Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

Breaking News - Bangle Quits BMW!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know my BMW technical info., but did he design the E60? I gotta say, it was a huge change from the E39, but if he was the one responsible for it, it's still one amazing looking car. I know he did the previous 7er, and I really had no problem with that either. Bang Butt my ass.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

sorry I disagree with everyone here. I think Chris Bangle took BMW design to where you either hated it or you liked it. I hated his designs, especially the newer models. Best shape BMW for me, E34 shape. For me alone perhaps, I am happy to see mr.bangle go. Should have gone a long time ago.

I certainly hope BMW comes back to where it used to be and win back sales from the likes of mercedes and audis. IMO, while BMW got lost in design, mercs and audis took a similar lines to the older BMWs.

Not wanting to start a war of words,... I accept you all like the guy and his designs. Each to his own I say. But this being a forum, I personally feel, BMW design will once again appeal to the mass.

cheers
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Clearly, he was the master behind the bold new look. Agree with the love it or leave it impact of BMW designs under his leadership but --- we're all here talking about it aren't we? Seems ominous that he got up and rolled out like that. The article talks about his wanting to look at endeavors beyond the auto industry! Sounds like a cover up to me?!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

If a BMW looked like shit, but each and every engine had the genius that was behind the N54, which is arguably one of the best engines made, then I'd still choose a BMW. What appeals the most to me about BMW is the engineering behind it. There's German engineering and then one step up from that is BMW engineering. Some care about the aesthetics , but I say, if the M5 can beat the RS6 the next time around, then nothing else matters. Audi has really made leaps and bounds in both aesthetics and engineering. The cars look really nice and finally appeals to both a casual driver that wants an Ax or the guy that wants to have some more fun in an Sx or RSx
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='784255' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:21 PM
sorry I disagree with everyone here. I think Chris Bangle took BMW design to where you either hated it or you liked it. I hated his designs, especially the newer models. Best shape BMW for me, E34 shape. For me alone perhaps, I am happy to see mr.bangle go. Should have gone a long time ago.

I certainly hope BMW comes back to where it used to be and win back sales from the likes of mercedes and audis. IMO, while BMW got lost in design, mercs and audis took a similar lines to the older BMWs.

Not wanting to start a war of words,... I accept you all like the guy and his designs. Each to his own I say. But this being a forum, I personally feel, BMW design will once again appeal to the mass.

cheers
I honesty mean this politely....Why did you buy the 535 if you hate the way it looks?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

c'mon bimmer is bimmer; we will always have faith in their decision making, as long as performance is not compromised.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525

BMW needs to step up, a good design shouldn't take 2 years to grow on you.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I hope the new head designer will go easier on the electronics. Why can't they make an enthusiast car? Although I really like the looks on the E90 and E60, I'm not too crazy about their electronics. I wasn't too crazy about his idea of an all-cloth car, either. Good luck to him and let's go easy on the technology until it's proven.....
Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Motor Trend's article Interview: Chris Bangle, BMW's Design Chief says:

Love or loathe his work, Bangle's impact on auto design has been profound. No other designer, not even legendary GM design chief Harley Earl, has so rapidly become a part of the industry lexicon. To "bangle" a design is now an auto-industry verb for ruining it. Auto writers use "Bangle butt" to describe a tail with an extra layer of metal on the trunk (think new Mercedes S-Class). Bangle, some rivals will remind you, is only one letter away from "bungle."

Chris, we hardly knew ye! Illegitimi non carborundum!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I agree with all of you who said that Bangle's impact on Automobile Design has been of nothing less than historic proportions. I personally like most of his designs in finished form - the '03 745, the new 6 (though Adrian was already on hand for this one). As for his concepts, I think they were too raw, like the Z9 concept or that quirky rear door/hatch/god knows what else on the X-Coupe. Which, coincidentally, always led me to believe that BMW is mostly an engineering company, rather than the one that spends more on design concepts (like, say, certain Korean brand, who's badge looks like a tripped out Honda emblem). Whatever the impact, I think we have a lot to thank Chris Bangle for (leaving the car industry is likely to be one of those things - at least for some).

Now that Chris Bangle's officially out, allow me to say HOORAY!!! - not because Bangle's gone, but because I've always loved Adrian's designs way better - every single one that I've seen. I've always considered him to be the more talented one and ultimately the "power behind the Bangle throne". Now, the balance is restored. I'm looking forward to the new cars sure to come from BMW now. I, for one, know that now the design will get even better.

Quick Reply: Breaking News - Bangle Quits BMW!!