Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Car and Driver "Five at Fifty" Comparison in Sep 2009 issue

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else read the "Five at Fifty" Comparison in Sep 2009 issue of C&D? C&D tested the Mercedes E350, Audi A6, Jaguar XF, Infiniti M35 and BMW 535i. Ironically, the results were simply the cars ordered in alphabetical order by manufacture.

was not surprised to see that the BMW placed so high but I was surprised that it placed second to the Audi A6. I guess Audi has come a long way. I never knew that we had a small trunk. The biggest surprise to me was that the new E-class lost by such a larger margin.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Curious. C&D has never knowingly missed an opportunity to award BMW the win (even the ones where a BMW doesn't actually participate). I'm surprised this one slipped through their usual quality control processes...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='958804' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:26 PM
Curious. C&D has never knowingly missed an opportunity to award BMW the win (even the ones where a BMW doesn't actually participate). I'm surprised this one slipped through their usual quality control processes...

Now now lets not be a poor sport...

Although the 3 series never seems to lose the 5 and 7 come in second or third etc plenty of times...
Old 07-29-2009, 04:39 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

C & D perennially dislikes I-drive. The only reason BMW doesn't get the top spot.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i * SMG * Sport * Premium * Cold * Nav * Logic 7 * 6-Disc * HUD * Comfort Seats * Sprint Booster * M-Tech Body Kit * 20" AC Schnitzer Type III Racing Wheels * Black Out Front Grille * Black/Silver Carbon Fiber Roundels * AC Schnitzer Trunk/Roof Spoilers * AC Schnitzer Billet Pedals

Originally Posted by ObD' post='958819' date='Jul 29 2009, 07:39 PM
C & D perennially dislikes I-drive. The only reason BMW doesn't get the top spot.
This.

Also, I was a MB guy prior to Pahm (my 550i). After driving both the E-Class (last year) and my baby, it was no comparison.

On an unrelated note, I just installed a sprint booster. WOW!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

I am not sure why they keep on complaining about I-drive...it seems to work fine for me.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by SpookyJohn' post='958831' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:47 PM
This.

Also, I was a MB guy prior to Pahm (my 550i). After driving both the E-Class (last year) and my baby, it was no comparison.

On an unrelated note, I just installed a sprint booster. WOW!
Congrats on the SB.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Munich77' post='958839' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:52 PM
I am not sure why they keep on complaining about I-drive...it seems to work fine for me.
+1. you know what? if you cant get with the times, it is time for you to move on, bring in a younger crowd. i work with a guy that is like 65. he is horrible on comuters, which our job revolves around. i dont know what he used to do, maybe he was a smoke signal analyst or a telegraph intercept operator. now this guy is trying to work with high-tech devices. he doesnt even know what is going on around here... so he might think some of our technology is bad. guess what? TIME TO GO OLD MAN.

All the bad tech reviews come from the people that get mad when blockbuster doesnt have VHS tapes for them to rent anymore. Get with the program. in with the new. out with the old.

in the past 50 years on this planet, we have seen incredible technological advances. now the old timers are out of the loop and cant keep up. move over and let this 26 year old have your job. that is how i feel about MY job, that is how i feel about old men reviewing the i-drive. why dont you go review polydent.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='958853' date='Jul 29 2009, 08:12 PM
+1. you know what? if you cant get with the times, it is time for you to move on, bring in a younger crowd. i work with a guy that is like 65. he is horrible on comuters, which our job revolves around. i dont know what he used to do, maybe he was a smoke signal analyst or a telegraph intercept operator. now this guy is trying to work with high-tech devices. he doesnt even know what is going on around here... so he might think some of our technology is bad. guess what? TIME TO GO OLD MAN.

All the bad tech reviews come from the people that get mad when blockbuster doesnt have VHS tapes for them to rent anymore. Get with the program. in with the new. out with the old.

in the past 50 years on this planet, we have seen incredible technological advances. now the old timers are out of the loop and cant keep up. move over and let this 26 year old have your job. that is how i feel about MY job, that is how i feel about old men reviewing the i-drive. why dont you go review polydent.

Respect your elders man! Listen, in 50 years, you very well could be the same shit when the 26 year olds of the day will have Flux Capacitors and Minority Report screens with friggen cyborg sluts in every home. Wait, now I'm dreaming.

Ok nevermind. I'm just secretly wishing the Holodeck will get invented already dammit!
Old 07-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='958853' date='Jul 29 2009, 09:12 PM

If you ever have the time drop by and I'll teach you all about iDrive. BTW I am over 65. Do not "assume" age has anything to do with high tech capabilities. I can find you plenty of young idrive dummies. Actually iDrive kinda pales to launching rockets, missiles and exotic spacecraft. Twenty years ago when I brought 10 80286 chip based PCs the over 65 crowd ran circles around my under 30 year old PhDs. It's an individual thing or an unwillingness on the part of many to invest any time in learning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car and Driver "Five at Fifty" Comparison in Sep 2009 issue