Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Car and Driver "Five at Fifty" Comparison in Sep 2009 issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Munich77' post='958839' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:52 PM
I am not sure why they keep on complaining about I-drive...it seems to work fine for me.
+1

Pretty easy for me, make that very easy for me. In two years I got annoyed once when I couldn't find how to cancel a nav route. After that little hiccup I like the idrive. I'm usually a left handed driver, right arm on the console makes it effortless to switch radio stations or change to the CD player as the idrive knob is right under my hand.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='958853' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:12 PM
+1. you know what? if you cant get with the times, it is time for you to move on, bring in a younger crowd. i work with a guy that is like 65. he is horrible on comuters, which our job revolves around. i dont know what he used to do, maybe he was a smoke signal analyst or a telegraph intercept operator. now this guy is trying to work with high-tech devices. he doesnt even know what is going on around here... so he might think some of our technology is bad. guess what? TIME TO GO OLD MAN.

All the bad tech reviews come from the people that get mad when blockbuster doesnt have VHS tapes for them to rent anymore. Get with the program. in with the new. out with the old.

in the past 50 years on this planet, we have seen incredible technological advances. now the old timers are out of the loop and cant keep up. move over and let this 26 year old have your job. that is how i feel about MY job, that is how i feel about old men reviewing the i-drive. why dont you go review polydent.

I think what the elders on here are trying to say is that they feel they're feeling singled-out. Not to mention, you forgot women.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='958921' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:20 PM
If you ever have the time drop by and I'll teach you all about iDrive. BTW I am over 65. Do not "assume" age has anything to do with high tech capabilities. I can find you plenty of young idrive dummies. Actually iDrive kinda pales to launching rockets, missiles and exotic spacecraft. Twenty years ago when I brought 10 80286 chip based PCs the over 65 crowd ran circles around my under 30 year old PhDs. It's an individual thing or an unwillingness on the part of many to invest any time in learning.
You can't fool us, cobradav. We've all seen the movies, we know all you guys have to do is count backwards from ten and press a red button
Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='958853' date='Jul 29 2009, 06:12 PM
+1. you know what? if you cant get with the times, it is time for you to move on, bring in a younger crowd. i work with a guy that is like 65. he is horrible on comuters, which our job revolves around. i dont know what he used to do, maybe he was a smoke signal analyst or a telegraph intercept operator. now this guy is trying to work with high-tech devices. he doesnt even know what is going on around here... so he might think some of our technology is bad. guess what? TIME TO GO OLD MAN.

All the bad tech reviews come from the people that get mad when blockbuster doesnt have VHS tapes for them to rent anymore. Get with the program. in with the new. out with the old.

in the past 50 years on this planet, we have seen incredible technological advances. now the old timers are out of the loop and cant keep up. move over and let this 26 year old have your job. that is how i feel about MY job, that is how i feel about old men reviewing the i-drive. why dont you go review polydent.
It's maybe a bit of a mistake to assume that everyone who isn't smitten by iDrive had trouble learning to use or is generally troubled by technology. Some of us were disappointed by it not so much for what it was, but because the early implementations in particular were so far removed from what it could have been. iDrive isn't and never was hard to learn and use, for me I was disappointed mainly because of the obvious lack of processor power (translating to poor response times), poor haptic feedback and the design inconsistencies in the initial GUI and overall user interface. It just struck me as something of a wasted opportunity, and I always felt it was a great idea and a phenomenal concept that was let down, particularly in the early days, by its execution.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Contributors

i should have included women, and no, not all old people have trouble figuring out how to use a telephone. i was kind of being funny mote then i was facetious. i think the i drive could be so much more. i could write better software for the i drive.

i was making my statement based on the fact that GENERALLY older people are less tech saavy and GENERALLY older people do a lot of the reviews for things. this is not the case in every case (hmm that sounds vague).

sorry for offending anyone. I know some people that are their 60s and very sharp with technology, i know people in their 20s that dont even have internet. i was just making my statement off general ideas.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i - Bone stock... help!

So specifically what was it about the A6 that put it up in front over the 535i?

I've driven a recent A6 (last year) and, while a nice ride, isn't anything to write home about. What was the model they used? The 535i is a fantastic car and this surprises me a bit.

Like some of the others said, they probably don't like Idrive and the interior might not feel as well appointed as the A6, but that's subjective.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dirksqjaw' post='959045' date='Jul 30 2009, 12:08 AM
So specifically what was it about the A6 that put it up in front over the 535i?

I've driven a recent A6 (last year) and, while a nice ride, isn't anything to write home about. What was the model they used? The 535i is a fantastic car and this surprises me a bit.

Like some of the others said, they probably don't like Idrive and the interior might not feel as well appointed as the A6, but that's subjective.
I was puzzled by that too. They had an A6 with sports package and the new supercharged V6. At least the BMW was the fastest .
Old 07-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed

The last time I drove an Audi, it drove very nice, and handled like a BMW. But I hate the aluminum dash board on those things...I think most of them have it...hideous! In fact I hate the alunimum on my 535i steering wheel, but it's part of the Sports package, so I'll just have to get used to it.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:57 AM
Contributors

First of all i compleely disagree on the a6 being the same handling league as the bmw. I'm driving my best friend's a6 (he upgraded from a 3 series) and he and i agree there is no direct comparison with the 5er. Good handling for an audi, no argument but not quite the same league.
The interior is abit better on quality but i personally like the more "open" and fresh interior of the 5er.

As for i-drive and old people... Firstly whoever sais i-drive is a pita simply enough is behind times, nomatter the age. My father is 65, he's just short on my level on computers, knows more about downloading movies and syncronizing subtitles, took him 1 hour to get aquinted with the i-drive and sets up his alpine cda9855 which is considered one the most complicated radios.

People that can't get with time are those that don't bother or don't want to, old or young. There is the thing of low iq, but that's age independent.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by swajames' post='958951' date='Jul 29 2009, 11:03 PM
It's maybe a bit of a mistake to assume that everyone who isn't smitten by iDrive had trouble learning to use or is generally troubled by technology. Some of us were disappointed by it not so much for what it was, but because the early implementations in particular were so far removed from what it could have been. iDrive isn't and never was hard to learn and use, for me I was disappointed mainly because of the obvious lack of processor power (translating to poor response times), poor haptic feedback and the design inconsistencies in the initial GUI and overall user interface. It just struck me as something of a wasted opportunity, and I always felt it was a great idea and a phenomenal concept that was let down, particularly in the early days, by its execution.
I agree. I love the way my 550 drives which is why, to me, it is a superior car to its competitors. But I do not like the iDrive (and I have plenty of tech saavy). There are just too many clicks, pulls and spins to get from one function to another. My Infiniti M45's interface was significantly better. Perhaps the 2010 iDrive fixed some of the issues -- in particular, the turtle-like response times of some of the iDrive functions (especially with the Nav functions).

Quick Reply: Car and Driver "Five at Fifty" Comparison in Sep 2009 issue