Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

this weeks Autocar apparently carries a brief report that states BMW have hit problems carrying out the EURO NCAP crash tests. The report suggests that the initial tests would have awarded the E60 a poor 3 star rating which would be a disaster for a car like the BMW 5-series with a reputation for best in class safety.

Autocar's source suggests that the problem was supposed to be structural rather than a minor problem. The magazine go on to say that BMW will publish NO results as yet and intend to retake the tests ASAP when they expect to get a five star rating!

I am no expert in these crash tests, but how is a manufacturer allowed to retake the tests with a car that is already on our roads? Surely the design of the car is fixed and BMW cannot be allowed to improve its safety without notifying existing owners? I mean they could well get 5stars on a retest, GREAT, but what about all existing E60's? does that mean our cars are potentially not as safe?

....I know some of the rating is given for the cars ability to not injure pedestrians as much etc etc, which, being selfish would not detract from the safety of the occupants but still....
Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

How is that test different from the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) test in the USA. In that test, basically every BMW model receives the highest marks possible.

-MrB
Old 09-21-2004, 07:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Good questions, and I would also be curious how the European tests differ from the ones in the US, where the 5 has earned the highest rating, at least in the off center frontal crash test.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

All tests that I've heard about, the 5series was one of the best.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

well I'm just quoting Autocar's report so it could all be a load of b****x but as yet there is no listing for the E60 HERE so it will be interesting to see when the E60 is rated.

Ps: also go HERE for an explanation of the testing process
Old 09-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

If the E60 only gets a 3 star for safety I am out of this car immediately. Not saying that the american tests are wrong but I find it strange that there would be such a difference. I've bought this car because of it's safety feature and its size wich should give me an advantage in an accident.

I hope that the things mentioned above are just rumours and will not be true, but if it is.. it's bye bye for my car..
Old 09-21-2004, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

530E60NL....remember that the star rating does not tell the whole story (if true) we need to see the full report first, when it is eventually published.

read the FAQ on the EuroNcap site HERE should put you at ease. as you can see, low star numbers does not always mean bad news.

also remember Autocar are not always BMW friendly

this post was not meant to frighten E60 owners....I just wondered if anyone else had heard anything else about these tests.

personally speaking I am not too concerned as the tests are good but in reality they are controlled tests and in the real world i think they would not make me feel any safer. I prefer to just concentrate on driving safe!
Old 09-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I agree with you. But the tests do say something about the overall safety in an heavy accident. I'm very glad that I survived my accident in my old car, an accident wich was never tested by the EuroNcap.
Accidents can happen and if it is not your fault and someone else hits in you and you get out of the car in a wheelchair I would always be thinking.. what if I had bought a safer car. That's the general idea for me behind it.

Anyway. I hope something went wrong with the tests or was wrong with the car they tested and hope to hear better news about it.

btw. I found this on the page northernmonkey showed me too..
The pedestrianrating is NOT lowering the score.. So the car failed in EuroNcap big time.

website euroncap text:
Why don?t you take account of the marks for pedestrian protection when you calculate the overall star rating?
Euro NCAP aims to encourage manufacturers to start designing for pedestrian protection. It was felt that having a separate score would make it less easy to mask poor pedestrian protection.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

...there are NON-structural things that can affect a cars rating in Europe that manufacturers would be allowed to go away and alter before retest and in the case of the E60...would probably be down to software for example:

seat belt reminder system - signal should be loud and clear but not annoying.
points awarded for systems that meet the protocol requirements are added to the overall points score which in turn generates the occupant protection star rating.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Contributors

I edited my previous post and added the pedestrian thing.. This is also interesting.

Quick Reply: EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60