Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Changes in HP ratings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw an article today stating that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is implementing new rules for rating horsepower. Apparently it ups the ratings for some cars, reduces for others. No direct mention of BMW yet, but apparently the changes will affect the Japanese and European makers more than the domestics. No real changes in power, just the numbers.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0.../A01-283759.htm
Old 08-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus LS430 290hp re-rated down to 275hp. What a shame. BMW 225hp for sure will be the same. A lot of Japanese car will be affected.

GM seems to be underrated, and Japs car overrated, or may be Japs follow their own JSAE (Japanese Society Automotive Engineering) :thumbsdown:
Old 08-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by my530i' date='Aug 18 2005, 12:30 PM
Lexus LS430 290hp re-rated down to 275hp. What a shame. BMW 225hp for sure will be the same. A lot of Japanese car will be affected.

GM seems to be underrated, and Japs car overrated, or may be Japs follow their own JSAE (Japanese Society Automotive Engineering)? :thumbsdown:
[snapback]160701[/snapback]

Well, perhaps we won't be affected too much. This would certainly explain why 300hp G35s aren't mopping the floor with 3 series cars.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Members

It's weird. I always thought GM was overrating horsepower.

Apparently not.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Aug 18 2005, 06:05 AM
Saw an article today stating that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is implementing new rules for rating horsepower. Apparently it ups the ratings for some cars, reduces for others. No direct mention of BMW yet, but apparently the changes will affect the Japanese and European makers more than the domestics. No real changes in power, just the numbers.

[snapback]160524[/snapback]
Hey comeon dudes .

There is a actual standard for metrical ratings as Kw:s and Nm:s.
(Someday, maybe, we will talk the same tech tongue.)

Before that belive in supreme R6/V8 BMW tech.
And if not, go for compressors or turbos.
(BMW turbo engines will be here soon!)

But use mm tools with your BMW and your best behaviour for the Ladies!
Old 08-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DTAHT' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:05 PM

Yup, the Japanese cars will be decreasing a number of their HP ratings. GM will increase some, or stay the same. I would guess BMW will not change.

They should give rwhp as a spec - that's really the important number. Companies like BMW that build very efficient transmissions and drivetrains will benefit the most. Automatics and especially 4wd cars would see big drops. I've heard the quattro system loses close to 25% of the crank hp by the time it gets to the wheels.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Aug 19 2005, 12:13 PM
[quote name='DTAHT' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:05 PM']Saw an article today stating that the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is implementing new rules for rating horsepower. Apparently it ups the ratings for some cars, reduces for others. No direct mention of BMW yet, but apparently the changes will affect the Japanese and European makers more than the domestics. No real changes in power, just the numbers.

Yup, the Japanese cars will be decreasing a number of their HP ratings. GM will increase some, or stay the same. I would guess BMW will not change.

They should give rwhp as a spec - that's really the important number. Companies like BMW that build very efficient transmissions and drivetrains will benefit the most. Automatics and especially 4wd cars would see big drops. I've heard the quattro system loses close to 25% of the crank hp by the time it gets to the wheels.
[snapback]161128[/snapback]
[/quote]

Make that whp (wheel horsepower) as a spec.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote\]
the quattro system loses close to 25% of the crank hp by the time it gets to the wheels.
[quote]

That's why I don't like Audi. It cheats the handling around the curve by using AWD, increases weight, lowers gas milage, and finally is slower. Having AWD in SoCal and NorCal just like the fish having a bicycle.

The new net US SAE hp is measured with accessory loads such as alternator, water pump, etc. Without those, it's called gross hp.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 AM
Members

Cadillac made out like a bandit with the new rating system - their V class cars all got a nice bump.

The theory here is that BMW's won't be effected?

After this change, the infamous RX-8 hp debacle will have that car down to 87hp or something.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:56 AM
Senior Members

My buddy has an Acura TL, and, since this story appeared, I've been continously asking him what it feels like to have 238 horsepower under the hood.

Quick Reply: Changes in HP ratings?