess anything less would have clearly raised eyebrows at BMW AG.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

When I bought the car, safety was my no.2 reason behind performance. I have 2 young kids that I will be carrying. I did not get rear side airbags because of the child seat.

Needless to say, poor safety ranking (if indeed true) would be a sore to my purchase decision, but even that, I still would of chosen the E60 after all.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Sep 21 2004, 01:56 PM
I did not get rear side airbags because of the child seat.
I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about rear side airbags. If your child is properly seated in a car seat, the rear airbag won't cause any problems.

The biggest issue with rear airbags is when kids sleep or otherwise rest against the door. In those cases, they can be injured by the inflation of the bag...
Old 09-21-2004, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Sep 21 2004, 04:53 PM
[quote name='speedracerF4i' date='Sep 21 2004, 01:56 PM']I did not get rear side airbags because of the child seat.
I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions about rear side airbags. If your child is properly seated in a car seat, the rear airbag won't cause any problems.

The biggest issue with rear airbags is when kids sleep or otherwise rest against the door. In those cases, they can be injured by the inflation of the bag...
[snapback]36762[/snapback]
[/quote]

Really??

My sales rep even installed my child seat in the back of an 530i and showed me the air bag deploitment zone with his hands. The seat bolster of the child seat seems to block the side airbags a bit. That's why he did not recommend that I buy the rear airbag option.

It was only like $350 and seems like a good safety insurance if you have kids riding in the back. Well, too late to add that now.

Quick Reply: EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60